Register now to remove this ad

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Coaching Staff

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    Good observation. The question is whether the analytics are sent down for use by the manager in making decisions or the decisions are sent down to the manager for implementation. I would hope it is the first and that the hiring of younger analytics based managers means that they can benefit from the myriad of information that can be made available. Farrell was well liked by many of the players but may have overstayed his time and I support trying something new.
    I don't think any GM wants to dictate to his manager how he needs to manage. However, managers have typically been very old school. Front offices and GMs are becoming more and more new school. IMO, this is creating an increasingly larger disconnect between the manager and the front office. I think GMs are looking for managers who will embrace the analytics that are sent down to them and are willing to go against the traditional grain. In other words, GMs are looking for managers who are on the same page as their front offices.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    I don't think any GM wants to dictate to his manager how he needs to manage. However, managers have typically been very old school. Front offices and GMs are becoming more and more new school. IMO, this is creating an increasingly larger disconnect between the manager and the front office. I think GMs are looking for managers who will embrace the analytics that are sent down to them and are willing to go against the traditional grain. In other words, GMs are looking for managers who are on the same page as their front offices.
    You are giving some front office individuals perhaps more credit than they deserve. Yes, to be successful they have to follow a logical process. On the otheer hand, these guys have egos and opinions and my well want to have a say into what might be thought of as the managers perogative. Papi pointed out that it happened to Farrell and it might also happen to Cora.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    You are giving some front office individuals perhaps more credit than they deserve. Yes, to be successful they have to follow a logical process. On the otheer hand, these guys have egos and opinions and my well want to have a say into what might be thought of as the managers perogative. Papi pointed out that it happened to Farrell and it might also happen to Cora.
    I don't necessarily disagree, which is why I think GMs want managers who are going to be open to the FO's suggestions. Yes, there are certainly going to be times when a GM dictates some things to the manager. For instance, a GM might want a certain player to get more playing time, for one reason or another, than a manager wants to give him. But I don't think that GMs really want to interfere with the day to day decisions like line up construction and bullpen usage.

Along the same line of what you are saying, and I know you disagree, but I think that's a big reason why LaRussa was hired. Dombrowski gets credit for trying to embrace analytics with the hiring of Cora and the special liaison guy, but he has his old school guy in place as an advisor, 'just in case'.

How does the new coaching staff compare to the prior staff?

Seems to be like we took a step forward with the hitting coach. Neutral on the pitching coach and a step backwards for all other coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post

Seems to be like we took a step forward with the hitting coach. Neutral on the pitching coach and a step backwards for all other coaches.
    No Farrell is addition by subtraction.

I'm hopeful Cora is the right guy.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post

"Seems to be like" - probably a good way to say it because none of us has any idea as to how all of the coaching changes will amount to anything at all.

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    "Seems to be like" - probably a good way to say it because none of us has any idea as to how all of the coaching changes will amount to anything at all.
    Yup. Opinion based on hearsay and even less. I know nothing about the new coaches. I have no idea what they will do to better the quality of ball being played.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Deity
    Being a Maine guy, I admit my bias. I like Butterfield. I also liked Amaro. They both were tireless workers who knew how to teach the game. I hope that Feebles is a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    Being a Maine guy, I admit my bias. I like Butterfield. I also liked Amaro. They both were tireless workers who knew how to teach the game. I hope that Feebles is a good one.
    The rumor in this part of the state is that Butterfield was offered a contract but turned it down, wanting Cora to have a chance to have all of his own new people there.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    The rumor in this part of the state is that Butterfield was offered a contract but turned it down, wanting Cora to have a chance to have all of his own new people there.
    That would not surprise me at all. Class!