Register now to remove this ad

Page 303 of 335 FirstFirst ... 203253293301302303304305313 ... LastLast
Results 4,531 to 4,545 of 5015

Thread: A Realistic View at 2018: Part I

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Answer to corruption in college basketball according to talking heads is to pay the athletes.

Are they really THAT DUMB?

If you pay the 'students-athletes' living wages, no one thinks that someone out there won't offer MORE money to entice a player to come?

And what are they really saying? Obviously they think college education has NO VALUE to them. These morons don't realize how expensive it is to attend Duke, just as an example?

What about title IX issues and non revenue sports? No one thinks that someone will challenge the policy of only football and basketball players getting 'paid'?

Start a minor league system or better yet, make high school seniors eligible for the draft.
    Many of the reported cases were for minor infractions like parents being invited to lunch by an agent and no school involvement. Why throw them into the same category as where a coach discusses paying big money to an athlete to get them to attend their school. Clearly there are corrupting influences and they infect some of the football and basketball programs. You mention Duke for instance and they have a clean program as far as I know but the ESPN talking heads live by formenting controversy instead of reporting the true situation. Something great about young kids going out and playing their hearts out. I don't have the same feeling about the NBA players or games.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    Any trade that we make should consider what we do if Bogeyor Devers happen to be injured. Some of our options are Nunez, Marrero and Lin. We need to keep at least one utility player who can play solid defense at those positions. Marrero and Lin can do that, Nunez can but is not as capable defensively.
    Probably Nunez would be the guy. His good offense would hopefully outweigh the poor defense. Marrero & Lin could be defensive replacements.

By signing Nunez, you filled an opening day hole. What you also did is potentially fill any IF hole in the meantime. Flexibility will be key. If Pedroia cannot come back or comes back a shell of himself, you have his replacement. Should Bogey go down, Nunez can slot in for a bit at SS. Should Devers go down, Nunez can head there. Should Moreland go down, Devers can slide over and Nunez can take 3b. This is akin to what the Yanks did with Drury. You can create a super-team, but if your depth is thin, you're an injury away from being bad
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    By signing Nunez, you filled an opening day hole. What you also did is potentially fill any IF hole in the meantime. Flexibility will be key. If Pedroia cannot come back or comes back a shell of himself, you have his replacement. Should Bogey go down, Nunez can slot in for a bit at SS. Should Devers go down, Nunez can head there. Should Moreland go down, Devers can slide over and Nunez can take 3b. This is akin to what the Yanks did with Drury. You can create a super-team, but if your depth is thin, you're an injury away from being bad
    Perhaps the best defensive position Nunez plays is LF, and with no OF depth, except the "fragile" JDM, maybe Nunez sees more action in the OF than IF once Pedey returns. I'm not even talking out of injury. We could see JBJ slumping or Beni struggling vs lefties by June, and maybe Nunez plays the OF. (This assumes Pedey comes back FT at 2B.

Cora wants Travis to learn the OF:

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/r...hows_off_power

A talk with Beeks:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/re...1II/story.html

Word on Buttrey's chang-up:

http://www.masslive.com/redsox/index...ox_pros_2.html

A talk with Tanner Houck:

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/r...rough_pipeline

Notes from soxprospects.com:

Blake Swihart has caught and played first base so far this spring, and getting playing time in the outfield seems like a good possibility for the soon-to-be 26-year-old. With his talent and the way he is hitting this spring he has earned a spot on a major league roster, and if that team is the Red Sox he will need to play multiple positions with Christian Vazquez and Sandy Leon on the roster.

With Steven Wright and Eduardo Rodriguez unlikely to be healthy enough for Opening Day and Drew Pomeranz now dealing with a mild flexor strain in his left forearm, Brian Johnson is the top in-house candidate to open the season as the fifth starter. Johnson has allowed two hits and struck out two without allowing a walk in his four innings this spring, including two scoreless innings against the Yankees on Saturday.

Positional versatility is clearly a desirable trait for Alex Cora, and he has mentioned Marwin Gonzalez a few times this spring as he stresses the importance of a player being able to field multiple positions. Cora coached Gonzalez on the Astros last season, and Gonzalez played every outfield position and every infield position except for catcher, all while hitting .303. In addition to Travis, Cora has played Esteban Quiroz in the outfield this spring even though he was exclusively an infielder over the last two years.

Wright had the same procedure are Pedroia and he isn't ready for prime time. Just an FYI. If Pom misses time, then the sox roll out of camp with Sale, Price, Porcello, Johnson, ??. The way the sox schedule is set up, you will need a 5th starter on April 2nd then not again until April 14th. Maybe Velazquez makes that April 2nd start and the sox hold Pom back until April 12th. That pushes Johnson back to the 14th. The schedule is really whacky. You will need a 4th and 5th starter first time through, but with the off days built in for the sox return to Fenway, you can run 3 starters out there for a turn before you have to use your 4 and 5 again. Gives the sox time to baby Pomeranz and an outside chance that ERod is ready by then
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Wright had the same procedure are Pedroia and he isn't ready for prime time. Just an FYI. If Pom misses time, then the sox roll out of camp with Sale, Price, Porcello, Johnson, ??. The way the sox schedule is set up, you will need a 5th starter on April 2nd then not again until April 14th. Maybe Velazquez makes that April 2nd start and the sox hold Pom back until April 12th. That pushes Johnson back to the 14th. The schedule is really whacky. You will need a 4th and 5th starter first time through, but with the off days built in for the sox return to Fenway, you can run 3 starters out there for a turn before you have to use your 4 and 5 again. Gives the sox time to baby Pomeranz and an outside chance that ERod is ready by then
    Don't count out Elias.

I actually think one or two of these four will be alright.

Johnsom

Velazquez

Elias

Beeks

I just hope we don;t have to go through 2-3 massive failures to find the one or two that work out.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Is there any MLB team out there that does not have a 25 man roster crunch and could use 2 of our out-of-options players?

In theory, I'd like to make a 2 or 3 for one trade for a decent 5/6th starter or a better LH'd RP'er than we have. My idea would look something like this:

Trade:
    Johnson, Marrero and Travis
    For:
    A better SP'er than Johnson

Or,

Trade:
    Hembree, Marrero and Ockimey (Beeks?)
    For:
    A LH'd RP'er (or 5/6 starter)

Or, we could just trade one out-of-options player for a player with options or a prospect.
    I don't think guys like Marrero and Hembree carry a world of trade value, And dealing Hembree might create a Boggs in the pen, although not a huge one. The guy whose trade value might be piquing right now is Swihart, and as of now he is a bench option. If the Sox are going to make a move to bolster pitching and create a roster spot, Swihart would be the easiest to move and certainly get back a better player than Marrero would.

Not sure who would be available for Swihart. Certainly not Chris Archer or equivalent. So it comes down to who helps the overall team more: Swihart? Our a pitcher who can be acquired for Swihart (and ancillary pieces)?

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I don't think guys like Marrero and Hembree carry a world of trade value, And dealing Hembree might create a Boggs in the pen, although not a huge one. The guy whose trade value might be piquing right now is Swihart, and as of now he is a bench option. If the Sox are going to make a move to bolster pitching and create a roster spot, Swihart would be the easiest to move and certainly get back a better player than Marrero would.

Not sure who would be available for Swihart. Certainly not Chris Archer or equivalent. So it comes down to who helps the overall team more: Swihart? Our a pitcher who can be acquired for Swihart (and ancillary pieces)?
    I'm not thinking we'd get anyone great- just someone slightly better at a position of need in exchange for 2 guys with no options. The overall return value could even be a little less, if it's a position of need and we clear up roster issues from all these out-of-options players.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post

I do hope we could wait on dealing Swihart until he hypothetically could build up more value. A great Spring training can only go so far and I’d hate to sell low on a former #1 prospect who 1) was rushed to the majors in the first place, and 2) who’s only real fault was getting hurt.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Emp9 View Post
    I do hope we could wait on dealing Swihart until he hypothetically could build up more value. A great Spring training can only go so far and I’d hate to sell low on a former #1 prospect who 1) was rushed to the majors in the first place, and 2) who’s only real fault was getting hurt.
    I agree with you Emp. I'm not sure what ultimately happens with Swihart but the only place I have heard much about possibly trading him is on this board. I suspect he'll make the 25 man and if he stays healthy and hits he'll see playing time somewhere. They won't just give away a guy with his potential. They really don't have any major pressing needs at this time.

I'm for keeping Swihart, at least for a few more months. I wanted him to stay, even before his hot start.

If he fizzles out, it's not like we can later say, we missed a chance at getting someone really good in March.

I like the idea of being able to PH for a catcher- maybe even twice in a game. Our catching position is, by far, our weakest offensive position.

Swihart can also play 1b and OF, so we can avoid playing JD in the OF, if Swihart hits well this year.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I'm for keeping Swihart, at least for a few more months. I wanted him to stay, even before his hot start.

If he fizzles out, it's not like we can later say, we missed a chance at getting someone really good in March.

I like the idea of being able to PH for a catcher- maybe even twice in a game. Our catching position is, by far, our weakest offensive position.

Swihart can also play 1b and OF, so we can avoid playing JD in the OF, if Swihart hits well this year.
    If we can keep Swihart, what do you all think of this lineup?

Benitendi, LF
    Betts, RF
    Martinez, DH
    Ramirez, 1B
    Devers, 3B
    Pedroia, 2B
    Swihart, C
    Bogaerts, SS
    Bradly JR, CF

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    I agree with you Emp. I'm not sure what ultimately happens with Swihart but the only place I have heard much about possibly trading him is on this board. I suspect he'll make the 25 man and if he stays healthy and hits he'll see playing time somewhere. They won't just give away a guy with his potential. They really don't have any major pressing needs at this time.
    I read a recent article that other teams are already inquiring about Swihart. Teams are smart, they’re looking to buy low. I just hope we’re smarter. I think there’s a good chance he cld increase his value over the course of a few months. Could be our best chance (a solid piece in a tade) to aquire another SP later on if need be.