Register now to remove this ad

Page 72 of 75 FirstFirst ... 22627071727374 ... LastLast
Results 1,066 to 1,080 of 1111

Thread: Red Sox To Sign J.D. Martinez

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    i get it. people that have guns...LOVE guns. they really do. they may even love their guns more than Slasher9 loves the Red Sox.
    but it is funny that they believe owning 15 rifles, 10 handguns, and a couple shotguns would be able to stop a government with tanks, fighter planes, smart bombs, blackhawks. and thats exactly what Mr. Martinez' tweet was saying. Sad!
    I know, right. When the Swat team pulls up in their bat-mobile and 15 Batmans jump out you’re fucked either way. But really, its still a tweet (which is the laziest form of free speech one can encounter & means next to nothing) from a 20 year old (which means even less).

Deity
    While people should be responsible for their tweets, that the media feels the need to incite this issue over tweets some of these players made in high school is the really annoying part.

I don't think I have condoned or agreed with any of the controversial sentiments any of the players have tweeted. But a lot of them grew up in an era where this type of communication is more mainstream as opposed to (what I would use Twitter for) a time for a more careful communication. And I'd be crazy naive to think that every player in MLB is a wholesome gentleman without any controversial thoughts in his head.

I used to say if I met most of the players on the Sox, I probably would not like a lot of them. It's probably still true...

Quote Originally Posted by Emp9 View Post
    I know, right. When the Swat team pulls up in their bat-mobile and 15 Batmans jump out you’re fucked either way. But really, its still a tweet (which is the laziest form of free speech one can encounter & means next to nothing) from a 20 year old (which means even less).
    haha. i just got a visual of the batmans leaping from the swatmobile.
    FWIW...he was 25 when he tweeted it.
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    While people should be responsible for their tweets, that the media feels the need to incite this issue over tweets some of these players made in high school is the really annoying part.

I don't think I have condoned or agreed with any of the controversial sentiments any of the players have tweeted. But a lot of them grew up in an era where this type of communication is more mainstream as opposed to (what I would use Twitter for) a time for a more careful communication. And I'd be crazy naive to think that every player in MLB is a wholesome gentleman without any controversial thoughts in his head.

I used to say if I met most of the players on the Sox, I probably would not like a lot of them. It's probably still true...
    With some experience over the years with pro athletes across various sports, your comment definitely applies to some of them. Inherently huge egos and entitlement developed over formative years of being applauded for athletic skills will warp these susceptible ones . Until the coming of college baseball players into the upper levels of the sport, there was no more ignorant a group of people than baseball players who barely finished high school.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    Don't mess with J.D. Martinez:

https://nypost.com/2018/08/27/red-so...gram-surfaces/

... at least with the 25-year-old J.D. Martinez.
    I just found the report mildly interesting.

J.D. Martinez may have been raised in a gun culture of Florida, which has seen its share of gun violence with the Orlando nightclub shootings, the Stoneman Douglas High School tragedy and the fatalities at the Jacksonville video game competition days after a fatal shooting at a high school football game in the same city. The mother of Seattle second baseman Dee Gordon was shot to death in Florida as the victim of domestic violence when Gordon was 6 years old.

Martinez and Mike Napoli are the most prominent baseball products of Charles Flanagan High School in Pembroke Pines, Florida. Flanagan and Stoneman Douglas are Miami area baseball powerhouses that played each other twice this year after the February shootings.

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools...l/schedule.htm

Deity

J.D. Martinez may have been raised in a gun culture of Florida, which has seen its share of gun violence with the Orlando nightclub shootings, the Stoneman Douglas High School tragedy and the fatalities at the Jacksonville video game competition days after a fatal shooting at a high school football game in the same city. The mother of Seattle second baseman Dee Gordon was shot to death in Florida as the victim of domestic violence when Gordon was 6 years old.

Martinez and Mike Napoli are the most prominent baseball products of Charles Flanagan High School in Pembroke Pines, Florida. Flanagan and Stoneman Douglas are Miami area baseball powerhouses that played each other twice this year after the February shootings.

And for the record, she was not shot by Dee's father, former Sox pitcher Tom Gordon...

Florida's "gun culture" has nothing on Chicago.
    “The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead.
    It's only difficult for other people.

It works the same way for stupid."

All-Star
    Don't mess with J.D. Martinez:

https://nypost.com/2018/08/27/red-so...gram-surfaces/

... at least with the 25-year-old J.D. Martinez.

So...what, are we supposed to be outraged by this or something?

I feel like we're quickly reaching the bottom of the barrel in the quest to unearth "offensive" tweets from years ago.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxnCycles View Post
    Florida's "gun culture" has nothing on Chicago.
    Actually, Chicago's gun culture is blown a little out of proportion.

https://www.thetrace.org/2018/04/hig...s-cities-list/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...-up/359395002/

st louis is surprising. not so much Baltimurder. makes me want to rewatch the wire.....
    other names i have posted under: none

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flap View Post
    So...what, are we supposed to be outraged by this or something?

I feel like we're quickly reaching the bottom of the barrel in the quest to unearth "offensive" tweets from years ago.
    I'll say it again - that post should not have been made here at all.

Deity
    st louis is surprising. not so much Baltimurder. makes me want to rewatch the wire.....
    Well, there isn't much else to do in St. Louis...

And J.D. Martinez's views on political issues mean nothing to me. I just love seeing him listed in our lineup. Nothing short of a video of him killing dogs and cats would change my opinion about him ... and it would have to be a recent video. LOL!!! Internet Trolls are bent on ruining and tearing down everything-- athletes are not exempt. Just ridiculous. This isn't news, and the hopefully, the media knows that we don't care.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

I was watching the Yankees play Baltimore recently and Camden Yards was empty. The weather was good and the Yankees are heading to the playoffs. Even in the Orioles' worst seasons, Camden would be full when a competitive Yankee or Red Sox team was in town. I used to make at least 1 trip there each season. The awful traffic had been the only negative, but after the horrific riots that spilled near the inner harbor trapping fans in the stadium, I would never go there again. I think many other Red Sox and Yankees fans feel the same way.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Deity
    And J.D. Martinez's views on political issues mean nothing to me. I just love seeing him listed in our lineup. Nothing short of a video of him killing dogs and cats would change my opinion about him ... and it would have to be a recent video. LOL!!! Internet Trolls are bent on ruining and tearing down everything-- athletes are not exempt. Just ridiculous. This isn't news, and the hopefully, the media knows that we don't care.
    It's like Curt Schilling. I don't agree with anything he has to say politically, but I will absolutely defend his rights to have those views.

I'm not even sure why this quote from Martinez is supposed to be offensive. Because he quoted Hitler? He didn't do it in a way that supported Hitler, but rather he posited Hitler as the opposing point of view (i.e. taking away guns.) Have we reached a point in our society that we can't even mention history's greatest villains as opposing viewpoints?

Also, I would not like JD if he killed a700's dogs and cats, unless a700 himself was using JD to perform so in a medical capacity. No video required. And I also would not like JDM if he opted out in two years and signed with the Yankees. But that goes without saying. I wouldn't like Mother Theresa if she was wearing pinstripes...