Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29

Thread: Baseball America Top 100

  1. #1

    Baseball America Top 100

    The list is out.

    Only two Red Sox (Groome and Chavis) in the top 100.

    None in the top 80..

  2. #2
    "Let's go!" - Joseph Kelly Jr

  3. #3
    Red Sox Stats
    ‏ @redsoxstats
    4m4 minutes ago

    Red Sox Stats Retweeted Ben Badler

    Sox ranking over the past six year: 6, 2, 5, 4, 14, 24



    Thanks Dave!

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Red Sox Stats
    ‏ @redsoxstats
    4m4 minutes ago

    Red Sox Stats Retweeted Ben Badler

    Sox ranking over the past six year: 6, 2, 5, 4, 14, 24



    Thanks Dave!
    Sale

    Pomeranz

    Kimbrel

    Thornburg

    Thanks Ben!

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Sale

    Pomeranz

    Kimbrel

    Thornburg

    Thanks Ben!
    A fellow poster on another site took a shot at Theo (how dare he?) because the Cubs don't have any prospects in the top 100. There are 3 reasons why what Theo has done is okay but what Dombrowski has done is not:

    1. Theo built that farm so it was his to do with as he saw fit. It was time for his 5 year plan to come to fruition, which it did. Which brings me to reason 2.
    2. The Cubbies won a World Series Championship with the trades Theo made. If the Red Sox win a championship in the next 2 years, I'll take back every cliff comment I ever made.
    3. Even after the championship, the Cubbies 'window' is longer than ours. They are still set for long enough that they will have their next wave of prospects ready to go when they need them.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    A fellow poster on another site took a shot at Theo (how dare he?) because the Cubs don't have any prospects in the top 100. There are 3 reasons why what Theo has done is okay but what Dombrowski has done is not:

    1. Theo built that farm so it was his to do with as he saw fit. It was time for his 5 year plan to come to fruition, which it did. Which brings me to reason 2.
    2. The Cubbies won a World Series Championship with the trades Theo made. If the Red Sox win a championship in the next 2 years, I'll take back every cliff comment I ever made.
    3. Even after the championship, the Cubbies 'window' is longer than ours. They are still set for long enough that they will have their next wave of prospects ready to go when they need them.
    What "next wave"?

    Finishing with great records will keep his draft picks low, the Cubs are limited in international FA signings just like everyone else and they will be facing luxury tax limits like us before too long.

    Theo built up the farm that produced these current stars under a much different setting than he has now. He had a very hard time rebuilding our farm while we were winning, and the system was easier for big spending teams back then.

    Can he rebuild the Cubs' farm system while winning? I'll believe it when I see it.
    Last edited by moonslav59; 01-31-2018 at 06:36 PM.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    A fellow poster on another site took a shot at Theo (how dare he?) because the Cubs don't have any prospects in the top 100. There are 3 reasons why what Theo has done is okay but what Dombrowski has done is not:

    1. Theo built that farm so it was his to do with as he saw fit. It was time for his 5 year plan to come to fruition, which it did. Which brings me to reason 2.
    2. The Cubbies won a World Series Championship with the trades Theo made. If the Red Sox win a championship in the next 2 years, I'll take back every cliff comment I ever made.
    3. Even after the championship, the Cubbies 'window' is longer than ours. They are still set for long enough that they will have their next wave of prospects ready to go when they need them.
    The Cubbies won a World Series where they were outs away from being buried - you know better than to judge entirely on the outcome of the tournament.

    The Red Sox window is no less open - prime guys same age, yada yada ... the gap is just not nearly as big.

    This stuff happens all the time - teams are bad, they play kids, the kids get better, they have to restock. Since the Red Sox are rich, they have more means to buttress some of the effects, more "calculated risk" than a cliff. For instance, 2014 and 2015 were bad teams - but the Red Sox had lots of reasons to think they would be good. The cliff, such as it is, will be teams where more things have to go right (but not an unreasonable amount of them). If the Red Sox cannot reload, it is because they picked the wrong players.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    What "next wave"?

    Finishing with great records will keep his draft picks low, the Cubs are limited in international FA signings just like everyone else and they will be facing luxury tax limits like us before too long.

    Theo built up the farm that produced these current stars under a much different setting than he has now. He had a very hard time rebuilding our farm while we were winning, and the system was easier for big spending teams back then.

    Can he rebuild the Cubs' farm system while winning? I'll believe it when I see it.
    The next wave that is already in their system, but not yet ranked in the top 100. I'm just going by what I've read.

    And yes, Theo can rebuild the farm system while winning. He is the GOAT.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post
    The Cubbies won a World Series where they were outs away from being buried - you know better than to judge entirely on the outcome of the tournament.

    The Red Sox window is no less open - prime guys same age, yada yada ... the gap is just not nearly as big.

    This stuff happens all the time - teams are bad, they play kids, the kids get better, they have to restock. Since the Red Sox are rich, they have more means to buttress some of the effects, more "calculated risk" than a cliff. For instance, 2014 and 2015 were bad teams - but the Red Sox had lots of reasons to think they would be good. The cliff, such as it is, will be teams where more things have to go right (but not an unreasonable amount of them). If the Red Sox cannot reload, it is because they picked the wrong players.
    I understand that winning or losing in the World Series is a toss up. It's one of the reasons that I'm not in favor of the 'win now' philosophy. A team can be all in and come away with nothing. However, since winning the WS is the ultimate goal, if a team does win the championship, then IMO, the moves made, including depletion of the farm system, are justified.

    I agree that the Sox can reload, but until it happens, the cliff exists.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    I understand that winning or losing in the World Series is a toss up. It's one of the reasons that I'm not in favor of the 'win now' philosophy. A team can be all in and come away with nothing. However, since winning the WS is the ultimate goal, if a team does win the championship, then IMO, the moves made, including depletion of the farm system, are justified.
    So that would mean the entire justification or lack of justification of your team-building approach depends on luck.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    I understand that winning or losing in the World Series is a toss up. It's one of the reasons that I'm not in favor of the 'win now' philosophy. A team can be all in and come away with nothing. However, since winning the WS is the ultimate goal, if a team does win the championship, then IMO, the moves made, including depletion of the farm system, are justified.

    I agree that the Sox can reload, but until it happens, the cliff exists.
    Oh I disagree there - I mean the Cubs put a ton of chips on the table in 2016, because they knew they had a great team ... and those players deserved the best possible swing at a title. Even if it didn't work - it was the right thing to do. Life is precious, and you have to pounce on opportunities.

    This is not a defense of "Bagwell for Andersen" moves which were just a poor use of resources.

    The Sox built this team the right way - it is hard to have an issue with using blocked minor leaguers and lower level pitchers to try to fill in some gaps. It is on Henry to prioritize finding kids for the next generation (and to open up the checkbook for the stars of today when appropriate).

  12. #12
    I wouldn't use the term "blocked kids". Kopech and Espinosa weren't blocked. When you dealt Margot, you didn't know if Bradley was for real or not. Also, Beni had just been drafted, so there was still an open OF slot. Moncada could have slotted over to 3b or pushed Xander to 3b. Shaw would have started for you last year. There wasn't a single prospect dealt that couldn't have been fit onto your squad.
    The rebuild is complete.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    I wouldn't use the term "blocked kids". Kopech and Espinosa weren't blocked. When you dealt Margot, you didn't know if Bradley was for real or not. Also, Beni had just been drafted, so there was still an open OF slot. Moncada could have slotted over to 3b or pushed Xander to 3b. Shaw would have started for you last year. There wasn't a single prospect dealt that couldn't have been fit onto your squad.
    Very true, or they could have held longer and been traded for some of these bargain deals made this winter.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    I wouldn't use the term "blocked kids". Kopech and Espinosa weren't blocked. When you dealt Margot, you didn't know if Bradley was for real or not. Also, Beni had just been drafted, so there was still an open OF slot. Moncada could have slotted over to 3b or pushed Xander to 3b. Shaw would have started for you last year. There wasn't a single prospect dealt that couldn't have been fit onto your squad.
    Kinda sorta - if Dombrowski showed up, did his analysis of the farm, identified Benintendi and Devers as the keepers and decided everything else was better sourced by the major league team, at least within the time frame which matters here. Espinoza and Kopech were ultimately dealt because they were pitchers, and come with an inherently much wider range of outcomes than position players. I was not a fan of the Pomeranz trade, but the idea of seeing a toolsy single-A pitcher with a wiry frame and saying "there's a lot of risk there" is pretty defensible.

    Moncada they looked at him in 2016 and clearly decided he was not the best 3B prospect in the org - so time to use him to get Sale.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Very true, or they could have held longer and been traded for some of these bargain deals made this winter.
    Yes, I am sure if Dombrowski knew that the Marlins would be sold and their owner and GM were willing to sell off All-Star players for sacks of potatoes and magic beans, he probably holds these guys a bit longer.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •