Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Starting Rotation Mega Thread

2018 Starting Rotation Mega Thread

Thoughts regarding the Sox' starting rotation should go here.

@JMastrodonato

Steven Wright said it’s realistic he could be ready to go for the first series vs Tampa but he has to see how he recovers. 63 pitches today. Presumably in five days he gets to 80, that’s probably enough to feel good about him starting Game 4. His knuckleball needs work, he said.

Wright is such a huge wild card. He could be great like 2016 or he could be Charlie Zink.

ERod is taking good steps to getting back, but I wish he was ready for the first series. Pomeranz just doesn't seem to be a guy you can rely on to go a full season either. This shows why Porcello is kinda valuable IMO. Sale is great. Price could be great, but could also be done for the season after any pitch. Maybe Johnson can step up?

At least we don't have the spectre of Clay Buchholz looming over this rotation anymore.

@PeteAbe

Steven Wright went 4 innings vs, Balt. minor leaguers at Fenway South. 4 ER, 6 H, 4 BB, 1 K.

Then Kimbrel came in for an inning. 12 pitches, 10 strikes, 3 K

I'd probably give Wright 2-3 more starts before calling him up.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    @PeteAbe

Steven Wright went 4 innings vs, Balt. minor leaguers at Fenway South. 4 ER, 6 H, 4 BB, 1 K.

Then Kimbrel came in for an inning. 12 pitches, 10 strikes, 3 K

Jason Mastrodonato
    ‏Verified account @JMastrodonato
    17m17 minutes ago

I would describe the reactions by the Orioles minor leaguers to Craig Kimbrel’s fastball as astonishment, laughter and fear. Three batters faced. Three strikeouts. One guy did hit a foul ball.

That’s surprising. Kimbrel’s fastball is impressive, but his slider is just dirty. Most minor leaguers can hit heat.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    That’s surprising. Kimbrel’s fastball is impressive, but his slider is just dirty. Most minor leaguers can hit heat.
    Is it a slider or a curve? And I completely agree it's effective--in fact, crucial, for the reason you state.

Last year Devers I think hit a dinger off your closer's 103 mph fastball or something like that.

Exactly. Kimbrel can locate his heat and throw the slider where it cannot be hit. Knowing the slider is coming makes the heater even more powerful

@PeteAbe

Brian Johnson through 3 IP:

1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 5 K.

Ended the third by getting Judge on a double-play ball into a shift.

If Johnson can pitch well enough, he has a chance to stick around in the rotation for a while!

@ByChrisMason

Drew Pomeranz faced 9 batters in a controlled minor league game. 3 hits, 2 ER, 1 BB, 1 K. Threw 48 pitches, 27 strikes. Was feeling good physically afterwards.

@ByChrisMason

Pomeranz: "That's the first game I've been in in a long time. So that's honestly about the best I could have hoped for. I felt good... I threw 3 today, I'd imagine I'll push toward 4 next time and onward and upwards."

@EvanDrellich

Red Sox pitcher Steven Wright suspended 15 games for domestic violence policy violation, NBC Sports Boston has learned

I'm sure Jacko will make a post about this sooner than later.

With Wright gone for 15 games to begin the season it is particularly encouraging to see Johnson look good again today.

He threw 77 pitches today and never looked like he was in trouble. Against a real Yankee lineup.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

15 days might be just about what Wright needed to be at 100% or so.

It doesn't hurt.

I guess we'll see Velazquez game 5.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    @EvanDrellich

Red Sox pitcher Steven Wright suspended 15 games for domestic violence policy violation, NBC Sports Boston has learned

I'm sure Jacko will make a post about this sooner than later.
    I will. If he was arrested for domestic violence and will have it hanging over his head (no further "incidents") until December 2018, he is scum. Assuming he rejoins the Boston team, I hope Cora uses him regularly as a pinchrunner.

Deity
    BRIAN JOHNSON - might just be his time!

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    BRIAN JOHNSON - might just be his time!
    He's always had decent stuff. Now, let's see it BRIAN!