Register now to remove this ad

Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Pedroia undergoes microfracture surgery

Quote Originally Posted by Emp9 View Post
    "Right now Cora is making noises like he would like to set the first two in the lineup as Betts and Beni."

Unfortunately, I read that too. Ugh. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.
    I like the idea of Betts and Beni hitting one and two.

It only works if you have a real #3 hitter
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    It only works if you have a real #3 hitter
    What is a 'real' #3 hitter? I am sure that your idea of a #3 hitter is different than mine. The #3 guy should not be the best hitter in the lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    What is a 'real' #3 hitter? I am sure that your idea of a #3 hitter is different than mine. The #3 guy should not be the best hitter in the lineup.
    The #3 hitter is almost always the best hitter in the lineup
    Hal sucks

Teams are starting to move away from putting there best overall hitter up 3rd. Studies show it is wrong to put the best there, but I do think most managers still put the best up 3rd.

"Studies?" It's all about setting up your lineup. You want to stick the faster guys with good OBP ahead of the bigger power, best hitter guys since they can move base to base more frequently. The #3 hitter is also guaranteed to hit in the first inning, unlike the cleanup guy. I know the statheads think you should put your best hitter in the leadoff spot, but that also limits their ability to drive in runs as the lower OBP guys will be batting right in front of them when the lineup turns over
    Hal sucks

"Studies?" It's all about setting up your lineup. You want to stick the faster guys with good OBP ahead of the bigger power, best hitter guys since they can move base to base more frequently. The #3 hitter is also guaranteed to hit in the first inning, unlike the cleanup guy. I know the statheads think you should put your best hitter in the leadoff spot, but that also limits their ability to drive in runs as the lower OBP guys will be batting right in front of them when the lineup turns over
    Actually, the studies show putting your best up 2nd, if I'm not mistaken. (5th is also high.)

I'm with you though, I form my line-up like this:
    (Guidelines not set in stone- other factors are involved, but these are the major factors.)
    1) I start with the 3 slot and put my best combined OBP & SLG guy here. If it's a tie, I go with BA over BBs.
    2) I put my best OBP guy up 1st, unless he has power and I lack it with the next 7 guys.
    3) I put my next best OBP up 2nd.
    4) The best remaining overall hitter goes up 4th with power as a high second priority.
    5) The closest guy to the 4 slot criteria goes here.
    6-9) Best up higher-worst down lower

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    I like the idea of Betts and Beni hitting one and two.
    When we had Ortiz I was fine with it. If we get JD I'd be fine with it. Still, It's not what I'd do... and I also think it shouldn't be written in stone. As the season progresses we can get a feel for how we need it. Ex: Say 2 months in, XB's and/or Beni's BA & OBP is through the roof but still no power and Betts is looking like he'll put up 30HR again, I'll be looking for a change.

Deity
    Oh boy oh boy here we go. I actually agree with this old school, outdated, non intellectual, baseball way of looking at things.

just to keep updated, Kinsler just signed w/ the Angels. per MLBTR:The Tigers will receive right-hander Wilkel Hernandez and outfielder Troy Montgomery, according to Anthony Fenech of the Detroit Free Press (Twitter link). Montgomery ranks higher on MLB.com’s list of Angels prospects (No. 20 to Hernandez’s No. 24).

Not that I was expecting anything from the Sox.

Quote Originally Posted by Emp9 View Post
    just to keep updated, Kinsler just signed w/ the Angels. per MLBTR:The Tigers will receive right-hander Wilkel Hernandez and outfielder Troy Montgomery, according to Anthony Fenech of the Detroit Free Press (Twitter link). Montgomery ranks higher on MLB.com’s list of Angels prospects (No. 20 to Hernandez’s No. 24).

Not that I was expecting anything from the Sox.
    Trade not signing. The Angels agreed to pay his full remaining contract.

Deity
    The #3 hitter is almost always the best hitter in the lineup
    Bill James says the #2 hitter should be the best hitter in the lineup...

Quote Originally Posted by Fan_since_Boggs View Post
    I'm not going to go on and on about how much I hate the C.Sale trade, but, boy, do I hate that trade. If we don't make it, we add power to the lineup at 2b with Moncada (I think he will be a 30-30 player with a ton of strikeouts) and Kopech is one of he best SP prospects in the game.

I know C.Sale was great and the Red Sox don't win the division without him, but he was brought here to do more than win the division--he was brought here to help in October and he totally failed in that regard. In addition, it will take a few years, but just like you expected A.Rizzo to eventually surpass A.Gonzalez as a player, I would expect Kopech to be a better SP than Sale in a few seasons. That's when the trade will really hurt.
    How do the Red Sox get an ace that cheap without that trade? They can’t develop one.
    "It happens to everybody, man. He's had 60 at-bats. A couple of years ago, I had 60 at-bats, and I was hitting .170, and everyone was ready to kill me, too. And what happened? Laser show. So, relax."

Betts should be hitting third. Cora, this ain't Houston.

I like betts in the lead off role.

Betts
    Benintendi
    Pedroia (when healthy)
    JD
    Hanley
    Hosmer
    Devers
    Bogey
    Vazquez/Leon
    Bradley