Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post
Oh I disagree there - I mean the Cubs put a ton of chips on the table in 2016, because they knew they had a great team ... and those players deserved the best possible swing at a title. Even if it didn't work - it was the right thing to do. Life is precious, and you have to pounce on opportunities.

This is not a defense of "Bagwell for Andersen" moves which were just a poor use of resources.

The Sox built this team the right way - it is hard to have an issue with using blocked minor leaguers and lower level pitchers to try to fill in some gaps. It is on Henry to prioritize finding kids for the next generation (and to open up the checkbook for the stars of today when appropriate).
My point is this: If given the choice between having monster team for 3 years, then potentially being out of contention for the next 3 years, or of having a contending team year in an year out, I'm going with the latter. How much greater is the monster team's probability of winning the World Series over the contending team. Is it a big enough difference to go for broke? IMO, it's not.

If Dombrowski keeps us in contention after 2020, then I will readily admit how wrong I was.