Register now to remove this ad

Page 376 of 410 FirstFirst ... 276326366374375376377378386 ... LastLast
Results 5,626 to 5,640 of 6142

Thread: 2017/18 Hot Stove Thread

  1. #5626
    Quote Originally Posted by Emp9 View Post
    So we got

    1Sale
    2Price
    3Porcello
    4Pomeranz (forearm strain)
    5And whoever really

    Last time I checked (which was yesterday), Pom’s injury wasn’t that serious and there’s a strong likelihood he still starts the season.

    Later in the season we should get Erod & Wright back (guessing about 3 months from now). Then we have 4 other minor league SPs to fill in any rotational gaps along the way.

    What’s everyone freakng out about? Our 5th Starter? Am I missing something?
    No one's freaking out. We do have some legitimate health concerns with our rotation. They may end up being fine. They just as easily might end up not being fine. I just think that having as much depth and flexibility as possible makes good sense.

  2. #5627
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    I agree, and said something similar in another post.

    I won't blame him if the starting pitching is healthy but underperforms, but I will blame him if we lack the starting pitching depth that we need to get through the season.
    We already lack the starting pitching depth to get through the season, as things stand right now.

  3. #5628
    When does price pitch next? He holds the keys to our season in his damaged elbow.

  4. #5629
    Quote Originally Posted by FredLynn View Post
    We already lack the starting pitching depth to get through the season, as things stand right now.
    We don't really know this.

    We have ERod and Wright returning at some point- maybe earlier than we think.

    If Pom stays healthy, we could be okay with just needing one 6th starter until one of those two return.

    I'd like to add some inexpensive depth, but I'm not sure what's left.

    Johnson has been on the 40 man roster since 2015. He's dealt with health issues here and there, but he's 27 now and has plkayed 3 years of college ball and 8 years of professional ball. It's finally time, once and for all, to find out what this guy can do. If he fails, we can finally clear his dead weight roster spot. If he does well, we'll have save money for a summer pick-up.

    Velazquez is 29. He's played in professional ball since 2010 and been under a 3.00 ERA for the last 3 years in a row. I'd like to see what he's got. He looked good in a tiny sample size last year, so let him show what he's got.

    Keep a short leash on both of these guys, and if the suck, trade for a guy and use the $4M remaining on a pro-rated deal.

    Also, Elias looked good in Seatlle for a year or two. He's been on the 40 man since 2015. He also has dealt with injuries, but has looked good so far this Spring and had a nice winter league session. I'm not going to say, "He deserves a shot," but I wouldn't be very surprised, if he does well when called upon.

    Beeks, Haley and Shepherd are a long shots.

  5. #5630
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    When does price pitch next? He holds the keys to our season in his damaged elbow.
    I don't know what you're talking about. He has an elbow that magically repairs itself.
    "Let's go!" - Joseph Kelly Jr

  6. #5631
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I don't know what you're talking about. He has an elbow that magically repairs itself.
    Once a guy has an elbow problem like Price, they are on TJ watch forever after. The same is true of Tanaka. Hopefully, Price will be as fortunate as Tanaka and be able to perform at a high level and avoid surgery.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    [T]he conclusion to be drawn is that there is no practical value in seeking this ideal lineup, and in that case any way in which it might be meaningfully termed "best" is irrelevant, academic at best, pedantic at worst
    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Unlike hot streaks and clutch, the “Cliff” is a myth. It can’t be defined, and it’s future existence cannot be proved.

  7. #5632
    Someday, Astro is going to pull a little too hard on his dog leash and Price's elbow will be done forever. RIP.

  8. #5633
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    We don't really know this.

    We have ERod and Wright returning at some point- maybe earlier than we think.

    If Pom stays healthy, we could be okay with just needing one 6th starter until one of those two return.

    I'd like to add some inexpensive depth, but I'm not sure what's left.

    Johnson has been on the 40 man roster since 2015. He's dealt with health issues here and there, but he's 27 now and has plkayed 3 years of college ball and 8 years of professional ball. It's finally time, once and for all, to find out what this guy can do. If he fails, we can finally clear his dead weight roster spot. If he does well, we'll have save money for a summer pick-up.

    Velazquez is 29. He's played in professional ball since 2010 and been under a 3.00 ERA for the last 3 years in a row. I'd like to see what he's got. He looked good in a tiny sample size last year, so let him show what he's got.

    Keep a short leash on both of these guys, and if the suck, trade for a guy and use the $4M remaining on a pro-rated deal.

    Also, Elias looked good in Seatlle for a year or two. He's been on the 40 man since 2015. He also has dealt with injuries, but has looked good so far this Spring and had a nice winter league session. I'm not going to say, "He deserves a shot," but I wouldn't be very surprised, if he does well when called upon.

    Beeks, Haley and Shepherd are a long shots.
    I think I would hold my nose and take a flyer on Buchholz-minor league contract only. There are too many question marks healthwise for this rotation.

  9. #5634
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Someday, Astro is going to pull a little too hard on his dog leash and Price's elbow will be done forever. RIP.
    Nah, he walks Astro righthanded.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    [T]he conclusion to be drawn is that there is no practical value in seeking this ideal lineup, and in that case any way in which it might be meaningfully termed "best" is irrelevant, academic at best, pedantic at worst
    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Unlike hot streaks and clutch, the “Cliff” is a myth. It can’t be defined, and it’s future existence cannot be proved.

  10. #5635
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Why would Lackey want to return to Boston? He hated here.
    But I understand that he loved the chicken and beer.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    [T]he conclusion to be drawn is that there is no practical value in seeking this ideal lineup, and in that case any way in which it might be meaningfully termed "best" is irrelevant, academic at best, pedantic at worst
    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Unlike hot streaks and clutch, the “Cliff” is a myth. It can’t be defined, and it’s future existence cannot be proved.

  11. #5636
    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    But I understand that he loved the chicken and beer.
    Is the Popeye's near Landsdowne still open?

  12. #5637
    Quote Originally Posted by FredLynn View Post
    I think I would hold my nose and take a flyer on Buchholz-minor league contract only. There are too many question marks healthwise for this rotation.
    Supposedly Buchholz is still having health issues. Someone posted he was not able to pass a physical, which would not be surprising and explain why he has not received a minor league deal from anyone yet...

  13. #5638
    if we brought in any starter at this point in trainers my camp, I think it is very unlikely they could be ready for opening day. We are basically launching with a half dozen pitchers on the shelf.

    Time for the AAAA pitchers to step up!

  14. #5639
    Johnson or Velazquez would be fine for a few weeks.

  15. #5640
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Johnson or Velazquez would be fine for a few weeks.
    Maybe. Why not have a few more options and simply pick the best one? Not sure why so many people are opposed to minor league deals that carry ZERO risk.

    If Velasquez and Johnson are good enough, what is the risk in having them compete with a veteran or two on a minor league deal to earn the spot?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •