Register now to remove this ad

Page 23 of 75 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Sox To Sign J.D. Martinez

Ohhh ffS will they just get on with it ? Such Drama

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    True, you didn't bring cap space into it. But you suggested that a lot of teams may have 'shied away' from JDM because of health issues.

I think you know that likely had much less to do with it than the fact that most teams simply weren't interested in forking out $110 million for any player this offseason.

Possible reasons for that:

-Cap space
    -Legitimate lack of room in payroll budget
    -Willing to put a low budget crap team on the field to make profits
    -Tanking for high draft picks
    We can probably agree that many factors may have limited the active market for J.D. Martinez.

But the delay in the Martinez signing may highlight a health issue that was better known within the industry than in the general public.

Or not.

The Red Sox may have been more willing than many clubs to overlook a health issue because of the team's perceived need for a big bat. The 2017 drop in production following the departure of David Ortiz magnified that need.

Let's hope J.D. Martinez is healthy and productive.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    A larger fraction have budgets that acn in no way approach that limit...
    And yet the San Diego Padres, Kansas City Royals, Philadelphia Phillies, Milwaukee Brewers and Minnesota Twins are among the teams that reportedly are in the running to sign free agents projected to land nine-figure contracts (the Padres already signed a $144 million deal).
    Last edited by harmony; 02-25-2018 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    We can probably agree that many factors may have limited the active market for J.D. Martinez.

But the delay in the Martinez signing may highlight a health issue that was better known within the industry than in the general public.
    I have my doubts that other teams would know very much about whatever specific health issue the Red Sox are concerned with, unless perhaps it was another team that performed their own physical examination on him, like Arizona.

Obviously everybody, including us, knows about the actual injuries he's had and how many games he's missed.

He certainly seemed healthy in the latter part of last season, hitting 29 homers in 62 games with Arizona.

All-Star
    If he fails the medical, it will be mere minutes until the conspiracy theories about us 'knowing we wouldn't really sign him and did it just appease the fans' start pouring on to the comment sections of every forum and article relating to the Red Sox in North America.

Quite possibly started by Natic to NC.

All-Star
    Weird double post there...

Have a picture of a smilie smiling.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    And yet the San Diego Padres, Kansas City Royals, Philadelphia Phillies, Milwaukee Brewers and Minnesota Twins are among the teams that reportedly are in the running to sign free agents projected to land nine-figure contracts (the Padres already signed a $144 million deal).
    And I'm sure all of them are thinking "JD Martinez failed his physical with Boston. Let's go sign him! !!"

Latest on J.D. Martinez, Red Sox
    By Kyle Downing | February 25, 2018 at 10:50am CDT

SUNDAY: The two sides “have continued to work though contract language,” tweets Heyman, who notes that there’s a “high probability” they’ll complete the agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I have my doubts that other teams would know very much about whatever specific health issue the Red Sox are concerned with, unless perhaps it was another team that performed their own physical examination on him, like Arizona.

Obviously everybody, including us, knows about the actual injuries he's had and how many games he's missed.

He certainly seemed healthy in the latter part of last season, hitting 29 homers in 62 games with Arizona.
    Of course, injury history plays a role in the amount any team might offer a player.

I do not think his injury history was the reason the top spending teams avoided bidding on JD.

The two other biggest spenders, the Yanks and Dodgers, are looking to reset their tax rates.

The Cubs, Giants and others chose different spending routes. Was JD's injury history the reason they went another way? I doubt it. The Cards and CWS are in different spending modes right now. I think we'll find out the AZ offer was woefully short of what the Sox offered.

JD is not the only big FA looking at signing for much less than expected. There's still a lot of big names out here unsigned. Let's see what they sign for, and I think we'll see that injury history is not the driving force behind less bidding wars.

All-Star
    Speaking of spending and not spending, I can't believe that Morrison gets 6.5 mill for a lousy one year contract at age 30 after hitting 38 homers last year. That's what I call getting shafted. Well, I hope this JD contract gets done.

Quote Originally Posted by fxkatt View Post
    Speaking of spending and not spending, I can't believe that Morrison gets 6.5 mill for a lousy one year contract at age 30 after hitting 38 homers last year. That's what I call getting shafted. Well, I hope this JD contract gets done.
    Even $16.5M/2 is a steal. I was thinking he'd get $33-36M/3.

I said it the minute we signed Moreland: it was a big mistake.

Now, we're hearing HRam is going to be the FT 1Bman, so we're not even going to get much benefit from Moreland's 1Bman's glove.

SHAME!

Quote Originally Posted by fxkatt View Post
    I agree 100 percent ...I was thinking minimum for LOMO 3 at 39 ....If LOMO hits 32 out this year with decent D and decent average ???? I hope he cleans up for himself next winter ..I believe he's figured it out ...we will see soon .
    Last edited by Natick to NC; 02-25-2018 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Natick to NC View Post
    I agree 100 percent ...I was thinking minimum for LOMO 3 at 39 ....
    What if we could have gotten 3 from these guys: Morrison, Moustakas, Arrieta, Lynn, Cobb instead of JD & Moreland?

Quote Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
    If he fails the medical, it will be mere minutes until the conspiracy theories about us 'knowing we wouldn't really sign him and did it just appease the fans' start pouring on to the comment sections of every forum and article relating to the Red Sox in North America.

Quite possibly started by Natic to NC.
    Point taken ...they don't give two smelly socks about what we post ....but point taken .

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    What if we could have gotten 3 from these guys: Morrison, Moustakas, Arrieta, Lynn, Cobb instead of JD & Moreland?
    Hell moon give me Arrietta ,Cobb, and either LOMO or Moose ???? Yeah in a cocaine heartbeat .lol if that's what you meant ? If you are saying pick one at 3 years and 39 over JD contract ????? Thats tempting for Arietta and let's be honest if LOMO figured it out ??? Yes it's tempting .Yes I'd do it for them .Lomo is such a gamble though ....but aren't they all here ?
    Last edited by Natick to NC; 02-25-2018 at 03:00 PM.