Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: General catch-all baseball thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    No-hitters are one of the most overrated events in sports - with one qualifier. Multiple no-hit games are impressive. Nolan Ryan had 7 of them, Koufax had 4. That's impressive.

But one-off no-hitters don't mean much.

Philip Humber pitched one of the 23 perfect games in MLB history back in 2012, in his second start of the season. Nice. Unfortunately in his next start he gave up 9 runs in 5 innings. He went on to finish the season with a 6.44 ERA. In 2013 he went 0-8 with a 7.90 ERA and that was it for him.

The history of no-hitters by Red Sox pitchers says a lot:

Clemens never had one.
    Pedro never had one.
    But Hideo Nomo had one.
    In 1992 Matt Young almost had one, throwing an 8-inning complete game giving up no hits, but 7 walks and a run and losing 1-0.

(As hardcore Sox fans know, Derek Lowe, Clay Buchholz and Jon Lester each had one, and Varitek caught them all, plus the one by Nomo.)

I'm just having fun with this, OK...
    Not taking anything away from Manaea, but I don't think anyone would disagree that luck (randomness) plays a part in no hitters. Which is why some of the greatest pitchers never had one and some lesser pitchers do.

Both Leon and Beni could have had hits last night, but for the random decisions of the official scorer and the umpires.

I think probably one of the most difficult things in throwing a no hitter is being able to keep the pitch count low enough to get a complete game. Completes games, in and of themselves, are such rare feats these days.

One of the all-time classic no-hitters was the one tossed by Edwin Jackson for Arizona in 2010.

Jackson gave up 8 walks in the game and had to throw 149 pitches. There was plenty of talk that maybe they shouldn't have let him throw so many pitches in spite of having a no-hitter going.

Concerns about the number of pitches proved to be justified. In his next 5 starts, Jackson went 1-4 with a 7.24 ERA.

Then Arizona traded him to the White Sox at the July 31 deadline.
    A no hitter in which a pitcher gives up so many walks just doesn't sit right with me.

I just love stuff that's weird and quirky, I can't help it...and baseball is full of such things.

I just love stuff that's weird and quirky, I can't help it...and baseball is full of such things.
    It's the beauty of the sport.

Speaking of quirky, someone sent me this video yesterday of David Hulse hitting 4 consecutive foul balls into the same spot in the Angels dugout. The reactions of the players are hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V3G8WMn2Xo

That is some funny shit.

I liked the cop waving the white towel.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Super, Duper Moderator Youk Of The Nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Speaking of quirky, someone sent me this video yesterday of David Hulse hitting 4 consecutive foul balls into the same spot in the Angels dugout. The reactions of the players are hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V3G8WMn2Xo

That was ridiculous enough that it's actually included in his Wikipedia page, along with a mention of his being in the outfield when Canseco let that ball bounce off of his head for a HR.
    Quote Originally Posted by YANKEESRULE View Post
    Yea got hand it to the Sox, they just could not go queitly into the night. Well, they are just post-poning the inevitable.
    - From the 2004 ALCS Game 4 Gamethread. A reminder that no game is over until the final out is recorded, and things will always get better. Misspellings unchanged as a reminder that Yankees fans are just terrible.

@joe_sheehan

There has never been a month in baseball history with more strikeouts than hits. With eight days left in March/April 2018:

Strikeouts: 5562
    Hits: 5174

What a crazy world we live in now.

Who wants to see me sock a few dingers?
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Mookie laughs at strikeouts.

Quote Originally Posted by Station 13 View Post
    Mookie laughs at strikeouts.
    Sox are the best team at K/SO ratio (the Sox pitchers strike out more batters than opposing pitchers strike out Sox batters).

Didn't realize how good the Astros rotation has been. Verlander seems to have found the fountain of youth with Houston.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    @joe_sheehan

There has never been a month in baseball history with more strikeouts than hits. With eight days left in March/April 2018:

Strikeouts: 5562
    Hits: 5174

What a crazy world we live in now.

Who wants to see me sock a few dingers?
    I've always thought Ks were over rated.

Travis Shaw with Milwaukee:

.289/.392/.518

.289/.392/.518
    Travis Shaw with Boston:

.251/.312/.442

Someone, not me, might argue he wilts under the spotlight or the pressure that comes with playing in Boston.

.289/.392/.518
    I love too believe that Shaw will have a .400 OBP at year end.