Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Depth Argument

I’m just kidding around. Relax slasher. For a fan of a team that won the East last year, you’re really projecting a concerned persona.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    The Yankees don't scare me.
    Regression on some level is certainly possible. We don't need to look too far to see that it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    I’m just kidding around. .
    #metoo
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    right. he is not a troll. all you OG talksox members keep telling yourselves that.......
    He's a homer and sometimes he trolls.

Sounds like most everyone here except he's a Yankee fan.

You don't have to like him.

He is part of this board and will remain so.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post

Sounds like most everyone here except he's a Yankee fan.

You don't have to like him.

He is part of this board and will remain so.
    That's all that has to be said...one would think, anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    That's all that has to be said...one would think, anyway...
    Pretty much. I just don't want to see the anti-Jacko sentiment blossom into constant attacks on the guy. He doe not deserve the attacks and it is unseemly and unnecessary.

I give him shit too sometimes. But I almost always do it in fun and he knows it.

Whatever. People just need to chill and not take all this baseball stuff so seriously.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Pretty much. I just don't want to see the anti-Jacko sentiment blossom into constant attacks on the guy. He doe not deserve the attacks and it is unseemly and unnecessary.

I give him shit too sometimes. But I almost always do it in fun and he knows it.

Whatever. People just need to chill and not take all this baseball stuff so seriously.
    You think this is all efffffin' jokes around here?
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    You think this is all efffffin' jokes around here?
    You mean fucking?

No I do not. But some people seem to live and die with the Sox and take all that is discussed here too seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by spudboy View Post
    you mean fucking?

No i do not. But some people seem to live and die with the sox and take all that is discussed here too seriously.
    ^^^this^^^ omg ^^^this^^^!!
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

You mean fucking?

No I do not. But some people seem to live and die with the Sox and take all that is discussed here too seriously.
    Ball is life.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

so you agree with me. cool.
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    It's not about being scared. It's about wins and losses and run differential.
    Sure, the Yankees look tough. But I think you're selling our Red Sox a little short. Don't count us out before the season has even started.

Quote Originally Posted by Emp9 View Post
    Regression on some level is certainly possible. We don't need to look too far to see that it happens.
    That's what I'm counting on.

Let's see how all the Yankee kids handle being the favorites.

The Sox saw reductions from just about everyone last year. Maybe the same happens to NYY next season.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    On to the lineup

At C- you have depth here, the quality is a bit suspect. Vazquez had a good year offensively, but that came with a BABIP of .348. Can he repeat that? Who knows. Leon is a replacement level guy who at least holds his own defensively

At 1B- Right now, it is Sam Travis. And I know you guys seem to have a soft spot in your hearts for this kid, but he isn't very good. He turns 25 in 2018 and in 4 seasons in the minors and majors, he has a total of 28HR. Now 7HR a season isn't bad if you are a 2b or a speed demon, but he is neither. His lack of power out of the 1b spot makes him a nice story, but not a useful big league player. Hanley could slot here as well, but he is coming off bilateral shoulder surgeries. Who knows how he returns. Devers could also slide over if the sox acquire a top notch 3b. I anticipate the starting 1b for the Red Sox for 2018 is not currently on the roster

At 2B- Pedroia would be the starter, but he had microfracture surgery, a last ditch effort to halt or reverse an arthritic condition developing in his knee. I'd say he is staring at an all-star break return and if he comes back earlier, good for him. He was also trending downward as the season wore on, so you don't know if you will get replacement level Pedroia or All Star level. Either way, 2b depth will be incredibly key out of the gate. Behind Pedroia eventually could be Michael Chavis, but the idea of him starting 2018 off position in Boston is more a fantasy than anything else. He is really a CIF and you'll lose a lot defensively with him at 2b. Also, he didn't exactly light the world on fire in AA and is probably ticketed there again in 2018 until he earns the promotion to AAA. He could be an option later in the season, but not here. Brock Holt is an option as well, but I think he has settled down into what he is, a replacement level guy who plays hard, gets hurt, and can play a lot of position. That is useful, but if he is suiting up at 2b on a regular basis, that will not be good news for you guys. Lin and Martinez are in the equation as well, but none appear to be plus replacement level players

At SS- Do you know that Xander Bogaerts led the team in hitting at .273? Xander is an enigma. He has the power to hit 25HR, but he can't consistently show it. He has the ability to hit .300, but he cannot do it regularly. One wonders if he will ever put it together and have a .300 25HR 100RBI type season everyone was pegging him for when he came up. The talent is there. Until then, sox fans need to give him a break. He has 12.5 WAR over the past 3 seasons. While he might not be reaching the sky high expectations placed on him, he has been damn good and damn durable. 144+ games for 4 seasons in a row. You could certainly do worse

At 3B- Devers is the new kid on the block. His defense is suspect, but that bat is beautiful. Long term, he is a 1b, but if they can just make him average defensively for now, he will be a monster. Unless you find yourself signing Frazier or Moustakas, you pencil in Devers name and sit back and watch this kid hit

In LF- Andrew Benintendi wins the ROY most seasons with the year he had. 20/20 season, average OF defense, and by the end of the year, he was the offensive leader of that team. I don't move him to CF since I don't think he is a CFer long term, but he is a really good player who I think will be a .300 hitter with 25HR power and 25 steal potential. Pencil him in and let him fly

In CF- JBJ, the oft maligned and never truly appreciated CFer is a defensive wizard. He is typically healthy, albeit often platooned. His defense never wavers, his offense is incredibly streaky. For now, you play him in the OF and just live with it.

In RF- Mookie Betts proved he wasn't ready to be the man in the lineup, but he is still a great player. His defense grades out better than Bradley's eerily enough. He also has put up 18.1 WAR in his 3 seasons in the bigs. That is awesome. He has also played 145 games or more in all 3 seasons. Anyone considering moving him is an idiot.

At DH- Right now it is Hanley. He is coming off shoulder surgery on both shoulder and he is on the wrong side of 30. You don't know how he will respond. He has a good chance of being either the 1b or the DH and in the end, might end up in a platoon role. Either way, right now there is no way he isn't in the lineup

Reserves: In the OF, you have Bryce Brentz. He has power, but is very hit or miss and hasn't proven anything in the bigs. Maybe he is ready? Maybe he takes on a bigger role as DH? Maybe he becomes the platoon partner JBJ needs? In the IF, Holt, Lin and to a lesser extent, Martinez are there. Neither are very strong options. You have 3 catchers if you count Swihart, but none really own the job. Either way, the starting lineup lacks big power and the backups don't help. After DD figures out the starters, he really needs to also sign some non roster invitees who could catch lightning in a bottle and claim a 25 man slot

This post is disgusting, and screw you.

I hate it, and I hate you......because its true. What a disaster.