Register now to remove this ad

Page 304 of 335 FirstFirst ... 204254294302303304305306314 ... LastLast
Results 4,546 to 4,560 of 5015

Thread: A Realistic View at 2018: Part I

Quote Originally Posted by kenmeister View Post
    If we can keep Swihart, what do you all think of this lineup?

Benitendi, LF
    Betts, RF
    Martinez, DH
    Ramirez, 1B
    Devers, 3B
    Pedroia, 2B
    Swihart, C
    Bogaerts, SS
    Bradly JR, CF
    I don't think Swihart will start at the catcher position much, but he probably would be the best offense at the position of the 3.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Emp9 View Post
    I read a recent article that other teams are already inquiring about Swihart. Teams are smart, they’re looking to buy low. I just hope we’re smarter. I think there’s a good chance he cld increase his value over the course of a few months. Could be our best chance (a solid piece in a tade) to aquire another SP later on if need be.
    There is a chance that he ultimately gets traded I guess - I hope not though. I think that there is also a chance that he winds up playing a very significant role for us going forward. Some of that will be determined I think by whether or not his catching skill improves. I know that I am wearing the label of being a DD lover but one thing I think I can say is that Dombrowski is not likely to be outsmarted by any other GM out there. He is an old horse trader.
    Last edited by cp176; 03-08-2018 at 05:38 PM.

I can see not wanting to carry 3 catchers, but since Swihart can play 1B & LF, I think we can make it work, even if just for the first part of the season.

I would not trade Swihart after a small ST'ing bump in his value. He could end up being worth much much more.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I can see not wanting to carry 3 catchers, but since Swihart can play 1B & LF, I think we can make it work, even if just for the first part of the season.

I would not trade Swihart after a small ST'ing bump in his value. He could end up being worth much much more.
    Especially to a team with a you-know-what possibly looming in its future.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Especially to a team with a you-know-what possibly looming in its future.
    He does have 4 arb years starting in 2019.

Vaz and Leon have 2 more arb years.

Quote Originally Posted by bellhorn04 View Post
    especially to a team with a you-know-what possibly looming in its future.
    Cliff Lee.jpg

You talking about me, punk? Where in the hell is Kimmi?
    Last edited by Nick; 03-08-2018 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Cliff Lee.jpg

You talking about me, punk? Where in the hell is Kimmi?
    I love you too Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    I love you too Nick.
    You do know that it's Mr. Lee?

I'm not against Swihart making the roster, and I'm going to be excited if he does and rooting for him but...BUT (but usually precedes something stupid, eh?). But he's out of options. My point is, I'm not going to be crying foul if they decide to keep him in Pawtucket.

If Swihart is struggling at the MLB by the time Pedroia comes back the Sox are going to have a tough decision to make.

Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    I'm not against Swihart making the roster, and I'm going to be excited if he does and rooting for him but...BUT (but usually precedes something stupid, eh?). But he's out of options. My point is, I'm not going to be crying foul if they decide to keep him in Pawtucket.

If Swihart is struggling at the MLB by the time Pedroia comes back the Sox are going to have a tough decision to make.
    The guy always had natural ability. I just don't think it simply goes away. He has no trade value. I'd keep him.

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    There is a chance that he ultimately gets traded I guess - I hope not though. I think that there is also a chance that he winds up playing a very significant role for us going forward. Some of that will be determined I think by whether or not his catching skill improves. I know that I am wearing the label of being a DD lover but one thing I think I can say is that Dombrowski is not likely to be outsmarted by any other GM out there. He is an old horse trader.
    I’d like it better he stuck on and contributed long term, sure. But if he got his value up close to what it was ( & I’m going w/ a 65% chance that could happen) getting something of value back in a trade later in the season could be huge for our chances this year. These are best case scenarios. But for the fans that think we need another meaningful SP, this could be our only chance to get one. So, by all means, either way, root for Swihart.

Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post

Yes, and a decision to make about where Nunez gets continued PAs.

At that time, we might have a catcher on the DL or know enough about Swihart's relationship with our staff to feel secure enough to trade or dump Leon.

Another option would be to trade JBJ for a SP'er, use JD and Nunez in LF and move Beni to CF. This seriously hurts our OF defense, but the offense could be stronger. How good the pitcher we get in return would be the key for me agreeing with this plan. Swihart could then play some DH or 1B or LF as HRam DHs or sits so as not to vest.

There's all kinds of scenarios that could allow Swihart to play more often, if he is doing well.

If he's not doing well, the choice will actually be easier.

I'm hopeful.

Moustakas signs for $6.5M! What a steal!

$5.5M/1

$1M buyout on mutual option 2nd year at $15M.

I'm starting to wonder, if we might have spent our money in a better way.

Low risk- short term deals to 3-4 players instead of one big one for JD.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Moustakas signs for $6.5M! What a steal!

$5.5M/1

$1M buyout on mutual option 2nd year at $15M.

I'm starting to wonder, if we might have spent our money in a better way.

Low risk- short term deals to 3-4 players instead of one big one for JD.
    You do know that Sox can only carry 25 players, right?

Betts
    Nunez
    JD
    Devers
    Benny
    Ramirez
    Swihart
    X
    JBJ
    This is a deep scary order .