Register now to remove this ad

Page 193 of 410 FirstFirst ... 93143183191192193194195203243293 ... LastLast
Results 2,881 to 2,895 of 6142

Thread: 2017/18 Hot Stove Thread

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Status quo in a window period is not a rational approach, even if it means a bad contract.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I am very near certain, DD is not thinking status quo, despite the Moreland re-signing.
    So, you both are on board with signing JD to $210 mil/ 7 years, if that's what it takes?

I am very near certain, DD is not thinking status quo, despite the Moreland re-signing.
    FTR, I am also very near certain that Dombrowski will make a major acquisition of some sort. Not that I will necessarily agree with what he does, but I'm almost certain he will do something big.

Quote Originally Posted by OH FOY! View Post
    What if Hanley's shoulder surgery is the difference. You got him next year, at a decent price, and your in the ballpark for say Machado, or Donaldson. Forget JD.
    I would like to sign JD if we can sign him for 5 years or less.

But I agree with you that Hanley's surgery might really make a difference with his performance. Again, I would be okay with keeping our offense as is.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    So, you both are on board with signing JD to $210 mil/ 7 years, if that's what it takes?
    No. He will not get $210M/7 from anybody.

I'm thinking $125M/5 will be the top offer, but I might go as high as $130M/5 or $150M/6, if that's is what it will take to get him.

FTR, I am also very near certain that Dombrowski will make a major acquisition of some sort. Not that I will necessarily agree with what he does, but I'm almost certain he will do something big.
    I'd be fine with acquiring a top pitcher instead of JD, but I'd prefer we add major power.

I'm usually all about pitching, and maybe I have more faith in Price, Porcello & Pomeranz than is deserved.

Deity
    I am certainly with the majority here in my thinking that that offense needs the big bat. Where I might differ from some I guess is that the number of years is a lot more important than the money it takes. I don 't think I would go beyond the five year deal but the $ figure just is not all that important. Something between 125 and 150.

Deity
    I'm not even certain Dombrowski is still alive. There haven't been that many signs of life this off-season.

And bringing Mike Olt on board doesn't count

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    I am certainly with the majority here in my thinking that that offense needs the big bat. Where I might differ from some I guess is that the number of years is a lot more important than the money it takes. I don 't think I would go beyond the five year deal but the $ figure just is not all that important. Something between 125 and 150.
    So, which would your prefer?

$150/6 deal ($25M x 6)

or

$161M/7 ($23M x 7)?

For $11M more, we save $2M a year for 6 years both in real dollars and luxury tax costs.

I'm thinking this might get it done....

$130M/5 ($26M x 50) with an option for a 6th season at $20M with a $5M buy out, making it...

$135M/5 or $27M/5 but a luxury cost of $22.5M (essentially: $135M/6)
    or
    $150M/6 ($25M x 6)

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    I am certainly with the majority here in my thinking that that offense needs the big bat.
    Those who say we don't necessarily need a good bat may in fact be correct. But I would rather err on the side of more offense this year.

Those who say we could really use another starting pitcher are right, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Those who say we don't necessarily need a good bat may in fact be correct. But I would rather err on the side of more offense this year.

Those who say we could really use another starting pitcher are right, too.
    What's the chances DD does both?

Can't go over the big penalty level - you know the math.

Not getting a big bat is not acceptable. Status quo in a window period is irrational.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Dombrowski is at the B’s game tonight INSTEAD OF SIGNING THE FA’S WE NEED!
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Dombrowski is at the B’s game tonight INSTEAD OF SIGNING THE FA’S WE NEED!
    Hopefully, he is working the phone.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

It would be a lot higher if Boy Blunder had not shot the Sox wad on Fatboy and the Sloth.

Imagine if this team had another 41 mil to spend.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."