Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sox Hire Tony La Russa

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    IIRC, the Astros are the first 100 win team to win the WS in a very long time
    The first time in one year.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I know! One whole season. But the sentiment is right. True #1 seeds guarantee very little.

If you do WS (best team - I mostly went with best record, but used some judgment to account for differences in division strength)
    2017: Astros won (Dodgers)
    2016: Cubs (Cubs)
    2015: Royals (Cardinals)
    2014: Giants (Angels)
    2013: Red Sox (Red Sox)
    2012: Giants (Nationals)
    2011: Cardinals (Phillies)
    2010: Giants (Phillies)
    2009: Yankees (Yankees)
    2008: Phillies (Rays)
    2007: Red Sox (Red Sox)
    2006: Cardinals (Yankees)
    2005: White Sox (White Sox)
    2004: Red Sox (Yankees)

So - realistically 5 times in 14 years where what felt like the best team did not win the title. I think this reflects the reality of baseball. While it is not purely random (the cream rises somewhat) ... there is almost never a baseball playoffs where I would bet ANY team against the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    The Cubs were a 103 win team- not 100.

LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    honestly you prefer 1st round KO's? that's my assumption.
    My preference is to not have to watch a team struggle 3 out of 4 years. Those summers were really rough to get through. I've already had 3 WS titles in my adult life, if they have to go a few more years before I see another, I'll be fine with it. I just don't want to suffer through many more last damn place seasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    My preference is to not have to watch a team struggle 3 out of 4 years. Those summers were really rough to get through. I've already had 3 WS titles in my adult life, if they have to go a few more years before I see another, I'll be fine with it. I just don't want to suffer through many more last damn place seasons.
    The GM's job is to put together a team that is projected to be competitive and make the playoffs. During the Henry era, every team put together has met that goal, including the teams that have finished in last place. The GM cannot control what happens on the field.

To that end, Dombrowski has done his job to date.

Fair.
    other names i have posted under: none

I understand your position. I hate finishing last or being out of playoff contention in early August. However, the experience of winning a championship is so overwhelming, I have to say, I' rather have the 2012-2015 four year period than the 2008-2011 four year period.

Plus, while I feel bad during the season, the off-seasons are worse when hope is low about next year's chances. I'll admit, I was not super high going into 2013, but every one of those four years showed promise before the year started but also a sense that the extended future was getting much brighter. The last few years of Theo's regime, I did not have that sense of long term promise, other than knowing we'd stay somewhat competitive due to alwayd being a top 5 spender. That's not quite as enjoyable as watching homegrown kids like Betts, Bogey, JBJ and others rise- some through periods of intense struggling.

I feel really good this winter. I'm not a DD basher. I'd have done a few thing differently, but I know I'm not an expert. I'd have done a few things differently with Ben and Theo, too. I'm fine with sacrificing some of the future for a window as wide as 3-4 years. I hate trading top talent for 2 month rentals. DD has avoided that, thankfully.

I'm hoping we win a ring in the next 2-3 years, but I realize we may pay for that a little bit by not being very competitive for a year or two afterwards. I lived the "come so close" era in Sox history that lasted decades. I suffered through over 3 decades of coming close. To me, it was not even close to being as good as the 4 year period under Ben- 3 last places and 1 ring.

Those three last place finishes were frustrating, because we didn't seem to have a last place roster. We didn't have a championship roster either, but a lot of players under performed.

Deity
    Might be an unusual thing for me to say but I really never suffered at all through all of those ever so close years. 86 hurt badly because I truly felt that we were the best of the bunch. It has always been about the season for me. i ran marathons and i believe that the baseball season is much like running one of those. it is about patience and just hanging in there - gutting things out. Winning championships is a fortunate bonus that came along for all of us to enjoy. Boston is the city of champions as far as I am concerned. I actually love the experience of the season much more than I do the playoff season to be honest with you. You have to get there first before you can win though. That is probably why I don't get too engaged when the talk turns to who performs better or best when the playoffs start. I will always take my chances with the guys who can get us there. I'm enjoying the Celtics right now but I will anxiously await the beginning of spring training. I like the cycle.

All-Star
    I hate trading top talent for 2 month rentals. DD has avoided that, thankfully.

Agreed...all of his big acquisitions have been guys who can help us for multiple seasons, which I appreciate. Doing something like trading a Gleyber Torres plus others for 2-3 months of Aroldis Chapman would kind of make me sick.

All-Star
    Obviously nothing compares to the experience of winning a championship, but with the postseason being a "crapshoot," as is so often said, consistently putting yourself in contention is the way to maximize your chances. The 2013 team was a one-and-done group that dispersed the next year, sandwiched between losing seasons...that doesn't make that season any less incredible and magical, but I also don't think it excuses all of the other missteps of the Cherington era. Ben always talked about wanting to build a consistent winner, but he didn't quite get to that point...Dave took what Ben left him and added to it to build a club that, though flawed, has won two division titles and, with some further moves this winter, should be right there again for the next couple of years at a minimum. Obviously the long-term ramifications are impossible to know right now and will be debated for a long time, but if the goal is a championship in the here and now, I think it would be tough to ask for much more than what Dombrowski has done.

You have a better chance of winning a WS if you are consistently in the playoffs. Riding a rollercoaster from last place to first place to last place is probably the worst way to achieve postseason success as it limits the opportunities to make a postseason run.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    The GM's job is to put together a team that is projected to be competitive and make the playoffs. During the Henry era, every team put together has met that goal, including the teams that have finished in last place. The GM cannot control what happens on the field.

To that end, Dombrowski has done his job to date.

I sort of agree.

Henry era:

2002 - gets a pass as he took over during the offseason
    2003 - great team
    2004 - great team
    2005 - team was obviously taking a step back with the starting pitchers being Arroyo, Wakefield, Miller, Wells and Clement, still competitive but WOOOF, also Rentawreck
    2006 - results weren't as good as 2005, but the team was in a much better position after adding Beckett and Lowell
    2007 - great team
    2008 - great team
    2009 - good team that overachieved while inserting young players
    2010 - good team, but OF became a mess after the Ellsbury injury and Pedroia only played 75 games, can't complain about 89 wins but it really felt like a lost season at the time
    2011 - good team that died at the end and became a mess of clubhouse drama
    2012 - ugh, by adding BV and going with the same clubhouse as the prior year, they were courting disaster and it came
    2013 - great team that saw FA players having career years
    2014 - offseason acquisition was AJ Pierzynski, basically counted on having to duplicate the 2013 seasons from aging players and hoping younger guys stepped up, did not work at all
    2015 - replaced Lester and Lackey with Porcello and Miley (5 ACES LOL), added Pablo and Hanley, also did not work but younger positional players were maturing and there was hope for the future
    2016 - good team, added Price to calm down the rotation, traded for Kimbrel, Mookie became MVP caliber
    2017 - good team, Sale was an ok pickup I guess

I think the only years I really have a bone to pick with were 2005, 2012 and 2014.

It makes sense that there would be a let down no matter what in 2005, but that rotation was really bad.

They should have made more of an effort in 2012 to remove some of the clubhouse stink and BV shouldn't have been allowed through the door.

2014 was similar to 2005, but it really felt like just throwing shit at the wall and hoping every young player worked out. That was the year Xander was moved to 3b, brought in Rusney, and Middlebrooks was given his last chance. The opening day roster included Pierzynski, Nava, Grady Sizemore, Mike Carp and Jake Peavy. There's no way that would work long term.

Legend
    Since 2002, 13 of the 16 seasons were "good" - my definition of good is, entering September with a realistic path to a playoff spot.

All-Star
    That 2006 team dealt with a ton of injuries, too, IIRC...Manny and Papi both missed time down the stretch, and good god, look at some of the names who started for us that year...

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flap View Post
    That 2006 team dealt with a ton of injuries, too, IIRC...Manny and Papi both missed time down the stretch, and good god, look at some of the names who started for us that year...
    That 2006 team was built to win. It just didn't work out.

2006 was also the Mily Mo Pena year. That was kinda fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkxhzjMbLg0