Register now to remove this ad

Page 101 of 168 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,515 of 2514

Thread: Fire alex cora

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Eye witness convictions are overthrown on DNA evidence every day.
    An eyewitness is still the best evidence. As I said before, there are numerous ways to impeach or discredit an eyewitness, but once you are confronted with an eyewitness you have an uphill battle to discredit them. They can be discredited by showing that the witness made a deal with the prosecution or they have a personal bias against the defendant. The reliability of an eyewitness is especially reliable in a case when they know the defendant. It's pretty hard to discredit them in that case.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

While that all might be true, certainly there are also static’s about the reliability of eyewitness testimony with regards to other forms of proof.

If someone makes a comparitive statement that eyewitness testimony is the least reliable form of proof, then what forms are less reliable? I take it you’re an attorney. Or were one. If so, did you prefer eyewitness testimony over, say, DNA testing? If so, why? And I get maybe the answer is “because juries believe it better” or “juries identify with it better.” But again, does that make it more accurate?
    It depends on the case. In a murder case, I'll take an eyewitness over any other evidence.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    Now that we've established that it is their ability to "handle situations", why is it so difficult to think that there's a difference between the ... say... top 20% of MLB players and everyone else in their ability to handle those situations. And isn't how they handle situations pretty much the definition of 'clutch'?

BTW, to be plain, I'm not saying that something magical happens at the 21st %..it's a sliding scale.
    ACtually we seem to play the reputation game and make oput own determinations of when pressure happens.

ARod, for example, has a reputaton as a choker, despit eactually having a lot of post-season success. But no one really remembers him for that? And there is always the issue of deciding that just because it is the post-season, it's a high pressure clutch game. (Was his 3 for 5 in the 19-8 blowout in the 2004 ALCS really clutch?) Part of it was, lets' face it, ARod is not likable. But overall, the guy had an .822 OPS in the post season, which is not bad for a guy with 300 PA's spread out over 20 years.

Ortix was a post-season monster in his ABs. and is known for it. But also had a lot of post-season vanishing acts. We all remember nd sing songs about the 2004 ALCS and the 2013 World Series. But no one ever talks about the disaster Ortiz was in the 2008 and 2009 postseasons. and really, really, while he is remembered for the grand slam of Benoit in the 2008 ALCS that was just out of Torii Hunter's reach, mo one ever mentions that he only had one other hit in that entire series. But he was also Papi, and he was loved...

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    Don't confuse reliability with persuasiveness.

Eyewitness testimony may be highly persuasive with a jury despite its documented lack of reliability.
    I am not confusing anything.

Deity
    It depends on the case. In a murder case, I'll take an eyewitness over any other evidence.
    Even DNA?

Woud you prosecute a client if an eyewitness claimed he saw it but DNA exonetated him? (I'm trying to keep this in the realms of what evidence is trustworthy and not a decision made by legal ethics. If this is a straight up ethics question to you, just say so and in that case I don't need an answer.)

I can go on all day with some of the more argumentative members who love to challenge everything I say. Of course eyewitness testimony can be wrong. People also lie. That is why we have the constitutional right to confront our accusers. That being said, every lawyer loves to have eyewitness testimony on their side. To make a blanket statement that eyewitness testimony is unreliable is a ridiculous and untrue generalization. That is the last that I have to say on it, but feel free to argue about matters about which you know nothing besides baseball.

ACtually we seem to play the reputation game and make oput own determinations of when pressure happens.

ARod, for example, has a reputaton as a choker, despit eactually having a lot of post-season success. But no one really remembers him for that? And there is always the issue of deciding that just because it is the post-season, it's a high pressure clutch game. (Was his 3 for 5 in the 19-8 blowout in the 2004 ALCS really clutch?) Part of it was, lets' face it, ARod is not likable. But overall, the guy had an .822 OPS in the post season, which is not bad for a guy with 300 PA's spread out over 20 years.

Ortix was a post-season monster in his ABs. and is known for it. But also had a lot of post-season vanishing acts. We all remember nd sing songs about the 2004 ALCS and the 2013 World Series. But no one ever talks about the disaster Ortiz was in the 2008 and 2009 postseasons. and really, really, while he is remembered for the grand slam of Benoit in the 2008 ALCS that was just out of Torii Hunter's reach, mo one ever mentions that he only had one other hit in that entire series. But he was also Papi, and he was loved...
    Anecdotal evidence!

(But I will admit there's the possibility that the personality of those two has a lot to do with how their accomplishments are viewed). LOL
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    Anecdotal evidence!

(But I will admit there's the possibility that the personality of those two has a lot to do with how their accomplishments are viewed). LOL
    We both have seen statheads look for some stat that supports their bias. It happens everyday. Even an introductory course on statistics will show you how to manipulate date. The argument that statheads don't employ bias is completely bogus.

Not true.
    ??? Which part isn't true?
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    ??? Which part isn't true?
    Generally not true... sort of like generalizing that eyewitness testimony is unreliable.

Deity
    Generally not true... sort of like generalizing that eyewitness testimony is unreliable.
    Would it be fair to say eyewitness testimony is less reliable than other forms of evidence?

Would it be fair to say eyewitness testimony is less reliable than other forms of evidence?
    No, that would also be an inaccurate generalization. Everything depends on the facts of the case. DNA can be very unreliable. For instance, showing that someone's DNA is on a knife or at a crime scene means very little if they owned the knife or the crime scene is their home. I am done with debating this on this forum. I was just pointing out that your statement was a very inaccurate generalization. Statements on message boards can be very unreliable.

I would argue the counterpoint that just because they exist in Little League or high school doesn't mean they exist in MLB. We are dealing with elite athletes here, the bst in the world.

I've said before that even the worst player in MLB is better at baseball (not MLB-caliber baseball, but baseball in general) than any of us are at anything. A big part of the reason any of these players can rise to be among the best 750 players in the world is their ability to handle competitive pressures most of us simply don't and can't understand. The talent gap between, say, the 700th best player in the world and the 800th best player in the world probably isn't that large, but what can separate them is their psychology and ability to handle situations. And that is why one is in MLB and the other is in AAA.

It's like how any athlete can dominate lesser competition but how many can step up against equal or better? If you've ever watched a dominant college athlete fail miserably in the pros, you know what i am talking about here...
    MLB players use those terms all the time. And they believe in them. Clutch, momentum, and chock do not disappear when a player goes to college....
    other names i have posted under: none

It's pointless to argue with a legal professional who refuses to admit into discussion the difference between "best" (meaning most useful in court or in demagoguery) and "accurate." This difference was recognized in ancient times, but the study of rhetoric (essentially training in legal or quasi-legal speech) always focused on 'persuasion', and thus a number of early philosophers rejected the entire field. There seems to me no substantive difference in the various arguments here--only on what the topic of discussion is.

Quote Originally Posted by jad View Post
    It's pointless to argue with a legal professional who refuses to admit into discussion the difference between "best" (meaning most useful in court or in demagoguery) and "accurate." This difference was recognized in ancient times, but the study of rhetoric (essentially training in legal or quasi-legal speech) always focused on 'persuasion', and thus a number of early philosophers rejected the entire field. There seems to me no substantive difference in the various arguments here--only on what the topic of discussion is.
    You are misrepresenting what I have said.