Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Pedroia undergoes microfracture surgery

Pedroia undergoes microfracture surgery

He’s out until at least late May. Probably looking at the ASB
    Hal sucks

Thanks Manny!

There was an interview published yesterday with David Wright. In it he lays out what he went through when he had similar surgery. It's pretty fucking gruesome.

I don't count on Pedroia for anything in 2018 and I don't see ERod doing much either.

DD needs to go shopping for a #4 type or dumpster dive like Fister and he needs to find a decent 2nd baseman.

I doubt that he can fix all that is wrong with this team to the extent that they get to the WS in 2018.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

I'm thinking Brock Holt will be back after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I have never doubted this.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

I'm not going to go on and on about how much I hate the C.Sale trade, but, boy, do I hate that trade. If we don't make it, we add power to the lineup at 2b with Moncada (I think he will be a 30-30 player with a ton of strikeouts) and Kopech is one of he best SP prospects in the game.

I know C.Sale was great and the Red Sox don't win the division without him, but he was brought here to do more than win the division--he was brought here to help in October and he totally failed in that regard. In addition, it will take a few years, but just like you expected A.Rizzo to eventually surpass A.Gonzalez as a player, I would expect Kopech to be a better SP than Sale in a few seasons. That's when the trade will really hurt.

The FO is saying that Pedroia will be baseball ready in 7 months, which puts his return around the end of May. I'll believe that when I see it. These return timetables have a way of getting pushed back 1 or 2 times.

Marco Hernandez has been named as an internal option while Pedroia is out. I'd be fine with that, if indeed Pedroia makes it back in 7 months. But Dombrowski has to have a good Plan B.

Quote Originally Posted by Fan_since_Boggs View Post
    I'm not going to go on and on about how much I hate the C.Sale trade, but, boy, do I hate that trade. If we don't make it, we add power to the lineup at 2b with Moncada (I think he will be a 30-30 player with a ton of strikeouts) and Kopech is one of he best SP prospects in the game.

I know C.Sale was great and the Red Sox don't win the division without him, but he was brought here to do more than win the division--he was brought here to help in October and he totally failed in that regard. In addition, it will take a few years, but just like you expected A.Rizzo to eventually surpass A.Gonzalez as a player, I would expect Kopech to be a better SP than Sale in a few seasons. That's when the trade will really hurt.
    I wouldn't say that I hated the trade, but I definitely was not as ecstatic as most people here were. That said I love having Sale on the team. Way to soon to know how this pans out in the long run.

All-Star
    Betts back at second base. Stanton in right. 18 wins from Sale. We're good to go.

Legend
    Having had microfracture surgery (shoulder) I can say that for me at least it was useless. The cartilage that is formed is of poor quality. I would think that it being exposed to repeated trauma that professional athletes subject the new cartilage to means an even lower success rate. Probably time for Pedroia to hang them up.
    Here is one article that supports what I believe to be true:

"This research review in the Journal Arthroscopy reviewed 15 higher quality research papers that had been published about the effectiveness of microfracture. These studies usually compared the outcomes (how well patients fared) of microfracture to other cartilage repair techniques. Their conclusions? The majority of the studies reported poor clinical outcomes and two reported no improvements in the treated patients. Small-sized lesions and younger patients showed good results in the short-term. However, treatment failure could be expected within 5 years even in patients with small cartilage lesions.

The upshot? When you look at the high quality studies published on microfracture, despite its widespread use, it doesn’t work well. So why are we still performing this surgery?

"

All-Star
    I would no more count on Pedy for the future than I would Hanley.

Quote Originally Posted by FredLynn View Post
    Having had microfracture surgery (shoulder) I can say that for me at least it was useless. The cartilage that is formed is of poor quality. I would think that it being exposed to repeated trauma that professional athletes subject the new cartilage to means an even lower success rate. Probably time for Pedroia to hang them up.
    Here is one article that supports what I believe to be true:

"This research review in the Journal Arthroscopy reviewed 15 higher quality research papers that had been published about the effectiveness of microfracture. These studies usually compared the outcomes (how well patients fared) of microfracture to other cartilage repair techniques. Their conclusions? The majority of the studies reported poor clinical outcomes and two reported no improvements in the treated patients. Small-sized lesions and younger patients showed good results in the short-term. However, treatment failure could be expected within 5 years even in patients with small cartilage lesions.

The upshot? When you look at the high quality studies published on microfracture, despite its widespread use, it doesn’t work well. So why are we still performing this surgery?

"
    They're still performing the surgery because its the last resort before telling an athlete that their career is over. If it works, then the players career continues. If it fails, their career is over
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by bosoxmal View Post
    I would no more count on Pedy for the future than I would Hanley.
    Hanley has a greater chance of contributing in 2018, clearly.
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Fan_since_Boggs View Post

You know, I am not entirely sold on Moncada. He only had a .750OPS in his debut this season and thus far in the major leagues, he has only hit .229 career. Plus, for all the hype, he has stolen only 3 bases in 62 games and has 86K's in that same time frame. His abysmal start to his career is clearly telling of his inability to play baseball at a high level. Also, Moncada didn't knock the cover off the ball in AAA like I would expect a top prospect to do, so I expect him to be a platoon bat.....

Clearly I am trolling you, but when you tout a guy who had his struggles in Moncada as a potential 30-30 guy and yet piss on Clint Frazier (who is only 9 months older btw) who put up very similar offensive numbers in both AAA and the MLB, you look like a hypocrite or just a rosy red glassed ass kisser
    Hal sucks

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post

Or we could see if Tampa non-tenders Brad Miller. ..