Register now to remove this ad

Page 62 of 66 FirstFirst ... 12526061626364 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Prospect Mega Thread

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    I would trade Chavis as soon as it took to make any kind of positive upgrade. I get the fact that Dalbec strikes out a lot but he has shown the ability to adjust at every level he has played at. His intro into AA ball was a good one.
    If you can hit for power in AA, you can hit for power at other levels. If Dalbec was in San Diego's farm, he'd be competing for a starting job for Opening Day.
    "Let's go!" - Joseph Kelly Jr

Young talent acquired by year:

2010:
    Workman, Raunado, Brentz (all comp picks)
    Bogaerts IFA
    Iggy & Montas IFA (traded for Peavy who got us Hembree)

2011:
    JBJ, Barnes, Swihart (all comp picks- now high ones like these are gone)
    Betts
    J Aro IFA

2012:
    Margot IFA (helped get us Kimbrel)
    Johnson, Maddox, Buttrey
    Light (comp pick- traded for Abad)
    Lin IFA

2013:
    Devers IFA
    TBall, Stanki
    G Bautista IFA
    Both Basabes (traded)
    J Guerra (helped to get Kimbrel)
    D Hernandez IFA

Moncada IFA (traded for Sale)
    Kopech (comp pick traded for Sale)
    A Espinoza IFA (traded for Pom)
    Chavis, S Travis, Shepherd
    R Castillo IFA

Beni (7th pick- no more of these for a while)
    Lakins, Poyner

2016:
    Groome, Chatham, Dalbec
    Velazquez IFA
    B Mata IFA

Houck, Brannen, Scherff
    A Flores, D Diaz IFA

Casas, Decker, Feltman, Durran

Now, maybe I'm undervaluing guys like Mata, Casas, Flores, Diaz, Feltman, Groome and Dalbec, but the prospects we acquired from 2016 to 2018 do not seem close to those from the previous era under different rules and circumstances.

2013-2015:
    Beni, Devers, Moncada, Kopech, Espinoza, Chavis and others highly rated enough to trade for useful pieces.

2010-2012:
    Betts, Bogey, JBJ, Barnes, Iggy, Margot, Johnson and others.

To me, these 3 year groups from before these last years looks way better. granted, this group has not had a chance to prove themselves, but none are as highly rated as many of the other groups had, even when they were very young and far from the majors.

That's the rub of being good, the talent brought in isn't as good. That being said, I think DD picked the wrong players and has a development team that isn't pulling their weight
    The rebuild is complete.

Too early to judge 2017 & 2018 picks, I know the previous years have not been good, but let's see how the rest of them perform this year before ruling them out

Quote Originally Posted by Carpin View Post
    Too early to judge 2017 & 2018 picks, I know the previous years have not been good, but let's see how the rest of them perform this year before ruling them out
    Are you trying to start something here by being a little positive about the kids we have in the minors? We might have the weakest farm system in the history of the game. It has been said! lol

Are you trying to start something here by being a little positive about the kids we have in the minors? We might have the weakest farm system in the history of the game. It has been said! lol
    Not really, odds are they won't be very good based on previous years experience, but I'm a big believer in the new generations and don't like to discard them until they have their fair chance.

By the way, your farm is one of the worst I can remember, but it's worth it, you have a WS ring to show for it and that's what matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Carpin View Post
    Not really, odds are they won't be very good based on previous years experience, but I'm a big believer in the new generations and don't like to discard them until they have their fair chance.

By the way, your farm is one of the worst I can remember, but it's worth it, you have a WS ring to show for it and that's what matters.
    Actually i was just be sarcastic.

Not the history of the game, but pretty weak. Think about it, you dealt away everyone, you didn't draft well, you didn't develop well, and the two guys who ended up rising in rankings got hurt or busted for PEDs. Now you get to draft at 40 and have restricted funds for IFA while developing the crap that is there now. The farm resembles the Yankees farm pre-Cano. Pretty dead
    The rebuild is complete.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Not the history of the game, but pretty weak. Think about it, you dealt away everyone, you didn't draft well, you didn't develop well, and the two guys who ended up rising in rankings got hurt or busted for PEDs. Now you get to draft at 40 and have restricted funds for IFA while developing the crap that is there now. The farm resembles the Yankees farm pre-Cano. Pretty dead
    hey now stop that - I'm not about to follow down your path of breadcrumbs that always has me saying something I might regret. I have expressed my feelings pretty well I think when it comes to our minor leaguers. It makes 0 difference to me what anyone says or thinks I still feel that we have some potentially very good young talent and I'm anxious to watch them play.

hey now stop that - I'm not about to follow down your path of breadcrumbs that always has me saying something I might regret. I have expressed my feelings pretty well I think when it comes to our minor leaguers. It makes 0 difference to me what anyone says or thinks I still feel that we have some potentially very good young talent and I'm anxious to watch them play.
    Every farm has guys who have talent. The question is, do you have a development group capable of nurturing that. I think you did with BC and TE. You don't with DD.
    The rebuild is complete.

