Register now to remove this ad

Page 93 of 168 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103143 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,395 of 2514

Thread: Fire alex cora

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    54.574%
    Excellent - I just knew that the answer was easily attainable.

Now don't leave me hanging. How about question number two?

Deity
    54.574%
    I'm taking the over...

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I'm taking the over...
    I like that too...

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    Excellent - I just knew that the answer was easily attainable.

Now don't leave me hanging. How about question number two?
    Too subjective for me to answer. I couldn't find anything on Baseball Reference or fangraphs.

Sox 4 Ever

Deity
    Too subjective for me to answer. I couldn't find anything on Baseball Reference or fangraphs.

Once again an excellent answer. I kind of hope that we all have a little stat geek as well as some old school stuff running through us. It's why I don't like labels. Much much too restrictive.

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    Once again an excellent answer. I kind of hope that we all have a little stat geek as well as some old school stuff running through us. It's why I don't like labels. Much much too restrictive.
    I have had OCD since childhood. I used to channel it towards scoring every Sox game over the radio or TV and mulling over stats and data. That being said, I played sports every waking hour I was free from school, sleeping or eating. We used to shovel my driveway to play basketball in winter. We'd have to bring the ball inside and run hot water over it, because the cold made it go flat. The dirt and grime on the ball literally wore all my finger prints off my chapped fingers- no joke.

I used to take medicine for the OCD, but I stopped many years ago. I still have tendencies to get caught up in data, but I channeled some into my work and into my biggest two passions: the Red Sox and contract bridge.

I tried out for the University of Notre Dame baseball team and made the first cut, but I never really had a chance as a walk-on. I player inter-hall sports at ND, which was very high level- lots of all state players. The football was in pads. We won the football championship my freshman year (I was a WR & DB.) and my senior year (I was the QB and DB.) The pick-up basketball games at The Rock, often included guys like Orlando Wooldrige and football players that we all state in high school basketball.
    We also won the basketball championship my freshman year, and I was our high scorer in the final game. I was a fierce competitor, and maybe that comes out here, at times, when I feel challenged or put down.

I don't think I fit into any one category. I am certainly a "stat geek," but not in a way maybe most people think about them. I've played the game to know enough about team chemistry and all the intangibles and nuances that go into winning or losing.
    Sox 4 Ever

Deity
    I have had OCD since childhood. I used to channel it towards scoring every Sox game over the radio or TV and mulling over stats and data. That being said, I played sports every waking hour I was free from school, sleeping or eating. We used to shovel my driveway to play basketball in winter. We'd have to bring the ball inside and run hot water over it, because the cold made it go flat. The dirt and grime on the ball literally wore all my finger prints off my chapped fingers- no joke.

I used to take medicine for the OCD, but I stopped many years ago. I still have tendencies to get caught up in data, but I channeled some into my work and into my biggest two passions: the Red Sox and contract bridge.

I tried out for the University of Notre Dame baseball team and made the first cut, but I never really had a chance as a walk-on. I player inter-hall sports at ND, which was very high level- lots of all state players. The football was in pads. We won the football championship my freshman year (I was a WR & DB.) and my senior year (I was the QB and DB.) The pick-up basketball games at The Rock, often included guys like Orlando Wooldrige and football players that we all state in high school basketball.
    We also won the basketball championship my freshman year, and I was our high scorer in the final game. I was a fierce competitor, and maybe that comes out here, at times, when I feel challenged or put down.

I don't think I fit into any one category. I am certainly a "stat geek," but not in a way maybe most people think about them. I've played the game to know enough about team chemistry and all the intangibles and nuances that go into winning or losing.
    We share a lot of the same things - some of which are good and some of which not so.

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    I still find myself saying “basehit” every time there is a ball hit on the screws up the middle. More often then not it is an out now. Stupid shifts. I’m not sure if I will ever get used to them....
    As you know, I love analytics. That said, I am not a fan of the shift. I know they work, but I don't like them. Two infielders on each side of 2B.

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    i started using shifts 2 years ago with my 12U team. i chuckle everytime it works.
    One of my favorite baseball moments is still seeing Mookie waving his cheat card and smiling after he was positioned way off the right field line, and darned if the ball wasn't hit right to him.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, stat geeks, and geeks in general, are my favorite people in the world. They are awesome.

Have any of you ever read the comments posted in a Fangraphs article? Excellent stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, stat geeks, and geeks in general, are my favorite people in the world. They are awesome.

Have any of you ever read the comments posted in a Fangraphs article? Excellent stuff.
    Believe it or not... I have. And I found them fascinating.

I don't mean to minimize them, but while I find them fascinating I also take them with a grain of salt because they completely ignore the human element in the game. The only place I can think of immediately where statistics can almost guarantee a winner is in counting cards at blackjack and that's because it completely rules out the human element.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Deity

Blogging is as close as I get to OCD, but I too am a long time bridge player and loved all sports until about 40 when it boiled down to PT and golf. I only played one wonderful summer of Babe Ruth league, after which it was basketball, tennis, volleyball, softball, pool, ping pong, racquetball, squash, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Blogging is as close as I get to OCD, but I too am a long time bridge player and loved all sports until about 40 when it boiled down to PT and golf. I only played one wonderful summer of Babe Ruth league, after which it was basketball, tennis, volleyball, softball, pool, ping pong, racquetball, squash, etc.
    I was best at basketball but enjoyed football, baseball and softball more. I played volleyball and racquetball a lot- not much soccer. When young, I played hockey on an ice pond 3 houses down from my home. I dabbled in tennis but like team sports more. Never golfed.

I got into bridge in my mid forties and became the fastest ever to become a Bronze Life Master in the State of Maine. (I only play online, now.)

Nice to see we have many things in common.
    Sox 4 Ever

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    As you know, I love analytics. That said, I am not a fan of the shift. I know they work, but I don't like them. Two infielders on each side of 2B.
    I hate the shift, but it’s here until lefties stop playing launch ball and start going the other way...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I hate the shift, but it’s here until lefties stop playing launch ball and start going the other way...
    Agreed.

It also wouldn't be fair to the ghost of Ted Williams to now make it illegal.

It would be like the NCAA making dunking the ball illegal just because a big black guy was going to dominate the game, oh wait...
    Sox 4 Ever