Register now to remove this ad

Page 9 of 68 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Prospect Mega Thread

It’s a type of seizure
    Hal sucks

http://soxprospects.com/players/mata-bryan.htm

Bryan Mata's page was just updated at SoxProspects.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

For some reason, I thought Mata was a fireballer.
    Hal sucks

http://news.soxprospects.com/2018/03...d-another.html

Sam Travis is only hitting .250 this spring, but he now leads the team with four home runs after launching a three-run home run on Saturday. He is third in slugging percentage among players receiving consistent playing time, trailing only Rafael Devers and Andrew Benintendi, and this was exactly the spring he needed to get his prospect status back on track.

@alexspeier

Groome pitched two innings. Allowed one infield single on a broken bat, and struck out the other six batters (4 on curveballs, 2 fastballs). Topped out at 94 in second inning.

@JMastrodonato

The AAA PawSox will change their name for virtually all of their Tuesday home games to Osos Polares de Pawtucket, “Polar Bears of Pawtucket” in English.

@JMastrodonato

33 minor league teams participating in this intuitive "specifically designed to embrace the culture and values that resonate most with participating teams’ local U.S. Hispanic/Latino communities." PawSox will wear different uniforms on Tuesdays.

SoxProspects guys are in camp now. Should be having much more player updates going forward.

@SoxProspects

Darwinzon Hernandez looks solid in the first. Fastball 92-94 mph, topped at 95 mph. Heavy use. Slider 83-84 mph. Mixed in a mid 80s changeup.

@EvanDrellich

Red Sox minor league catcher Oscar Hernandez, on Triple-A Pawtucket’s roster, suspended 50 games for second violation of drug of abuse.

Sox minor league catchers can't stop juicing.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    @EvanDrellich

Red Sox minor league catcher Oscar Hernandez, on Triple-A Pawtucket’s roster, suspended 50 games for second violation of drug of abuse.

Sox minor league catchers can't stop juicing.
    I guess their trying to go from 3 HRs a year to 5.

http://www.eagletribune.com/sports/l...3e7886494.html

The 23-year-old corner infielder was one of the final cuts of camp, but don't let Travis' absence on the Opening Day roster fool you. He took a leap forward in Fort Myers.

Travis has a slugger's build, but since arriving in Boston's system, he'd never had a year with more than nine home runs. To grow into a mainstay on the big league roster, Travis knew he'd need more power.

This spring, he found it. Travis led the Sox in homers (6) and RBIs (17), and there's reason to believe he'll keep hitting that way.

The seeds for Travis' emergence were planted months ago, and can be traced back to Alex Cora's emphasis on analytics. After looking over Travis' swing, new hitting coach Tim Hyers got to work quickly.

"In the offseason Tim sent me some video comparing me to guys and showing me what I did wrong, how I got away from myself," Travis said. "He was comparing me to some other swings. I was able to see... I just fully bought in."

"I've been working on changing the plane in my swing, focusing on the bottom half of the ball and trying to get it in the air," Travis said. "I've always been a guy that's trying to hit the ball a hard and whatever happens happens. Now I'm just trying to hit it hard and in the air."

"We’re going to keep Sam Travis," Dombrowski said. "Travis has had a tremendous spring. He looks like the guy that we have thought he would be, that I was told was here. In addition to that, he not only has hit, but he’s hit for power. He’s made some little adjustments with our people, so we really like what we see.

“We like him a lot and think he’s a part of our future,” Dombrowski concluded.

http://www.eagletribune.com/sports/l...3e7886494.html

The 23-year-old corner infielder was one of the final cuts of camp, but don't let Travis' absence on the Opening Day roster fool you. He took a leap forward in Fort Myers.

Travis has a slugger's build, but since arriving in Boston's system, he'd never had a year with more than nine home runs. To grow into a mainstay on the big league roster, Travis knew he'd need more power.

This spring, he found it. Travis led the Sox in homers (6) and RBIs (17), and there's reason to believe he'll keep hitting that way.

The seeds for Travis' emergence were planted months ago, and can be traced back to Alex Cora's emphasis on analytics. After looking over Travis' swing, new hitting coach Tim Hyers got to work quickly.

"In the offseason Tim sent me some video comparing me to guys and showing me what I did wrong, how I got away from myself," Travis said. "He was comparing me to some other swings. I was able to see... I just fully bought in."

"I've been working on changing the plane in my swing, focusing on the bottom half of the ball and trying to get it in the air," Travis said. "I've always been a guy that's trying to hit the ball a hard and whatever happens happens. Now I'm just trying to hit it hard and in the air."

"We’re going to keep Sam Travis," Dombrowski said. "Travis has had a tremendous spring. He looks like the guy that we have thought he would be, that I was told was here. In addition to that, he not only has hit, but he’s hit for power. He’s made some little adjustments with our people, so we really like what we see.

“We like him a lot and think he’s a part of our future,” Dombrowski concluded.
    Nice3 feel good story. It would be great to fins HRam's replacement from within the system. We will need his contract money to pay arb raises and to try and keep or replace, in kind, Pom and or Kimbrel.

He's got a good OBP tool. If he can show power (20+ HR's), he can be an MLB starter.

He's got a good OBP tool. If he can show power (20+ HR's), he can be an MLB starter.
    The OBP tool does not always translate to the ML level, as I'm sure you know.

I'm glad he's showing power, finally, and 1B might be our weakest position right now, so it's good that our most ML ready prospect plays 1B.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    The OBP tool does not always translate to the ML level, as I'm sure you know.

I'm glad he's showing power, finally, and 1B might be our weakest position right now, so it's good that our most ML ready prospect plays 1B.
    Nothing always translates to the ML level.

Nothing always translates to the ML level.
    Except possibly the desire to play there.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."