Register now to remove this ad

Page 59 of 68 FirstFirst ... 9495758596061 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Prospect Mega Thread

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Find me these so many people who look to Groome as a possible savior.
    Who? lol

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I find it strange that so many people poo-poo'd Espinoza as a long shot after we dealt him away and now look to Groome as a possible savior.

Our farm is weak. I don't think that is being pessimistic. I think it is being realistic.

I have hopes for several prospects, but the very best ones are so far away, it's hard to feel that confident.

You know what moon most of the time that I post I am trying to get some sort of reaction. It is my way of having fun I guess. With respect to our current farm system, everything you read from every possible expert agrees with what you and notin are saying. There is no arguement there. What I have to add is that a few years ago when I was in Portland watching a team that had both Benintendi and Moncada on it, I thought that for the most part they looked pathetic. I tend not to buy the hype one way or the other until I actually see these guys play. For all the talk about the Espinozas, Moncadas, and Kopeches, I am not judging any of those situations until I actually see them do something that screams greatness to me. Benintendi for all of the positive comments about what he was apt to do, did not look at all like the player he has become in a short time. I really do like the outlook for some of the guys that we have in our farm system. I'm bullish on the future of the franchise. A strong buy if you will!

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Find me these so many people who look to Groome as a possible savior.
    If it's not Groome, who else will prevent the imaginary cliff from happening?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    Really - you don't think that just saying that they will be good won't make them good? Everyday you post I learn something new!

Constantly beating a negative tone does no one any good. I have virtually no interest in what the experts think or project. My opinions quite often do not align with yours. I am ok with that. I absolutely believe that DD is in the process of creating a stronger farm and that he has gotten off to a good start. That is my opinion.
    Everyday in my personal life, I am reminded of what the fucking experts think and say and everyday I see many of them proven wrong. i am willing to watch things play out before I formulate an opinion of anything based upon any experts projection. It is kind of like a weather forecast to me. Im not going to cancel a day of school based on an experts projection. They are wrong too often.
    This isn’t about being negative.

There are numerous organizations who evaluate farm systems, probably using a variety of criteria. All of them say the Sox farm is weak, especially when compared to other teams. All of them. The only people saying it isn’t are Sox fans in denial. And just because your local weatherman can’t do a 10 day forecast doesn’t change this.

It’s a bad farm. That’s ok, because the parent club is very, very good. The only issue is the Sox might struggle to add a player or two in December or July. But they probably have enough to get that done. And really, sometimes that’s doesn’t even take that much when you look at what the Sox have up the last two July’s.

In a couple years, this will be a bigger deal when the Sox try to replace Sale, Betts, Bogaerts and Bradley and the internal solutions might be Bryan Mata, Nick Decker, CJ Chatham and Jarran Duran. Those are not equal sets of players...

Deity
    If it's not Groome, who else will prevent the imaginary cliff from happening?
    Groome may one day be a terrific pitcher, but right now I don’t like seeing him ranked so high in the Sox system. He’s been in the organization for three years, and in that time has thrown all of 62 innings, resulting in one more win (3) than his combined total of Tommy John surgeries and PED suspensions.

Either his high school pedigree is so immense it’s nearly impossible to tarnish, or the Sox farm is extremely weak that so few can surpass these extremely minimal accomplishments...
    Last edited by notin; 11-07-2018 at 08:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Groome may one day be a terrific pitcher, but right now I don’t like seeing him ranked so high in the Sox system. He’s been in the organization for three years, and in that time has thrown all of 62 innings, resulting in one more win (3) than his combined total of Tommy John surgeries and PED suspensions.

Either his high school pedigree is so immense it’s nearly impossible to tarnish, or the Sox farm is extremely weak that so few can surpass these extremely minimal accomplishments...
    I think he should be probably ranked 9th or 10th. I'd put Feltman ahead of Groome right now.

Just because Groome is ranked too high doesn't mean the system is completely void of talent.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I think he should be probably ranked 9th or 10th. I'd put Feltman ahead of Groome right now.

Just because Groome is ranked too high doesn't mean the system is completely void of talent.
    Groome is only like 20, so he isn’t a lost cause yet. But given how bad his first couple years have been, it is disheartening that so few prospects have surpassed him in the rankings.

Maybe when BA and Fangraphs and everyone else has their rankings, it will reflect differently on other prospects with respect to Groome.

But do you really see 4 who should have surpassed him?

Chavis
    Dalbec
    Casas
    D Hernandez
    Houk
    Mata
    Flores
    Feltman

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post

No system is totally devoid of talent. All systems have a few players who will carve out good big league careers. The sox lack a can't miss talent. The talent they do have is thin with minimal depth. Some of the top 10 guys may hit, but right now, if none of them do, the 11-50 aren't charging hard to replace them
    Hal sucks

Legend
    AFL Stats.
    http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats...=l_bat&lid=119

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats...=l_pit&lid=119

Ockimey 20 k's in 53 AB's, Dalbec 29 K's in 62 AB's. Geez. Scouts not impressed with Ockimey, and his play at 1st. They compare him to a Justin Bour type of player.
    Scouts are saying Dalbec has improved his Defense, so that's good news.
    Last edited by OH FOY!; 11-11-2018 at 11:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OH FOY! View Post
    AFL Stats.
    http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats...=l_bat&lid=119

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats...=l_pit&lid=119

Ockimey 20 k's in 53 AB's, Dalbec 29 K's in 62 AB's. Geez. Scouts not impressed with Ockimey, and his play at 1st. They compare him to a Justin Bour type of player.
    Scouts are saying Dalbec has improved his Defense, so that's good news.
    I'm not worried about Dalbec's glove. I want to see the swing and miss of his bat not get worse as he progresses into the upper minors.

I think Chavis missing out on AFL time due to injury is a big issue. This guy is always hurt. You can't develop when sitting on the bench. I think Dalbec isn't really a Cora guy (too many k's) so he could be trade fodder, but I'm not sure sticking with Chavis will net you anything on this major league roster. I'd rather Dalbec in a some sort of DH/3B platoon on my bench than Chavis who is a worse defender and can't stay healthy.

I was really hoping that between Chavis, Dalbec and Ockimey, we could find a capable 1Bman by the time Moreland's deal ran out. 2019 would be a good time for one to help as a platoon, but I don't see it happening.

Legend
    Mesa missed out on Play-offs by half game. Notice ties matter. No extra innings.

Final Stats.

http://mlb.mlb.com/milb/stats/stats....d=l119&cid=555
    Last edited by OH FOY!; 11-16-2018 at 10:17 AM.