Register now to remove this ad

Page 58 of 68 FirstFirst ... 8485657585960 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Prospect Mega Thread

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Let 'em try.

Probably only players who know they can never make the bigs without juicing would take the risk.

Some may try new, undetectable methods.
    Or players that have nothing to lose coming from a tougher background.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Or players that have nothing to lose coming from a tougher background.
    They might have more to lose.

I think the PED penalties are harsh enough. The question is how effective the detection is.

Baseball America Top Ten

https://www.overthemonster.com/2018/...oome-hernandez

Bobby Dalbec
    Michael Chavis
    Darwinzon Hernandez
    Jay Groome
    Triston Casas
    Bryan Mata
    Tanner Houck
    Mike Shawaryn
    Antoni Flores
    C.J. Chatham

Flores is the name to watch this year if you’re looking for a prospect with a chance to explode onto the national scene. Granted, I wouldn’t be expecting it in 2019, but the tools are there. The shortstop was part of the 2017 July 2 class and was a quick promotion to the GCL in his first pro season. Unfortunately, injuries cut his season short but the 18-year-old will be at full strength next year. Flores is a strong bat with a good chance to stick at shortstop and play the position well, and if his development goes well he could be at least a top three guy in this system by this point next year.

Deity
    I think that our much maligned farm system will very likely surprise a lot of people this year. It isn't that bad.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    I think that our much maligned farm system will very likely surprise a lot of people this year. It isn't that bad.
    I think it's pretty bland compared to other systems. And since Groome hasn't pitched, the Sox might break or tie last year's record for fewest top 100 prospects in team history. The fact that Groome has only 62 unimpressive IP in 3 years and still makes the top 5 on everyone's list of Sox prospects should speak volumes about this system...

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I think it's pretty bland compared to other systems. And since Groome hasn't pitched, the Sox might break or tie last year's record for fewest top 100 prospects in team history. The fact that Groome has only 62 unimpressive IP in 3 years and still makes the top 5 on everyone's list of Sox prospects should speak volumes about this system...
    We will just have to wait and see how they do. I'm going to go the positive route.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    We will just have to wait and see how they do. I'm going to go the positive route.
    Being positive won’t make any of them better players.

It’s not a good farm, and the reason is simple - assets were moved or promoted to help theMLB club. That’s ok. That’s the purpose of a farm system. But there’s no reason to be blind about. Every expert will tell you it’s among the worst, and those experts are wrong a lot, but unfortunately it’s usually the other way - where a player they think is good doesn’t turn out.

It’s not time to rebuild yet, but having another trade asset or two would help the current run....

I think DD has done a better job than I expected given the picks he got and the restricted international market he faced.

That being said, I'm not impressed by our farm system. I'm not expecting much help for at least 2 years.

Deity
    I think DD has done a better job than I expected given the picks he got and the restricted international market he faced.

That being said, I'm not impressed by our farm system. I'm not expecting much help for at least 2 years.
    I think he’s done better than I thought, too. But this farm is undeniably weak. The Sox have very, very little above A-ball. And the bulk of the players in A-ball won’t become anything just through normal minor league attrition. Right now, they have a handful of prospects that could be considered MLB-ready, and even that includes players like Sam Travis, whose ceiling is “bench bat on a bad team” and whose best skill is his ability to be paid minimum wage...

Deity
    Being positive won’t make any of them better players.

It’s not a good farm, and the reason is simple - assets were moved or promoted to help theMLB club. That’s ok. That’s the purpose of a farm system. But there’s no reason to be blind about. Every expert will tell you it’s among the worst, and those experts are wrong a lot, but unfortunately it’s usually the other way - where a player they think is good doesn’t turn out.

It’s not time to rebuild yet, but having another trade asset or two would help the current run....

Really - you don't think that just saying that they will be good won't make them good? Everyday you post I learn something new!

Constantly beating a negative tone does no one any good. I have virtually no interest in what the experts think or project. My opinions quite often do not align with yours. I am ok with that. I absolutely believe that DD is in the process of creating a stronger farm and that he has gotten off to a good start. That is my opinion.
    Everyday in my personal life, I am reminded of what the fucking experts think and say and everyday I see many of them proven wrong. i am willing to watch things play out before I formulate an opinion of anything based upon any experts projection. It is kind of like a weather forecast to me. Im not going to cancel a day of school based on an experts projection. They are wrong too often.

It says more about what people still think about Groome's potential than anything about the system.

I find it strange that so many people poo-poo'd Espinoza as a long shot after we dealt him away and now look to Groome as a possible savior.

Our farm is weak. I don't think that is being pessimistic. I think it is being realistic.

I have hopes for several prospects, but the very best ones are so far away, it's hard to feel that confident.

I find it strange that so many people poo-poo'd Espinoza as a long shot after we dealt him away and now look to Groome as a possible savior.
    Find me these so many people who look to Groome as a possible savior.