Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 76

Thread: Stanton: I KNEW there was a reason I didn't like Jeter!

  1. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Waiting to deal him would have entailed some significant risk. He could have gotten hurt or off to a bad start.

    And in the history of baseball how many teams have made a deadline trade for a $275 million contract?

    Remember they put him on waivers this year and no one claimed him.

    This way at least they were guaranteed to dump most of the contract.
    Yes, he could have gotten hurt. But they were limited to one team to trade him to. Better off keeping him. Considering he only named LCS teams, he would have likely expanded his preferences if other teams were in the picture in July.

    Are you really going to play games with the contract figure? When A-Rod got dealt, a contract like that looked crazy and ominous. Now, it's market value. Two players should easily top that figure next season, and by a lot. Stanton makes close to $30mill per. What do you think Betts is going to get in 3 years?

  2. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    His stock fell when he named just 4 teams, and 3 had little interest.

    Had Jeter told Stanton, "Look, we already cut $30M, I'm keeping you here, GS would have folded and expanded the list. He'd probably be in SF right now or within a month. .
    Or he could have continued to collect his massive salary and either stayed on for the duration or opted out. The Marlins investors need to make some money in 2018. I donít blame them. The best way is a total tear down.

  3. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Or he could have continued to collect his massive salary and either stayed on for the duration or opted out. The Marlins investors need to make some money in 2018. I don’t blame them. The best way is a total tear down.
    So the best way was to trade away the contract that was a show of good faith to the fans? The fans who buy tickets and watch local broadcasts?

    It was like saying "Hey Marlins fans? Remember when we gutted this team before but we wanted to show you we were serious about baseball so we gave Stanton that megacontract? Well... fuck you."

    That franchise will be out of Florida within 3 years. Any fans they have left visiting fans....

  4. #19
    They canít leave in 3 years as they just got a new ballpark and that usually means a LONG lease. Thing is, they tore down twice before even when they were winning. The fans donít come whether they win or lose. They will make revenue sharing money while losing and build up again.

  5. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Are you really going to play games with the contract figure? When A-Rod got dealt, a contract like that looked crazy and ominous. Now, it's market value.
    Funny, I thought you were the same guy who has repeatedly condemned Dombrowski for the Miggy and Verlander contracts. Now you're suggesting it's A-OK for most teams to take on Stanton's contract?

  6. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Two players should easily top that figure next season, and by a lot. Stanton makes close to $30mill per. What do you think Betts is going to get in 3 years?
    I'll believe that Harper and Machado are going to easily top Stanton's contract when I see it. I don't get why everyone thinks the inflation rate for baseball salaries is going to continue to escalate. This last CBA seemed to indicate otherwise.

  7. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Funny, I thought you were the same guy who has repeatedly condemned Dombrowski for the Miggy and Verlander contracts. Now you're suggesting it's A-OK for most teams to take on Stanton's contract?
    Neither of those contracts were for 28yo reigning MVPs who were signed to show fans the team was serious about baseball as a show of good faith. Do you think Cabrerea's contract represents current market value for a 35yo 1b?

  8. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Neither of those contracts were for 28yo reigning MVPs who were signed to show fans the team was serious about baseball as a show of good faith. Do you think Cabrerea's contract represents current market value for a 35yo 1b?
    No, but I think there's a pretty good chance Stanton's contract won't look so good in 5 years either.

    My point is just that there aren't very many teams who can take on that kind of money and risk.

    I don't think if the Twins, for example, were in the race in July this year you could add them to the list of possible suitors for Stanton at the deadline.

  9. #24
    Interesting info...all of it, but it won't change my mind. FWI i personally breathed a sigh when he turned down St. Louis. Will these teams ever learn?

  10. #25
    Cabreraís deal goes to 42 IIRC. Thatís a stupid deal regardless. Stantonís deal goes to 38. While not ideal, thereís a good chance Stanton is still showing elite power by then. He just might not have any other useful characteristics by then

  11. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Cabrera’s deal goes to 42 IIRC. That’s a stupid deal regardless. Stanton’s deal goes to 38. While not ideal, there’s a good chance Stanton is still showing elite power by then. He just might not have any other useful characteristics by then
    And there is always a chsnce Stanton opts out. He'll be younger when he opts out than Cabrera was when he signed that deal....

  12. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    And there is always a chsnce Stanton opts out. He'll be younger when he opts out than Cabrera was when he signed that deal....
    Correct, but the opt-out only adds more risk for the team holding the contract. The opt-out means you're only guaranteed to have his services for 3 years, but if he goes downhill you're stuck with his 25 million AAV on the books for 10 years.

  13. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Or he could have continued to collect his massive salary and either stayed on for the duration or opted out. The Marlins investors need to make some money in 2018. I donít blame them. The best way is a total tear down.
    I agree, but the premise was they needed to just cut $30M: Jeter chose to cut more.

    They could have set their sites on 3 years from now while they still has Stanton as the foundation. However, that was not my reasoning for my suggestion. My reasoning was that Stanton hates losing, and would have widened the team list for trades to the point where Jeter could have maximized the return. I firmly believe this, but it is just conjecture on my part.

    Jeter misplayed his hand, and coincidentally (I doubt it) it helped his ex-team immensely.

  14. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I agree, but the premise was they needed to just cut $30M: Jeter chose to cut more.

    They could have set their sites on 3 years from now while they still has Stanton as the foundation. However, that was not my reasoning for my suggestion. My reasoning was that Stanton hates losing, and would have widened the team list for trades to the point where Jeter could have maximized the return. I firmly believe this, but it is just conjecture on my part.

    Jeter misplayed his hand, and coincidentally (I doubt it) it helped his ex-team immensely.
    Jeter is a 4% owner - what makes you think he's the one calling the shots?

  15. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Jeter is a 4% owner - what makes you think he's the one calling the shots?
    Do you think Miami needed to sell DJ that 4%? They hired him on the perception of his perceived "cashet"... It is hard to tell to what degree he's involved in trades and such. Would he have leaked that he had no part in this deal if he didn't? What's best for the look of the organization; buck passers that they all are?

    I must admit that his lack of participation/attendance in team functions reminds me of Phil Jackson (minus the tweets)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •