Register now to remove this ad

Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 225 of 424

Thread: The Depth Argument

  1. #211
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    This is another reason why you need a basher. It will help you win and it will help your team sell tickets.
    It's hard to say this for sure, because I can't put any reliance on the ticket sale numbers prior to 2013. For the most part, Fenway is pretty full. Their home attendance last year was 36,021 per game. The capacity is 37,731. At 81 games, there would be at most an additional 138,510 tickets you could add (and attendance is probably not total tickets sold). At $200 per ticket (most likely would be far less), that's still only an increase of $27M. There isn't enough meat on the bone for a FA signing to make a financial difference.
    "Let's go!" - Joseph Kelly Jr

  2. #212
    Quote Originally Posted by Station 13 View Post
    I personally can't do 3-4 hour games anymore. it's just too much everyday. I welcome a pitch clock for pitchers like Tanaka, Price, doesn't spend a minute shaking off signs and frequent mount visits.
    Baseball is the perfect sport to leave on in the background while you are on your phone telling other people how much smarter you are than them on some random message board.

    For the most part, I don't typically watch the full game. After putting the kids to bed, NESN isn't turned on until 8-8:30. I'm usually off to bed by 11 at the latest on a work night, so it's usually only about 2 hours of watching for me.
    "Let's go!" - Joseph Kelly Jr

  3. #213
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    It's hard to say this for sure, because I can't put any reliance on the ticket sale numbers prior to 2013. For the most part, Fenway is pretty full. Their home attendance last year was 36,021 per game. The capacity is 37,731. At 81 games, there would be at most an additional 138,510 tickets you could add (and attendance is probably not total tickets sold). At $200 per ticket (most likely would be far less), that's still only an increase of $27M. There isn't enough meat on the bone for a FA signing to make a financial difference.
    There are TV ratings to consider. It is my understanding that those have not been good in the last few years. That translates into big bucks.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    [T]he conclusion to be drawn is that there is no practical value in seeking this ideal lineup, and in that case any way in which it might be meaningfully termed "best" is irrelevant, academic at best, pedantic at worst
    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Unlike hot streaks and clutch, the “Cliff” is a myth. It can’t be defined, and it’s future existence cannot be proved.

  4. #214
    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    There are TV ratings to consider. It is my understanding that those have not been good in the last few years. That translates into big bucks.
    Those aren't coming back though. Even the ratings for Papi's retirement tour were down. If your beloved power hitting DH is having a renaissance season and can't increase NESN's ratings in a season where the Sox won the division, nothing else can.

    I think more people are cutting the cord, using streaming services and just finding alternate ways to entertain themselves 162 days a year.
    "Let's go!" - Joseph Kelly Jr

  5. #215
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Try watching the games on tape. Fast forward all the commercials.
    Who watches sports on delayed? lol

    I stream most of my games.

  6. #216
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Those aren't coming back though. Even the ratings for Papi's retirement tour were down. If your beloved power hitting DH is having a renaissance season and can't increase NESN's ratings in a season where the Sox won the division, nothing else can.

    I think more people are cutting the cord, using streaming services and just finding alternate ways to entertain themselves 162 days a year.
    My son followed the Sox religiously until he was out of college & got married. Now that he's got work & family responsibilities he waits until the next day and sometimes watches the game on Hulu.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

  7. #217
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Baseball is the perfect sport to leave on in the background while you are on your phone telling other people how much smarter you are than them on some random message board.
    Baseball is the perfect game for friends to watch together. There's enough action to keep the interest and enough dead time to discuss anything and everything else. And drink beer.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

  8. #218
    http://www.weei.com/blogs/alex-reime...ear-top-league

    Even though the Sox were down another 15% this year, it actually was in the top 5 for programming. This means less overall eyeballs even though it's a relatively popular show.

    They’re not nearly as big as they were 10 years ago, but that’s probably more of a commentary on baseball than the team itself. In comparison to other clubs, the Red Sox remain at the top in terms of fan interest. They drew more than 2.9 million people to Fenway Park this year, too, ranking fourth in the American League in attendance.

    The problem isn't directly due to the Red Sox, but the overall popularity of the game (which has been discussed a ton on here).
    "Let's go!" - Joseph Kelly Jr

  9. #219
    Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    Baseball is the perfect game for friends to watch together. There's enough action to keep the interest and enough dead time to discuss anything and everything else. And drink beer.
    Approximately 80% of the viewership is for people above the age of 35, not necessarily the types that are hanging with their friends 162 times a year.
    "Let's go!" - Joseph Kelly Jr

  10. #220
    Quote Originally Posted by Station 13 View Post
    Who watches sports on delayed? lol

    I stream most of my games.
    Kimmi.
    "Let's go!" - Joseph Kelly Jr

  11. #221
    I almost always watch delayed if I'm back in the UK. Get up early, throw on last nights ball game as I get ready to think about work. Perfect.

  12. #222
    Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    Baseball is the perfect game for friends to watch together. There's enough action to keep the interest and enough dead time to discuss anything and everything else. And drink beer.
    Not many Sox fans down here in Sugar Land, TX.

    I usually time it, so I watch most of the game by fast-forwarding commercials and end up watching the last inning or two live.

  13. #223
    I couldn't ever dvr a Sox game. I would just fast forward until runners get on base and would probably miss half the game. My FFWD button would get worn out.
    "Let's go!" - Joseph Kelly Jr

  14. #224
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I couldn't ever dvr a Sox game. I would just fast forward until runners get on base and would probably miss half the game. My FFWD button would get worn out.
    I mostly fast forward between pitches. I've got it down to a science.

    It's all the commercials that kill me.

  15. #225
    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    There are TV ratings to consider. It is my understanding that those have not been good in the last few years. That translates into big bucks.
    TV ratings, advertising money etc. Ticket sales are probably less than half of their yearly income

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •