Register now to remove this ad

Page 32 of 62 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast
Results 466 to 480 of 917

Thread: Spring Training 2018 Thread

  1. #466
    Sometimes guys get rushed to the majors for how the perform on one side of the ball where's the other is lacking.

    People forget that these players are developing defensively as well. I don't think Devers is a future GG but I've heard a lot of good things about scouts believing he has the tools and the work ethic to develop into an average defender. If his bat is close to being as special as they say it is (and so far how it has looked) that is more than acceptable.

  2. #467
    Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    Sometimes guys get rushed to the majors for how the perform on one side of the ball where's the other is lacking.

    People forget that these players are developing defensively as well. I don't think Devers is a future GG but I've heard a lot of good things about scouts believing he has the tools and the work ethic to develop into an average defender. If his bat is close to being as special as they say it is (and so far how it has looked) that is more than acceptable.
    They needed him. It was necessary to get that bat in the lineup. Most young players who get the call are in fact still developing. Holding him back I think hoping that his fielding would improve would have been a waste of time for both him and the organization. He really is quite athletic. He should come along. If you kept all of your youngsters back until they were fully cooked ai'm afraid that your teams would suffer on many occasions. It is possible that given time to grow into things that he becomes outstanding in all phases of the game.

  3. #468
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Swihart, at one point, was projected to be an above average defender. He got yanked around a bit by the team, sometimes out of necessity, sometimes out of panic. With enough playing time behind the plate, I think he could be a solid defender. He won't reach Vazquez level, but he could be solid.
    I think he was projected as a plus on defense too early, probably due to his extremely quick release time on throws to 2B amd strong arm. As we all know, throwing out base stealers is just a minor part of catcher defense.

    I seriously doubt Swi will ever become good enough on defense for my liking, but if his bat develops into something special, he might not have to get beyond barely decent on D

  4. #469
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    When it comes to bench guys and middle reliever types, those who have options start the season in AAA.

    It might not be fair, but it's the smart thing to do.
    Yeah but the sox leaving Holt off the 25???... Iíll believe it when I see it.

  5. #470
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Swihart, at one point, was projected to be an above average defender. He got yanked around a bit by the team, sometimes out of necessity, sometimes out of panic. With enough playing time behind the plate, I think he could be a solid defender. He won't reach Vazquez level, but he could be solid.
    Hmm. I just wonder why you think Swihart "won't reach Vasquez level" defensively.

    And how is it not likely that he can be an average catcher with a pretty good stick?
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.


    "It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

  6. #471
    Quote Originally Posted by Emp9 View Post
    Yeah but the sox leaving Holt off the 25???... I’ll believe it when I see it.
    Yeah I don't see that happening unless he is hurt.

    Although Cora and DD could become ruthless and just dump him, I guess.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.


    "It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

  7. #472
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    Yeah I don't see that happening unless he is hurt.

    Although Cora and DD could become ruthless and just dump him, I guess.
    Whats wrong with that? He's done nothing last two years.

  8. #473
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Whats wrong with that? He's done nothing last two years.
    He was respectable in 2016, and injured last year.

  9. #474
    Quote Originally Posted by Emp9 View Post
    Yeah but the sox leaving Holt off the 25???... Iíll believe it when I see it.
    It's an unhealthy love affair.

  10. #475
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    It's an unhealthy love affair.
    Yeah Boston has taken to Holt but the act that was once exciting and electric is now injury prone and mundane .

  11. #476
    Thank God fans don't run the team LOL

  12. #477
    Quote Originally Posted by Natick to NC View Post
    Yeah Boston has taken to Holt but the act that was once exciting and electric is now injury prone and mundane .
    Never excited me.

  13. #478
    Holt was an excellent value in 2014 and 2015. Not so much since.

  14. #479
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Holt was an excellent value in 2014 and 2015. Not so much since.
    Anyone might have been an excellent value in those two years. If memory serves, we were really bad- really. I'm not suggesting that Holt had much to do with this but his greatest achievement during those two years may have been simply to keep fan interest. He was a curiosity - How many different positions can a guy play? Having him not on the 25 man to start the season might really be the best decision. We pretty much know what he has to give us. I'm not impressed.

  15. #480
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Holt was an excellent value in 2014 and 2015. Not so much since.
    As a sub, yes, but even then, he never "excited" ,e.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •