Register now to remove this ad

Page 119 of 169 FirstFirst ... 1969109117118119120121129 ... LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,785 of 2531

Thread: Fire alex cora

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    That's interesting, because that's one of the reasons I DON'T want him back. I've said before that it's no guarantee either side will want to reunite, and I see hiring back as a horrible PR move for the Red Sox FO, and I personally will lose respect for them if they rehire him. Cheaters shouldn't be rewarded, even if they apologize. At least not yet. I want a longer probationary period. 1 year to me, a season that is washed out, is just a slap on the wrist.
    I predict in the future -- as wounds heal, confessions are heard and memoirs are published -- public opinion of Cora and the "scandal" will shift. Especially when real crimes by athletes are bound to be committed that dominate the news. Maybe OJ will even find the killers.

In concept, what the entire Houston organization did was an extension of what many -- probably most, if not all -- MLB analytics departments did, are doing, or will do: and that is, seek to find an edge... in a sport where stealing signs has always been an accepted part of the game.

What was different about the Astros' system -- and that is definitely a pun -- is 1. They were caught on video, 2. They won, and 3. The MLB was forced to make an example of them... mainly because of the national story that basically rubbed their success in the faces of other teams who weren't as good at succeeding.

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    I predict in the future -- as wounds heal, confessions are heard and memoirs are published -- public opinion of Cora and the "scandal" will shift. Especially when real crimes by athletes are bound to be committed that dominate the news. Maybe OJ will even find the killers.

In concept, what the entire Houston organization did was an extension of what many -- probably most, if not all -- MLB analytics departments did, are doing, or will do: and that is, seek to find an edge... in a sport where stealing signs has always been an accepted part of the game.

What was different about the Astros' system -- and that is definitely a pun -- is 1. They were caught on video, 2. They won, and 3. The MLB was forced to make an example of them... mainly because of the national story that basically rubbed their success in the faces of other teams who weren't as good at succeeding.
    Just because everybody else is doing it doesn't mean it's right
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

Stealing signs on both offense and defense has always been ingrained in the culture of baseball. It's not only condoned, but encouraged by the management of every team, from at least the high school level on up.

The MLB brought this on itself by installing video for live in-game use in every clubhouse. That's as practical as handing the keys to your house to burglars and saying, "You can take whatever you want, as long as you promise not to touch the jewelry box full of gold and silver on the dresser."

Human nature : We tend to discount, excuse or soft pedal bad behavior by those who we otherwise like .

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    Human nature : We tend to discount, excuse or soft pedal bad behavior by those who we otherwise like .
    True enough. My position here is just that Cora's punishment was sufficient for what he did.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    True enough. My position here is just that Cora's punishment was sufficient for what he did.
    I can agree with that. I just don't want him back and frankly, I don't understand why most people assume that he will automatically be back. Who says we want him back? Who says he wants to come back? Who says other teams don't want him? Too many moving parts

In sports, yes it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I agree with that . A one year suspension seems fair .

Quote Originally Posted by jad View Post
    In sports, yes it does.
    Colleges paying/bribing athletes to come play for them? Baseball players taking steroids? Professional cyclists doping? Russian Olympic athletes doping? Are all of those "right" to you?

I get that peer pressure makes it hard to resist, and even threatens your livelihood since it raises the level of competition unfairly, but you're just as much in the wrong as anybody else if you do it. It takes a certain kind of individual to sacrifice the money, performance, and fame now to take the high road, and let the truth come out later on.

Colleges paying/bribing athletes to come play for them? Baseball players taking steroids? Professional cyclists doping? Russian Olympic athletes doping? Are all of those "right" to you?

I get that peer pressure makes it hard to resist, and even threatens your livelihood since it raises the level of competition unfairly, but you're just as much in the wrong as anybody else if you do it. It takes a certain kind of individual to sacrifice the money, performance, and fame now to take the high road, and let the truth come out later on.
    Yup. It's sports, not life. If "EVERYONE" is doing it (that's what you said, not that "SOME" people are doing it), then it's not cheating.

Quote Originally Posted by jad View Post
    Yup. It's sports, not life. If "EVERYONE" is doing it (that's what you said, not that "SOME" people are doing it), then it's not cheating.
    Well some of the examples I mentioned had criminal consequences, and at the very least ruined and ended careers. You'd seriously be okay going to jail just to compete with others in your sport? Wow

Stealing is just part of sports: stealing bases, stealing the basketball, stealing the puck, stealing a soccer ball, intercepting a football...

In baseball, there's always subterfuge. Base-stealing helps the offense, and a smart defense seeks to prevent it by being prepared and knowing when attempts may occur. So players and coaches try to steal signs for stealing, as well as strategies like bunts and hit-and-runs. They watch sequences of hand signals, look for repeated patterns, try to crack codes.

The offense tries the same, studying batteries, as well as managers and coaches in dugouts (and even middle infielders opening and closing their mouths before every pitch). Of course such schemes and maneuvering include studying video, before and after games -- and during, once it became available. They're not allowed eye-in-the-sky coaches stationed above the action in press boxes like in football, but they'll take what they can get.

Most of us here are Red Sox fans, but let's be honest: do any of us really think there was just one rogue video guy breaking unrealistic "rules"? The lack of uproar around the MLB regarding Manfred's Boston report shows nobody really cares, and for a reason...

But when a cocky player like Bregman tweets braggadocio, pimps HRs and carries his bat to first base, people want to take him and his mates down.

FIRE HIM.
    still has that cheater stink on him too.
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    FIRE HIM.
    still has that cheater stink on him too.
    Are you new here?
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Are you new here?
    i like your new sig
    other names i have posted under: none