Register now to remove this ad

Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Pedroia undergoes microfracture surgery

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    What would you do with Swihart when Nunez is activated?
    I think the solution might be Nunez to the bench, Moreland to first, Hanley to DH, Martinez to LF, Benintendi to CF and Bradley to Pawtucket. Swihart will be unaffected.

But they could also DFA Swihart. It doesn't look like they will miss him...

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I think the solution might be Nunez to the bench, Moreland to first, Hanley to DH, Martinez to LF, Benintendi to CF and Bradley to Pawtucket. Swihart will be unaffected.

Does Bradley have options left? I thought they would need to put him through waivers in order to send him down.

Swihart is heading for a DFA. He's a first ball swinging guy without power or OBP. His worth was as a high average hitter for his position. Now that he has no position, he is effectively useless. Someone will snap him up off the DFA pile and try to resurrect his career as a catcher, but that ship has sailed in Boston
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by FredLynn View Post
    Does Bradley have options left? I thought they would need to put him through waivers in order to send him down.
    According to SoxProspects, he does have 1 left, and with 3 years service time, he can't turn down the assignment. But he didn't exactly light it up in AAA in 2014 when they sent him down under similar circumstances and you really have to wonder how he would take it now. As I've written, his hitting woes have crossed 2 managers and 3 hitting coaches.
    Last edited by illinoisredsox; 05-15-2018 at 10:38 AM.
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough

I think they will DFA Swihart if they can't trade him. I see them being very patient with Bradley.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Deity
    I think they will DFA Swihart if they can't trade him. I see them being very patient with Bradley.
    They can trade him after they DFA him, too...

They can trade him after they DFA him, too...
    If the Mets could trade a broken down Matt Harvey after DFAing him, I think we could get something for Swihart.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

The Mets didn't get much. Mesoraco is a shell of himself and being paid highly. Also, Harvey had been an ace. Swihart never did anything in the majors
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    The Mets didn't get much. Mesoraco is a shell of himself and being paid highly. Also, Harvey had been an ace. Swihart never did anything in the majors
    LOL! Mesoraca is now the Mets starting catcher, and he did hit a HR the other day for him. I doubt that we get a starting position player for Swihart.

LOL! Mesoraca is now the Mets starting catcher, and he did hit a HR the other day for him. I doubt that we get a starting position player for Swihart.
    Mesoraco being their starter isn't a positive notation for Mesoraco, rather a significant detractor of the Met's abhorrent catcher depth.
    Hal sucks

Mesoraco being their starter isn't a positive notation for Mesoraco, rather a significant detractor of the Met's abhorrent catcher depth.
    He still improved their team.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by illinoisredsox View Post
    According to SoxProspects, he does have 1 left, and with 3 years service time, he can't turn down the assignment. But he didn't exactly light it up in AAA in 2014 when they sent him down under similar circumstances and you really have to wonder how he would take it now. As I've written, his hitting woes have crossed 2 managers and 3 hitting coaches.
    They should send him down yesterday. Unfortunately, he has shown us exactly what he can do at the plate. Add to that the fact that he is uncoachable, and I think his future with this team is almost as nebulous as that of Swihart, who never got a fair chance at catcher and playing regularly.

Bradley is in a terrible slump. However , he has established himself as a major leaguer. Optioning him to Pawtucket would be a slap in the face. I doubt very much that is a consideration. Cora will continue to try and help him break out of it. When Pedroia returns , it should come down to a choice between Swihart and Leon. The other possibility is some manipulation of the D.L.

Deity
    Mesoraco is also a major leaguer. That isn't nothing.

Getting a 27yo AA player is nothing...

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    Bradley is in a terrible slump. However , he has established himself as a major leaguer. Optioning him to Pawtucket would be a slap in the face. I doubt very much that is a consideration. Cora will continue to try and help him break out of it. When Pedroia returns , it should come down to a choice between Swihart and Leon. The other possibility is some manipulation of the D.L.

Bradley has an OPS of .520. It would be a slap in the face if he had an OPS of .720, but right now he is showing the world he has some bugs to work out at the plate. He's been there before.

Sending him to AAA allows the Sox to keep everyone...