Register now to remove this ad

Page 20 of 75 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Sox To Sign J.D. Martinez

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Especially after he didn't make it past April.

I think he had some decent value in the pen at the end of 2016. I wouldn't want him on my roster though.
    If he had been making $1M, I'd have not complained.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    If he had been making $1M, I'd have not complained.
    Not a $13M, definitely not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

So the deal in its entirety is interesting.

First 3 years at $23.75 mil.
    Last 2 yrs at $19.375 mil

Opt out after 2 seasons gives JD an extra $2.5 mil buyout. (Hence $50 mil over 2 seasons) Opt out after 3 seasons gives no other incentive.

So this is either....
    A 2 yr $50 mil deal
    A 3yr $71.75 mil deal or
    A 5yrs $110 mil deal

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    So the deal in its entirety is interesting.

First 3 years at $23.75 mil.
    Last 2 yrs at $19.375 mil

Opt out after 2 seasons gives JD an extra $2.5 mil buyout. (Hence $50 mil over 2 seasons) Opt out after 3 seasons gives no other incentive.

So this is either....
    A 2 yr $50 mil deal
    A 3yr $71.75 mil deal or
    A 5yrs $110 mil deal
    I would have signed on for any of those 3 options.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

It's a good deal for us...any of the 3.

Nonsense.

It can be a good deal or a bad deal.

You guys keep ignoring the possibility of him not performing well and deciding to stick around for 5 years.

Pete Abraham calls me a pessimist. Well, to only talk about the good that COULD come from this deal while ignoring the potential pratfalls of another big money long term contract is optimistic.

I am a realist.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

So this is either....
    A 2 yr $50 mil deal
    A 3yr $71.75 mil deal or
    A 5yrs $110 mil deal
    A 5 yr deal where he does jack shit

Sounds good to me!

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Ok I've been patient ....why no press conference yet WTH is taking so long ???? What a freaking train wreck...how freaking stupid not to fly him to Boston to begin with ...handled like absolute clowns .

Take a deep breath.

Relax.

All is good.

All-Star
    There are risks to all big contracts.
    As someone who reportedly works tirelessly at his craft he seems a reasonable bet to perform well for the life of the contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Natick to NC View Post
    Ok I've been patient ....why no press conference yet WTH is taking so long ???? What a freaking train wreck...how freaking stupid not to fly him to Boston to begin with ...handled like absolute clowns .
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Take a deep breath.

Relax.

All is good.

Well the delay could be as innocent as they say. Just an unfortunate set of logistics. Most of the time these things take 2-3 days at least to do but that is in the off-season. No one cares or even notices. Now, because Spring Training has already started, people get all nervous because he is not on the field immediately after the signing.

Or it could be because they found something undesirable in his blood and they are contemplating what they should do next.

I kind of like the soap opera qualities of this whole JD affair. It's so Red Sox and so Boston media.

Quote Originally Posted by Oscars View Post
    There are risks to all big contracts.
    As someone who reportedly works tirelessly at his craft he seems a reasonable bet to perform well for the life of the contract.
    Yeah if what Price has said of him is true, JD certainly has worked at becoming a better batter. A Lot.

My guess is he has two-three good years with the Sox.

J D Martinez is still not an official member of the Red Sox. The possibility still exists that he may not be signed because of medical concerns. Or, maybe they're finding something that will lead them to try to alter his contract like they did with Napoli.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    J D Martinez is still not an official member of the Red Sox. The possibility still exists that he may not be signed because of medical concerns. Or, maybe they're finding something that will lead them to try to alter his contract like they did with Napoli.
    Well the medical staff is in Boston, and Martinez has had a couple of major injuries in the past ... and this is a lot of money. If anything, I'd think there might be some extra haggling on injury clauses and such. But I don't think this deal is getting derailed.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post
    Well the medical staff is in Boston, and Martinez has had a couple of major injuries in the past ... and this is a lot of money. If anything, I'd think there might be some extra haggling on injury clauses and such. But I don't think this deal is getting derailed.
    Especially not since his only other interested suitor has since added two outfielders....