Register now to remove this ad

Page 39 of 75 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Sox To Sign J.D. Martinez

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I'm just saying, he's better served not playing aggressively in LF.
    Probably right but it would be one of the toughest things an athlete like him would have to figure out. My guess would be that once the season starts, he would have a hard time doing this if it was advised. Really the only way to keep him from possibly getting hurt in the field would obviously be to just dh him. I would be surprised if that happens though based on everything that we have read.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    He can just keep playing the Mike Greenwell defense: "I'll pick the ball up, when it stops rolling."

The Fenway wall is more about learning how the ball bounces off the wall rather than catching balls against it. He could just play a shallow LF and concede any catchable line drive off the lower wall.
    I dfon't think it's the rear wall that's an issue.
    It's the left side wall, 2 feet into foul territory, that's the widow-maker.
    “The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead.
    It's only difficult for other people.

It works the same way for stupid."

Quote Originally Posted by SoxnCycles View Post
    Yeah, I was going to mention that. That's where Swihart got injured. With Hanley, I'm not sure if it was the Monster or the side wall.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    If it's game 7, don't put him in LF.
    True, if it's in Fenway.

Good point. Maybe put an electric dog collar on him that zaps him when he gets within 5 feet of a wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Yeah, I was going to mention that. That's where Swihart got injured. With Hanley, I'm not sure if it was the Monster or the side wall.
    Looked it up, to be sure; "Ramirez, a career shortstop playing the outfield for the first time this season, was injured when he slammed into a padded grandstand wall in left while sprinting in pursuit of James Loney's line drive into the left-field corner in the first inning."
    “The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Good point. Maybe put an electric dog collar on him that zaps him when he gets within 5 feet of a wall.
    Now there's some added entertainment for the fans.
    Put them on all the players.

Looked it up, to be sure; "Ramirez, a career shortstop playing the outfield for the first time this season, was injured when he slammed into a padded grandstand wall in left while sprinting in pursuit of James Loney's line drive into the left-field corner in the first inning."
    Widow-maker it is!

You'd think for all the money invested in the players they could figure some way to make the walls a little less hazardous to the limbs...

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    You'd think for all the money invested in the players they could figure some way to make the walls a little less hazardous to the limbs...
    Yeah, there has to be something better than foam covered concrete.
    As old as Fenway is, they'd probably have to rip out and redesign half of the left field GS area.

Wondering if Dombrowski should have waited a few weeks and signed J.D. Martinez for "Moustakas money". After all, the Sox were the only suitor and could have probably gotten him for an AAV of 12 to 15 mil at this point.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbo-Diem View Post
    Wondering if Dombrowski should have waited a few weeks and signed J.D. Martinez for "Moustakas money". After all, the Sox were the only suitor and could have probably gotten him for an AAV of 12 to 15 mil at this point.
    Ummm no.

If Martinez -who didn't have draft pick compensation, unlike Moustakas - price fell thst low, other teams would enter the market.

Martinez' price was a big reason the Sox were the only suitor.

In terms of cost and length, Dombrowski did a good job on this deal and there's no reason to wish it was better. That would be like going up to Michelangelo in the Sistine chapel and saying "It's a good fresco, but I think you can do a better one. And do it by tomorrow morning. "
    Last edited by notin; 03-11-2018 at 10:54 AM.

This injury prone DH will thankfully be gone in two years after his agent once again fills his head with sugar plums and fairies. Hopefully some of that money can be applied to keeping Sale and Betts around long term.

Quote Originally Posted by Carbo-Diem View Post
    This injury prone DH will thankfully be gone in two years after his agent once again fills his head with sugar plums and fairies. Hopefully some of that money can be applied to keeping Sale and Betts around long term.
    In Luxury Tax Dollars...

Just 2 guaranteed Contract in 2020:

$31M Price (assuming no opt out)
    $13.75M Pedey

Arbs:
    Betts 3 of 3
    JBJ 4 of 4
    ERod 3 of 4
    Carson 3 of 3
    Vaz 3 of 3
    Wright 3 of 3
    Workman 3 of 3
    Barnes 2 of 3
    Swihart 2 of 4
    Leon 4 of 4
    Hembree 2 of 3
    Beni 1 of 3
    Scott 1 of 3
    Elias 2 of 3

Must replace:
    JDM
    Porcello
    Kimbrel
    Sale
    Pom
    Nunez
    Moreland
    ERod
    Thornburg
    Holt
    HRam

Last edited by moonslav59; 06-23-2018 at 09:25 AM.

JDM has been unbelievable. So consistent, so much power. The power to the opposite field is of course especially impressive.

He also seems like a good guy and a true professional. There's no poser in him.

Any way they can put that first opt-out in the shredder?