Register now to remove this ad

Page 48 of 68 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Prospect Mega Thread

An informative article that focuses on Northcut, but also mentions Casas and Decker. Dombrowski is really good at finding talent and rebuilding the farm system. When John Henry hired Dombrowski, he talked about his ability to find young talent and I think we are beginning to see that.

The Boston Red Sox were aggressive in seeking out high ceiling prospects in the 2018 MLB Draft. Their first round pick, Triston Casas has 70 grade power and the potential to be a monster in the middle of the lineup. Second round pick Nick Decker also has big raw power but some questions about his hit tool. If he pans out, he too could be the anchor in the heart of a major league lineup. But the most interesting pick they made was on day three, when they used their 11th round pick on prep third baseman Nicholas Northcut.

Northcut was the 81st ranked prospect in the 2018 draft class according to MLB’s rankings. He was 69th according to Baseball America. That puts him in the range of a third to fourth round pick by talent. So why did he last until the 11th round? He had a firm commitment to Vanderbilt. The thought was that he would be expensive to pry away. Turns out that at $565,000.00, his cost was right in line with where he should have been picked. It’s possible he was willing to sign with the Red Sox for less than he would have elsewhere.

Nicholas Northcut had one of the more intriguing mixes of hitting ability and power in the 2018 draft.

Baseball America cites some scouts listing his raw power as future 70 grade. That’s Aaron Judge level. If he has the hit tool for that to play in games, we’re talking about a regular All-Star caliber player. Baseball America’s write up describes him as having a good feel for hitting. MLB.com believes he could hit for average. Perfect Game described him as an advanced hitter. He also goes to all fields, even when hitting for power, which is impressive for a prep hitter.

https://bosoxinjection.com/2018/06/1...orthcut-signs/

Dalbec with his 5th tater for Portland today. That makes 31 on the year!

Legend
    Swihart 0-3 in Lowell on Rehab today. He was catching.

Downs with his 13th tater on the season today for Salem!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    Dalbec with his 5th tater for Portland today. That makes 31 on the year!
    Damn!

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Dalbec will be dealt this off-season, bet on it. He's a boom or bust offensive player who likely ends up being a poor man's defensive 3b or a 1b. His stock will never be higher. My bet is he ends up going somewhere for relief pitching
    I thought he would be dealt at the trade deadline prior to his Double A promotion. I'm not so sure Dombrowski will move him in the off-season now that Dalbec is having so much success in Double A. If Dalbec continues to tear up Double A, his value greatly increases.

The other thing worth noting is that Dombrowski has been more open to trading Cherrington's prospects and not his own. For the most part, Dombrowski has held on to the prospects that came into the organization under his watch. The one notable exception to this was the trade of Shaun Anderson.

Quote Originally Posted by Fan_since_Boggs View Post
    I thought he would be dealt at the trade deadline prior to his Double A promotion. I'm not so sure Dombrowski will move him in the off-season now that Dalbec is having so much success in Double A. If Dalbec continues to tear up Double A, his value greatly increases.

The other thing worth noting is that Dombrowski has been more open to trading Cherrington's prospects and not his own. For the most part, Dombrowski has held on to the prospects that came into the organization under his watch. The one notable exception to this was the trade of Shaun Anderson.
    That may just be because Ben's held more value than his at the times of most trades.

With Devers maybe becoming a 1Bman and Moreland's contract up after next season, we may hold onto Dalbec. Plus, Travis disappeared this year.

Dalbec power is very interesting. No, don't trade him for a broken reliever. We have Feltman in the system already.

Legend
    Dalbec is not a good Fielder. 17 errors in 96 games. .928 Fielding % in his career. Dalbec probably go to 1st over Devers. First time in Lowell he had 7 errors in 22 games.
    Devers was a better fielding 3rd baseman over Dalbec, in the Minors.
    Last edited by OH FOY!; 08-14-2018 at 12:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OH FOY! View Post
    Dalbec is not a good Fielder. 17 errors in 96 games. .928 Fielding % in his career. Dalbec probably go to 1st over Devers. First time in Lowell he had 7 errors in 22 games.
    Devers was a better fielding 3rd baseman over Dalbec, in the Minors.
    Makes sense.

Maybe Chavis & Dalbec can fight it out over 1B in 2020. Hopefull by then, Devers will be adequate or plus at 3B on defense.

Shawaryn went seven strong innings today.

Same with houck. Very impressive outings today.

Yes, Houck with no walks in 7 IP (only 4 hits) or ERs.

Shawaryn did even better: 1 BB, 2 H and 0 ERs in 7 IP.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Makes sense.

Maybe Chavis & Dalbec can fight it out over 1B in 2020. Hopefull by then, Devers will be adequate or plus at 3B on defense.
    Dalbec is probably more likely to succeed than Chavis. One of them should start shagging flies in LF.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Dalbec is probably more likely to succeed than Chavis. One of them should start shagging flies in LF.
    Well, with JD wanting OF time, and Holt & Swihart able to play LF, I'm not sure there will be much time allowed.

Chavis might be able to DH while JD plays the OF.

Well, with JD wanting OF time, and Holt & Swihart able to play LF, I'm not sure there will be much time allowed.

Chavis might be able to DH while JD plays the OF.
    Holt is not a great OF option. I don't think Swihart is here by the time Dalbec is ready. JD will probably opt out too. Also, just nice to have versatility.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")