Register now to remove this ad

Page 305 of 335 FirstFirst ... 205255295303304305306307315 ... LastLast
Results 4,561 to 4,575 of 5015

Thread: A Realistic View at 2018: Part I

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    You do know that Sox can only carry 25 players, right?
    Yeah, who would want Moustakas over Marrero or Holt. (Sarcasm alert)

We could also have traded players (Leon or Swihart) to make room for more bargain basement signings.

I hated the Moreland signing, but now it looks worse then awful.

I'm not complaining about the JD signing. I liked it.

I'm just saying we may look back and say we'd have done better with this... instead of that...

This...
    Morrison (1B)
    Moustakas (3B) (Devers to DH)
    Nunez
    Pitcher

instead of....

JDM
    Moreland
    Nunez

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Yeah, who would want Moustakas over Marrero or Holt. (Sarcasm alert)

We could also have traded players (Leon or Swihart) to make room for more bargain basement signings.

I'm just saying we may look back and say we'd have done better with this... instead of that...

This...
    Morrison (1B)
    Nunez
    Pitcher

instead of....

JDM
    Moreland
    Nunez

Come on brother, I thought you were a huge fan of moreland’s? Weren’t you the guy telling us that Moreland was custom built to Fenway and you predicted goldschimdt type numbers this year?

[QUOTE=moonslav59;1121692][B]Yeah, who would want Moustakas over Marrero or Holt. (Sarcasm alert)

This...
    Morrison (1B)
    Nunez
    Pitcher

instead of....

JDM
    Moreland
    Nunez

Why would I want to move my young 3B to DH so early in his career? You don't think it would have devastating effect on him? Essentially you're saying Devers can't play defense at major league level. So you lie to him and say but we want you to keep practicing at 3B?

You're better poker player than I am. DD jumped on first chance to stabilize 1B spot. I think he likes Moreland. There's no way I waited until March 9th sign a position player. JD was different. DD realized JD did not have much of an alternative. He's going to make more money as DH than Ortiz ever did.

Quote Originally Posted by Natick to NC View Post
    Betts
    Nunez
    JD
    Devers
    Benny
    Ramirez
    Swihart
    X
    JBJ
    This is a deep scary order .
    Especially when JBJ and Xander go on a tear.

Moustakas signs for $6.5M! What a steal!

$5.5M/1

$1M buyout on mutual option 2nd year at $15M.

Stunning. The guy was projected to get 5/85. And of course he turned down a 17.4 QO.

Just be thankful the Yanks didn't swoop in on this, I guess.

Why would I want to move my young 3B to DH so early in his career? You don't think it would have devastating effect on him? Essentially you're saying Devers can't play defense at major league level. So you lie to him and say but we want you to keep practicing at 3B?

I'd like to give time to Devers to develop his defense at 3B, but when a guy like Moose comes around at $7M/1, and you had a way to make him fit, you could jump at it.

Devers' defense is a significant negative right now, and we have a short window to win it all.

Devers could still have played 3B when Moose rested, and we could have DH'd Moose some, too.

You're better poker player than I am. DD jumped on first chance to stabilize 1B spot. I think he likes Moreland. There's no way I waited until March 9th sign a position player. JD was different. DD realized JD did not have much of an alternative. He's going to make more money as DH than Ortiz ever did.

I get this, and that's why I prefaced my statement with, "In hindsight, we may look back..."

DD did not know prices were going to drop this much.

Again, I like the JD signing, but these bargain deals look too good to not think, "what if...?"

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Stunning. The guy was projected to get 5/85. And of course he turned down a 17.4 QO.

Just be thankful the Yanks didn't swoop in on this, I guess.
    They may be poised to swoop in on Arrieta at $9M x 1 or something like that!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Especially when JBJ and Xander go on a tear.
    I just want X to become the player we need him to be ...he can breathe down there .

Moon you're right along with others about the Mitch sign was an absolute butcher move by Dave ...I'm sorry but I'd be blowing the payroll up to get Arietta ...screw it and find a taker for a guy or two later next week ...pitching pitching and more pitching
    Last edited by Natick to NC; 03-09-2018 at 08:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Natick to NC View Post
    Moon you're right along with others about the Mitch sign was an absolute butcher move by Dave ...I'm sorry but I'd be blowing the payroll up to get Arietta ...screw it and find a taker for a guy or two later next week ...pitching pitching and more pitching
    Poor Dave, he can't win...even when he has the most patient offseason of his life, he's still not patient enough.

Arrieta would be smarter to hold out the whole year than to play for 9M.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Poor Dave, he can't win...even when he has the most patient offseason of his life, he's still not patient enough.
    Now I can once again agree with you Bellhorn. I like that. DD did what he felt needed to be done. He did well. No one could have accurately predicted what the market was going to do any more than they can predict what will happen going forward. Hindsight, hindsight, hindsight. We here tend to do this (second guess) the decisions made by our GMs in general. People can hate the Moreland sign all they want it still was not a bad sign - actually a good one at the time. Moreland represents the type of player I want to see in a Red Sox uniform.

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    Now I can once again agree with you Bellhorn. I like that. DD did what he felt needed to be done. He did well. No one could have accurately predicted what the market was going to do any more than they can predict what will happen going forward. Hindsight, hindsight, hindsight. We here tend to do this (second guess) the decisions made by our GMs in general. People can hate the Moreland sign all they want it still was not a bad sign - actually a good one at the time. Moreland represents the type of player I want to see in a Red Sox uniform.
    And how many people that are complaining about it now were in a huff over it when the contract was signed?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    And how many people that are complaining about it now were in a huff over it when the contract was signed?
    An excellent point. Maybe DD should have read the fine print on the job description contract - need to also be a fortune teller!

I believe the good news in ALL of this is that with very few player exceptions, owners have come to their senses. I'm just now worried about having to give Betts a $300M, 10 year contract.

A case can be made for offering high dollar one year deals. Would Kimbrel reject a 'qualifying' offer as an example? I just don't see a Chapman deal for Kimbrel.