Every farm has guys who have talent. The question is, do you have a development group capable of nurturing that. I think you did with BC and TE. You don't with DD.
    That statement is just so wrong. Lots of the same guys running the system. Traded Jalen Beeks a 12th round pick for Eovaldi through great development. Traded Espinal for Pearce through good development. There issue was the graduations, trades and international penalties for 2 years.

I already got my binky this year in the Minors, besides Reyes, Alexander Montero. Saw him Pitch for Lowell, and he has some nasty stuff. The game I saw he was Outstanding. He got hurt in game, and took him out. Hasn't pitched since, but they promoted him to Salem. That was weird.

But, anyway if this promotion is true, he has gone from 1 season in DSL, by passed GCL, and went to Lowell, then Salem, that's a hell of a jump. Here's his history. He by passed 2 Leagues, entirely. Espinoza didn't do this.
    http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp...ching/2018/ALL

I'm keeping an eye on this kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisk View Post
    That statement is just so wrong. Lots of the same guys running the system. Traded Jalen Beeks a 12th round pick for Eovaldi through great development. Traded Espinal for Pearce through good development. There issue was the graduations, trades and international penalties for 2 years.
    Or it could be the lack of draft success.

In 2015, the sox had the 7th pick in the draft. They turned it into Beni, which was great. But the only other picks that were reasonable were Lakins in the 6th round and Allen in the 8th. Allen is now in SD. The rest of that draft (granted, they lost their 2nd rounder due to the signing of Sandoval) was a wash. For a team picking that high, that's really bad.

Their 2016 draft was led by Jay Groome, who has been all hype and absolutely no production or health. Chatham has kept some prospect stock, but relied on a ridiculous BABIP to have a good season in 2018 at a level where he was older than the competition. Anderson looks like he was a good 3rd rounder, but he's now in SF. Dalbec was the 4th rounder, and he's definitely an intriguing prospect, but scouting sites don't believe in him because of his ridiculously high K rates. Shawaryn was the 5th rounder and he's been steady albeit with unspectacular stuff. The 2016 draft doesn't have the big headliner right now with Groome being on the shelf, but it at least is the deepest draft for DD.

The 2017 draft to this point looks like a complete bust. Houck was miserable until the second half of the season. He might end up being the saving grace of the draft as he has the biggest tools. Brannen couldn't hit in 2018. Netzer cannot hit. Thompson got shelled. Scherff lost velocity and had a pretty bad 2018. Schellenger barely took the mound. Esplin couldn't hit. The rest is a rag tag group of guys with little to no production leaving the entire draft sitting on the shoulders of Houck. DD's 2017 was epically bad.

Clearly, DD's 2018 is too early to judge, but it didn't help that their top dog in that draft missed his debut season with a hand injury.

When you're drafting as late as DD has from 2016-2018 and soon to be again in 2019, you cannot miss on an entire draft. The lost 2017 draft is really hurting the farm
    The rebuild is complete.

Or it could be the lack of draft success.

In 2015, the sox had the 7th pick in the draft. They turned it into Beni, which was great. But the only other picks that were reasonable were Lakins in the 6th round and Allen in the 8th. Allen is now in SD. The rest of that draft (granted, they lost their 2nd rounder due to the signing of Sandoval) was a wash. For a team picking that high, that's really bad.

Their 2016 draft was led by Jay Groome, who has been all hype and absolutely no production or health. Chatham has kept some prospect stock, but relied on a ridiculous BABIP to have a good season in 2018 at a level where he was older than the competition. Anderson looks like he was a good 3rd rounder, but he's now in SF. Dalbec was the 4th rounder, and he's definitely an intriguing prospect, but scouting sites don't believe in him because of his ridiculously high K rates. Shawaryn was the 5th rounder and he's been steady albeit with unspectacular stuff. The 2016 draft doesn't have the big headliner right now with Groome being on the shelf, but it at least is the deepest draft for DD.

The 2017 draft to this point looks like a complete bust. Houck was miserable until the second half of the season. He might end up being the saving grace of the draft as he has the biggest tools. Brannen couldn't hit in 2018. Netzer cannot hit. Thompson got shelled. Scherff lost velocity and had a pretty bad 2018. Schellenger barely took the mound. Esplin couldn't hit. The rest is a rag tag group of guys with little to no production leaving the entire draft sitting on the shoulders of Houck. DD's 2017 was epically bad.

Clearly, DD's 2018 is too early to judge, but it didn't help that their top dog in that draft missed his debut season with a hand injury.

When you're drafting as late as DD has from 2016-2018 and soon to be again in 2019, you cannot miss on an entire draft. The lost 2017 draft is really hurting the farm
    Actually 2017 was looking better in the second half Houck had a much better second half and has a floor of an mlb reliever, scherff definitely had an uptick in the second half and schellenger was healthy the second half and could be a end of game reliever. 18 looks to be a potentially good draft and internationally with Flores, Diaz and Jimenez they have some high upside prospects even though they are far away.

The teams ranking should look much better a year from now but unlike you I’m not dreaming of jumping over 10 spots.