Register now to remove this ad

Page 67 of 68 FirstFirst ... 175765666768 LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 1007

Thread: 2018 Prospect Mega Thread

https://www.overthemonster.com/2019/...akins-shawaryn

Prospects that could help this year. This one doesn't mention Darwinzon Hernandez though.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    https://www.overthemonster.com/2019/...akins-shawaryn

Prospects that could help this year. This one doesn't mention Darwinzon Hernandez though.

Itís possible they were only focusing on players slated to be in AAA. That could be a mere coincidence but it certainly applies here. But I would think Hernandez should be more likely than Sharwyn, simply because he is actually on the 40-man roster.

While probably not considered, it is also possible Hernandez is traded this off-season. He certainly gained some notoriety in the AFL that puts him on the radar of other GMs over most of the Sox farm. If DD is going to plug holes and maintain the budget estimates, heís going to need tradable pieces. Chavis and Dalbec are certainly tradable. And Hernandez might be another trade candidate for a package to get a reliever or, if DD so inclines, an upgrade at catcher...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Itís possible they were only focusing on players slated to be in AAA. That could be a mere coincidence but it certainly applies here. But I would think Hernandez should be more likely than Sharwyn, simply because he is actually on the 40-man roster.

While probably not considered, it is also possible Hernandez is traded this off-season. He certainly gained some notoriety in the AFL that puts him on the radar of other GMs over most of the Sox farm. If DD is going to plug holes and maintain the budget estimates, heís going to need tradable pieces. Chavis and Dalbec are certainly tradable. And Hernandez might be another trade candidate for a package to get a reliever or, if DD so inclines, an upgrade at catcher...
    I think Feltman will start in AA.

I don't see a reason to upgrade at catcher. I think moving on from Hernandez could be a mistake. Feltman and Hernandez could be the backbone of the bullpen for the next decade or so.

Deity
    I think Feltman will start in AA.

I don't see a reason to upgrade at catcher. I think moving on from Hernandez could be a mistake. Feltman and Hernandez could be the backbone of the bullpen for the next decade or so.
    True. Feltman should be in AA. He’s also not on the 40 man roster like the other three.

Bullpen is the obvious highest priority. Catcher is just another possibility, although it’s nowhere near as likely. It’s the one position where neither upgrading nor standing pat would surprise me. MLBTR did an article on how each team has handled their weakest position from last year. Boston’s weakest was catcher. It certainly doesn’t mean any change is imminent, but I think that catcher isn’t necessarily going to remain status quo, either.

Hernandez might be a solid bullpen core piece, but if the Sox are going to make any trades, you have to think he is one of the more desirable pieces to acquire for other teams. Feltman might be as well. And the Sox will have to give up something if they want to make a trade...
    Last edited by notin; 01-02-2019 at 12:29 PM.

True. Feltman should be in AA. He’s also not on the 40 man roster like the other three.

Bullpen is the obvious highest priority. Catcher is just another possibility, although it’s nowhere near as likely. It’s the one position where neither upgrading nor standing pat would surprise me. MLBTR did an article on how each team has handled their weakest position from last year. Boston’s weakest was catcher. It certainly doesn’t mean any change is imminent, but I think that catcher isn’t necessarily going to remain status quo, either.

Hernandez might be a solid bullpen core piece, but if the Sox are going to make any trades, you have to think he is one of the more desirable pieces to acquire for other teams. Feltman might be as well. And the Sox will have to give up something if they want to make a trade...
    To me, no one is untouchable, so it just depends on what the core piece is that they are trading for.

Deity
    To me, no one is untouchable, so it just depends on what the core piece is that they are trading for.

True in almost all cases.

While the Sox don’t have an abundance of prospects to deal from, they can certainly get at
    least one impact reliever...

I think many don't value pitch calling and tight relationships between catchers and pitchers enough. If they did, they would not have thought our catcher position is our weakest area this winter. I'd rank our highest need areas like this:

1. Closer
    2. Set-up man
    3. 2B
    4. 6th starter
    5. Catcher offense and 3B defense

I think many don't value pitch calling and tight relationships between catchers and pitchers enough. If they did, they would not have thought our catcher position is our weakest area this winter. I'd rank our highest need areas like this:

1. Closer
    2. Set-up man
    3. 2B
    4. 6th starter
    Pedey will be an All Star this year.

I think our set up men are fine as is though it never hurts to get more arms.

I'm not at all excited about Barnes being the closer, but I'd rather that than dumping MiLB arms for some retread.

All-Star
    I wouldn't really put 6th starter as a big need at this point...I'm sure another minor league signing for two (this year's Kyle Kendrick or Doug Fister) wouldn't hurt, but with Wright, Velazquez, Johnson, and then Shawaryn or whoever would be up next in Pawtucket, I would guess we're about as well covered in that area as most teams could claim to be.

