Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 68

Thread: General catch-all baseball thread

  1. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    a trial balloon that quickly turned into the Hindenburg.
    I have to admire the craftsmanship of this sentence.
    Quote Originally Posted by YANKEESRULE View Post
    Yea got hand it to the Sox, they just could not go queitly into the night. Well, they are just post-poning the inevitable.
    - From the 2004 ALCS Game 4 Gamethread. A reminder that no game is over until the final out is recorded, and things will always get better. Misspellings unchanged as a reminder that Yankees fans are just terrible.

  2. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Youk Of The Nation View Post
    I have to admire the craftsmanship of this sentence.
    Yes, that was a good one.

  3. #18
    If you think things are awkward with Steven Wright, consider that Miguel Sano is playing for the Twins right now...
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

  4. #19
    I actually got a laugh out of Shaughnessy's latest column. It's about baseball in the age of the millenials. He mentions that the Red Sox employ

    no fewer than four club mental skills coordinators and Dr. Richard Ginsburg, who is the PhD director of the club’s behavioral health program.

    I asked Hall of Famer Jim Palmer if the Orioles provided him with a mental skills coach back in the 1970s.

    “If we had one of those, the guy would have spent more time with Earl Weaver than he would have spent with us,’’ said Palmer.

    “Motivational speeches? Here’s one. Earl would run out to the mound in the middle of an inning and say, ‘Hey, are you fucking* trying?’ ’’


    *It says [expletive] here in the actual article, of course.

  5. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I actually got a laugh out of Shaughnessy's latest column. It's about baseball in the age of the millenials. He mentions that the Red Sox employ

    no fewer than four club mental skills coordinators and Dr. Richard Ginsburg, who is the PhD director of the club’s behavioral health program.

    I asked Hall of Famer Jim Palmer if the Orioles provided him with a mental skills coach back in the 1970s.

    “If we had one of those, the guy would have spent more time with Earl Weaver than he would have spent with us,’’ said Palmer.

    “Motivational speeches? Here’s one. Earl would run out to the mound in the middle of an inning and say, ‘Hey, are you fucking* trying?’ ’’


    *It says [expletive] here in the actual article, of course.
    Damn millenials: https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.asp...385&position=P

  6. #21
    Jerry Moses has recently passed away. RIP Jerry - I remember him very well back in the day.

  7. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    Jerry Moses has recently passed away. RIP Jerry - I remember him very well back in the day.
    Wow.

    A real catcher.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.


    "It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

  8. #23
    With Carlos Beltran retiring after last season, Adrian Beltre and Bartolo Colon are the last remaining active players who debuted in the 1990s. How's that for making you feel old? Makes me feel positively ancient.
    Quote Originally Posted by YANKEESRULE View Post
    Yea got hand it to the Sox, they just could not go queitly into the night. Well, they are just post-poning the inevitable.
    - From the 2004 ALCS Game 4 Gamethread. A reminder that no game is over until the final out is recorded, and things will always get better. Misspellings unchanged as a reminder that Yankees fans are just terrible.

  9. #24
    Broken bat HR by Harper. haha

  10. #25
    Not even domes are safe in this kind of epically shitty weather. The Jays had to postpone tonight's game because ice was falling from the roof in the Rogers Centre.

  11. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Not even domes are safe in this kind of epically shitty weather. The Jays had to postpone tonight's game because ice was falling from the roof in the Rogers Centre.
    Things will get gradually worse as far as weather interfering with schedules, etc.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.


    "It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

  12. #27
    Bautista signs a minor league contract with the Braves. How the mighty have fallen.
    Quote Originally Posted by YANKEESRULE View Post
    Yea got hand it to the Sox, they just could not go queitly into the night. Well, they are just post-poning the inevitable.
    - From the 2004 ALCS Game 4 Gamethread. A reminder that no game is over until the final out is recorded, and things will always get better. Misspellings unchanged as a reminder that Yankees fans are just terrible.

  13. #28
    Tony Clark is an imbecile. Thinks the players shouldn't take a pay cut for a shorter season. Fool doesn't understand basic economics.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

    "Relax kid, we've got 162 of these games to go."

    Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

  14. #29
    No-hitters are one of the most overrated events in sports - with one qualifier. Multiple no-hit games are impressive. Nolan Ryan had 7 of them, Koufax had 4. That's impressive.

    But one-off no-hitters don't mean much.

    Philip Humber pitched one of the 23 perfect games in MLB history back in 2012, in his second start of the season. Nice. Unfortunately in his next start he gave up 9 runs in 5 innings. He went on to finish the season with a 6.44 ERA. In 2013 he went 0-8 with a 7.90 ERA and that was it for him.

    The history of no-hitters by Red Sox pitchers says a lot:

    Clemens never had one.
    Pedro never had one.
    But Hideo Nomo had one.
    In 1992 Matt Young almost had one, throwing an 8-inning complete game giving up no hits, but 7 walks and a run and losing 1-0.

    (As hardcore Sox fans know, Derek Lowe, Clay Buchholz and Jon Lester each had one, and Varitek caught them all, plus the one by Nomo.)

    I'm just having fun with this, OK...

  15. #30
    One of the all-time classic no-hitters was the one tossed by Edwin Jackson for Arizona in 2010.

    Jackson gave up 8 walks in the game and had to throw 149 pitches. There was plenty of talk that maybe they shouldn't have let him throw so many pitches in spite of having a no-hitter going.

    Concerns about the number of pitches proved to be justified. In his next 5 starts, Jackson went 1-4 with a 7.24 ERA.

    Then Arizona traded him to the White Sox at the July 31 deadline.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •