Register now to remove this ad

Page 43 of 53 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: Stanton or Votto

The former Marlins President was on mlb radio today. He said the Marlins lost money 3 years straight. They built a deep offense, but when Jose Fernandez died, the pitching aspect fell to tatters. They don’t have the money to get pitching and their farm sucked. The Marlins were stuck being the Rangers of the early 00s. All offense, no pitching and multiple last place or 3rd place finishes. They had to tank and start over. There was no other way around it.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    The former Marlins President was on mlb radio today. He said the Marlins lost money 3 years straight. They built a deep offense, but when Jose Fernandez died, the pitching aspect fell to tatters. They don’t have the money to get pitching and their farm sucked. The Marlins were stuck being the Rangers of the early 00s. All offense, no pitching and multiple last place or 3rd place finishes. They had to tank and start over. There was no other way around it.
    1. They came in 2nd in the NL East last year.

2. They still have no farm.

3. They still have no pitching.

4. They're going to come in last in the NL East for a few years, but on the bright side no one will be there to see it...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post

4. They're going to come in last in the NL East for a few years, but on the bright side no one will be there to see it...
    Very true! Maybe they should start looking for relocation options now. Vegas for example!

I've always felt like North Carolina deserved a team.

No.

The Marlins had the option to NOT sell the reigning NL MVP for pennies on the dollar.

And they were in talks wth the Dodgers. Think the Dodgers got to offer 2 A-ballers and a $20mill MLB player?
    There's some interesting info on MLBTR about what the Dodgers reportedly offered for Stanton.

Yes they came in 2nd but they lost the division by 20 games. They missed WC#2 by 10 games. They weren’t heading for the playoffs even with their offense crushing balls left and right. Like I said, they were the Rangers of the early 2000s. They had massive power and put up runs, but their pitching was awful. And they were losing money. It’s okay to lose money when you’re top dog, you’ll recoup that value in the value of the franchise and eventually when you rebuild. But they were losing money and losing ball games. If I were Jeter, I’d sell off every guaranteed contract. I’d deal even the arb guys and pre arb guy. If you’re gonna suck, go all out in sucking. By the time the current pre arb guys hit FA, you’ll still be in the rebuild. I’d deal Osuna and Yelich. They have one young pitcher who had a good year, I deal him too. Go for the gusto, 40 wins, 3-4 years of 1st pick overall, load the farm, sign INTL players and rebuild the old fashioned way

The Dodgers reportedly wanted the Marlins to take either A-Gon or Kazmir plus eat 30 million of Stanton's contract.

One reason the Dodgers reportedly weren't as keen as the Yanks was the prospect of Stanton being a DH type in the last few years of his contract.

Sometimes the DH rule difference can be a significant factor in player transactions - maybe that's a good reason they should unify the league rules one way or the other.

All-Star
    Stanton was always going to be in control here, but I do think the Marlins played their cards poorly and could/should have been able to do better. Seems like a better way to go about things would have been to make a public show of wanting to keep and build around Stanton while privately figuring out what clubs he would accept and quietly seeing what could be worked out with those clubs; instead, they pissed away their leverage by making it known that Stanton HAD to be traded and by carrying on very public negotiations with teams he did not want to play for, and once he rejected those teams, they were fucked.

It's all an excellent case study in why never to give out unlimited no-trade clauses...

If you give them two nobody A-ballers, the Marlins will knock off $50mill.*

*Offer valid to New York Yankees only
    LOL I like this Mike Silva tweet:

Two things should come out of Stanton and NYY: collusion investigation on Jeter and proof they feel deep down Judge isn’t sustainable

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Stanton had control of the process here though. He got to pick and choose. It was a lot like a free agent signing.
    I wonder if Jeter got in his ear though, and talked the Yankees up to him. Or told him that you either agree to this trade or you'll be stuck here with a stripped down team. It is a little strange that Stanton was so set on going to the west coast but then seemingly agreed to the Yankees out of the blue.

No.

The Marlins had the option to NOT sell the reigning NL MVP for pennies on the dollar.

And they were in talks wth the Dodgers. Think the Dodgers got to offer 2 A-ballers and a $20mill MLB player?
    The Dodgers apparently were very wary of that contract, especially the fact that it's so back loaded. That being the case, they might not have been willing to take on as much money as the Yankees did, which seems to be the top priority for the Marlins.

The problem is Stanton is the guy most likely to generate any actual income for your team. He's a league MVP, HR champ and gate draw.

Meanwhile the Marlins are still paying Brad Ziegler ($7mill) and Junichi Tazawa ($5mill), and will pay yhe arbitration costs for Marcell Ozuna ($11mill projected) and Dan Straily ($4.6mill projected). Unloading those players, all of whom are tradable for something better than an A ball pitcher0, saves more money per year. Short term but you keep your best asset. and if Wei-Yin Chen ($54mill per 3 years) comes back healthy, he becomes a trade candidate.

And don't forget the reason Stanton got that contract in the first place was to show Marlins' fans this team wasn't always going to be about firesales and salary dumps Stanton received that offer in the wake of the Josh Johnson/Jose Reyes trade with the Blue Jays as a how of good intentions to the fans.

This trade just pounded the biggest nail into the Marlins' fanbase coffin. The man who was meant to be their symbol against firesale salary dumps was just dumped somewhere else for nothing.

It's a shame they worked so hard to make MLB pay for that big new stadium a few years ago. Maybe they can get some cash back there selling the chairs. They won't be needing them because whatever fans were left are not coming back this time...

But.hey, they saved a few bucks doing it.
    Swinging money around in baseball, in Florida, doesn’t work. Even if you do well, it’s not sustainable. Jeter is just doing what needs to be done in that market.
    "It happens to everybody, man. He's had 60 at-bats. A couple of years ago, I had 60 at-bats, and I was hitting .170, and everyone was ready to kill me, too. And what happened? Laser show. So, relax."

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flap View Post
    Stanton was always going to be in control here, but I do think the Marlins played their cards poorly and could/should have been able to do better. Seems like a better way to go about things would have been to make a public show of wanting to keep and build around Stanton while privately figuring out what clubs he would accept and quietly seeing what could be worked out with those clubs; instead, they pissed away their leverage by making it known that Stanton HAD to be traded and by carrying on very public negotiations with teams he did not want to play for, and once he rejected those teams, they were fucked.

It's all an excellent case study in why never to give out unlimited no-trade clauses...
    The Marlins did handle the whole situation poorly, letting it be known that dumping Stanton's contract was a priority. I don't know whether it was Stanton or the Marlins who leaked all the information about who he would accept a trade to, but that didn't help either.

Quote Originally Posted by NativeBostonian View Post
    Swinging money around in baseball, in Florida, doesn’t work. Even if you do well, it’s not sustainable. Jeter is just doing what needs to be done in that market.
    Giving Stanton that contract to begin with was stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    I wonder if Jeter got in his ear though, and talked the Yankees up to him. Or told him that you either agree to this trade or you'll be stuck here with a stripped down team. It is a little strange that Stanton was so set on going to the west coast but then seemingly agreed to the Yankees out of the blue.
    FWIW there's an interesting piece in the NY Post today suggesting that trading Stanton to the Yanks was not what he wanted to do.

https://nypost.com/2017/12/10/its-ki...g-the-yankees/