The Red Sox seem unconcerned about the catching situation, and I'm not sure we have the resources to really make a significant upgrade there right now anyway. Pick any two of the current three catchers to keep, trade the other, sign some emergency depth to stash in Pawtucket, and I'll be fairly content.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flap View Post
    I wouldn't really put 6th starter as a big need at this point...I'm sure another minor league signing for two (this year's Kyle Kendrick or Doug Fister) wouldn't hurt, but with Wright, Velazquez, Johnson, and then Shawaryn or whoever would be up next in Pawtucket, I would guess we're about as well covered in that area as most teams could claim to be.

The Red Sox seem unconcerned about the catching situation, and I'm not sure we have the resources to really make a significant upgrade there right now anyway. Pick any two of the current three catchers to keep, trade the other, sign some emergency depth to stash in Pawtucket, and I'll be fairly content.
    I don't think the 6th starter is a big need, but it is more of a need than catcher, IMO.

Deity

1. Closer
    2. Set-up man
    3. 2B
    4. 6th starter
    Itís not that we donít value it. Itís that that relationship is largely unknown to fans watching.

And really, a good defensive catcher could and should be able to establish himself with the pitchers. It might not be as personal as I am inferring, but catchers routinely work with12 plus pitchers on the staff as part of the job. So they are probably used to dealing with new pitchers.

Now I have heard Cora would like a defensive 3b. I do doubt that happens. The Sox presently have 5 players battling for 4 bench spots, which is already too difficult to resolve (although there is no rush to right now).

I would agree the Sox will add two relievers with names and quality depending on the budget. Beyond that? Maybe a catcher, but we are getting into some less likely territory here.

But I could definitely see upgrading starting catcher as a higher priority than backup 3b, especially if DD starts looking at catcher as an area of need.

I think the 6th starter is already here in Brian Johnson. Same for the seventh if Wright is healthy. But hey, I have no problem with minor league pitching contracts. But does this mean you want Buchholz back?
    Last edited by notin; 01-02-2019 at 03:33 PM.

Itís not that we donít value it. Itís that that relationship is largely unknown to fans watching.

And really, a good defensive catcher could and should be able to establish himself with the pitchers. It might not be as personal as I am inferring, but catchers routinely work with12 plus pitchers on the staff as part of the job. So they are probably used to dealing with new pitchers.

Now I have heard Cora would like a defensive 3b. I do doubt that happens. The Sox presently have 5 players battling for 4 bench spots, which is already too difficult to resolve (although there is no rush to right now).

I would agree the Sox will add two relievers with names and quality depending on the budget. Beyond that? Maybe a catcher, but we are getting into some less likely territory here.

But I could definitely see upgrading starting catcher as a higher priority than backup 3b, especially if DD starts looking at catcher as an area of need.

I think the 6th starter is already here in Brian Johnson. Same for the seventh if Wright is healthy. But hey, I have no problem with minor league pitching contracts. But does this mean you want Buchholz back?
    Yes, we have Johnson, but I'd prefer to upgrade there than at catcher. Plus, upgrading the catcher position would be much more costly than getting a better SP'er than Johnson.

BTW, I'm not advocating upgrading anywhere, right now, than the pen.

I wasn't really hinting at a personal relationship between catcher and pitcher, but more about the feeling of comfort a pitcher has with some catcher over others.

I'm sure there are other catchers out there that could quickly build that comfort level up to par with Leon & Vaz, but to find one that can also hit would be very costly, and to me, that upgrade is not as high a priority as upgrading the pen.

I slotted 2B ahead of catcher, but I'm not for upgrading there either, at least until we know more about the health of Pedey & Nunez.

Deity
    I really don’t mind the present catching logjam, but rumors of interest in Cervelli did and still do make me think it’s on DD’s radar.

The free agent upgrade of Yasmani Grandal is still possible. But if DD isn’t spending on a closer, he isn’t likely to spend on a catcher.

Unless...

The Moustakas comparison for Grandal (by Passan) is more apt than many think and Grandal eventually settles for a one year deal. If that is the case, he doesn’t impact any ability to reset. So far, none of the bigger name closers have indicated they will accept a one yer deal. This might be one of the factors DD is waiting on...
    Last edited by notin; 01-03-2019 at 10:58 AM.

I absolutely think the sox are waiting on Grandal. If they can get him on a one year "prove-it" deal, they would definitely jump. He is a moron, btw. His numbers don't scream "All-Star" and he finished the year with a thud. The Mutts offer him $60 mil over 4 years and he turns it down? What a dummy
    Hal sucks

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    I absolutely think the sox are waiting on Grandal. If they can get him on a one year "prove-it" deal, they would definitely jump. He is a moron, btw. His numbers don't scream "All-Star" and he finished the year with a thud. The Mutts offer him $60 mil over 4 years and he turns it down? What a dummy
    I think they’re also hoping Robertson will come down to one year and possibly Ottavino and maybe Cody Allen as well.

Ottavino has been an active commodity, so he is less likely. But so far the buzz around Allen has been non-existent and the buzz around Robertson only tepid...