Register now to remove this ad

Page 183 of 410 FirstFirst ... 83133173181182183184185193233283 ... LastLast
Results 2,731 to 2,745 of 6142

Thread: 2017/18 Hot Stove Thread

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
    The rumours are all off the same article to be fair. There isn't new news on the topic, just recycled news.
    True. "Recycled news" is the story of this winter so far...

Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    That's too much money to reward a punk with just because he can play baseball.
    I don't even know how to respond to this.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Macholo IS a punk.

I can't stand to even look at him.

I have felt this way since long before the Pedroia collision.

Never the less, he is very talented.

I would never pay him 8/300.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    Macholo IS a punk.

I agree with you with respect to how you feel about Machado. I also agree with SS too. The but for me is that I'm not sure that currently we don't already have a few punks playing for us. If we were able to sign Martinez, I would trade Bogaerts and a couple of prospects for him even if it was just for one year. If it worked out, try to sign him. if it didn't so be it. Losing Bogaerts doesn't concern me all that much. As for the prospects - oh well. Part of my feeling this way is that I am absolutely positive that the Yankees would shit themselves if they thought they had to face that potential lineup when they play. The Sox could then market their new revenue creator - Dirty Dave's special hemorrhoidal cream - Yankee fans would pay a premium for it. They would need it.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    Macholo IS a punk.

I recall a writer's label -- "He's a little loudmouth punk" -- in this 2008 ESPN story about Dustin Pedroia

http://www.espn.com/espnmag/story?id=3512455
    Last edited by harmony; 01-03-2018 at 04:42 PM.

As has been said, if you want someone to find an orange three-toed elephant on line then Harmony's your man, even if he has to go back ten years to do it.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    I recall a writer's label -- "He's a little loudmouth punk" -- in this 2008 ESPN story about Dustin Pedroia

http://www.espn.com/espnmag/story?id=3512455
    Not really a 'label', the comment was half in jest and part of a profile that was very favorable to Pedroia.

Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    As has been said, if you want someone to find an orange three-toed elephant on line then Harmony's your man, even if he has to go back ten years to do it.
    lulz
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    When you don't have any pitching you have to get it from trades or free agency. Dombrowski did both and has been lambasted in some quarters for virtually every big-ticket move.
    Because he overpaid on both counts and because he overdid it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flap View Post
    I'm with you... I've never agreed with the premise that the opt-out is only good for the player. Even if Price had three healthy, Cy Young caliber years in Boston, I'd still happily let him walk and let someone else overpay for his mid and late 30's, knowing we got what was likely the best part of the original deal at a reasonable price and could then spend that $30 million on younger players.

I'd probably never offer a long-term contract without one.
    I agree as well, as long as the Sox aren't tempted to re-sign Price for even more money.

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    If Eric Hosmer has a seven-year, $147 million offer from the Kansas City Royals, as reported:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...als/998796001/

... I suspect J.D. Martinez will get better offers.

The loser of the apparent Hosmer bidding contest between the Royals and the Padres may turn their attention to Martinez.
    Thank goodness Dombrowski signed Moreland is all I have to say.

Just say NO to Machado. Please.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flap View Post
    I haven't found a link for this yet (will post it if I do), but over on SoxProspects it was posted that Jim Bowden said in a discussion on MLB Network that the Red Sox had offered a position player off their MLB roster (maybe Bogaerts?) and Jason Groome for Machado. Since that, meager as it is, is as close to real news as we've had in a while, I was curious what you all thought.

For my part, though I'd love to have Machado the player, trading significant assets to rent him for one year just doesn't make sense. In a down year for both, Machado wasn't significantly more valuable than Bogaerts in 2017 (2.8 vs 3.2 fWAR / 3.5 vs 2.2 bWAR), while Xander comes with an extra year of control and I still don't feel like we've seen his best yet.

I can't see it...and yet the rumors aren't going away.
    this is the same way we got pedro...i would not like losing xander either.i'd like to move him to second and see what happens with pedrioa

price will not opt out and walkaway from $127,000,000.00 at his age.no one will pay him anywhere near that for four years or even five.who walks away from that?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by baseball jones View Post
    price will not opt out and walkaway from $127,000,000.00 at his age.no one will pay him anywhere near that for four years or even five.who walks away from that?
    He only does if he has a terrific season and thinks he can get more years or if he just wants out of Boston.

Odds are he stays...