Register now to remove this ad

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: 2018 Prospect Mega Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    Desperate dave should probably draft by throwing darts at a dart board. Because what he is doing now is beyond putrid!

Ps: if houck ever learns to throw strikes, he could be our future closer. But the more realistic scenario is we cut him in a few years and Tampa claims him and he because an all star closer for them!
    Here is what I have noted about DD. His drafts seem to follow the BA handbook and while that can be a good thing, that can also be a disaster. The major publications are grading players on all around tools and their rankings seem to entail players' ceilings, they very rarely seem to implicate a player's floor. I get that drafting a Greg Bird type player didn't really sit well with BA since he was too big for his position, slow of foot and effectively limited to C or 1b. But the kid was able to mash and had a good eye from day 1. Then they go ga-ga over guys like CJ Henry who can run circles around everyone and when they connect, they can hit it a country mile, but their approach is garbage, pitch selection sucks and they have no discipline. There are times to grab guys with potential but a wide gap between the now and the ceiling, see a guy like Cole Brannen. You draft those guys when your organization is flush with talent in the upper minors and you can wait on the development and can afford the bust potential. The sox don't have that right now. A better approach is a draft that brings in guys who aren't far from their ceiling. Maybe they aren't likely to be an all star, but the likelihood they are a solid starter in the bigs either on offense or on the mound is very high. That isn't DD's MO, though. He drafts guys on ceiling and doesn't seem to care about their bust potential. This has blown up in his face as the 2016 and 2017 drafts have looked pretty miserable to this point
    The rebuild is complete.

Makes me wonder what would could have been if desperate Dave had not run off all th kids from the baseball operations department. Now we are left with a guy that does not listen to his scouts and does not have a plan for the short, intermediate or long term.

I wonder what ownership thinks?

Probably an extension.

Makes me wonder what would could have been if desperate Dave had not run off all th kids from the baseball operations department. Now we are left with a guy that does not listen to his scouts and does not have a plan for the short, intermediate or long term.

I guess JH didn't think much of the last place finishes under Ben.

Say what you want but under DD we have 2 first place finishes and a great start this year.

I get all the cliff talk, but saying he hasn't done well in the short term is kind of stupid, Larry.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post

Say what you want but under DD we have 2 first place finishes and a great start this year.

I get all the cliff talk, but saying he hasn't done well in the short term is kind of stupid, Larry.
    He actually created a 4-5 year window, which also qualifies as an "intermediate" plan

Dombrowski has done an excellent job for the short term. But honestly, I think that had Ben not been let go, the team would still have finished in first place both seasons, or at least made the playoffs.

The team was primed. Dombrowski added the finishing touches, which I am sure Ben would have done as well. They might not have been the same finishing touches, but he would have done enough to get the team to the playoffs. Any other GM coming in could have gotten the team to the playoffs with a couple of finishing touches.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Dombrowski has done an excellent job for the short term. But honestly, I think that had Ben not been let go, the team would still have finished in first place both seasons, or at least made the playoffs.

The team was primed. Dombrowski added the finishing touches, which I am sure Ben would have done as well. They might not have been the same finishing touches, but he would have done enough to get the team to the playoffs. Any other GM coming in could have gotten the team to the playoffs with a couple of finishing touches.
    Your position is reasonable. Larry's is not.

DD and Ben are on the opposing ends of the spectrum from builder to finisher. The sox would have been better off long term with someone in the middle, but Henry wanted to win now and he got it

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    DD and Ben are on the opposing ends of the spectrum from builder to finisher. The sox would have been better off long term with someone in the middle, but Henry wanted to win now and he got it
    We could go on and on about Ben, and we probably will. He did some very good things but the team also made some terrible blunders in his tenure. Whether they were all his blunders or not we'll never know. Until Larry Lucchino's deathbed confessions, perhaps.

Dalbec with his 8th tater today. Chatham with his first today as well.

Iím sorry I thought we were talking about desperate daveís Drafting plans, or lack thereof.