Register now to remove this ad

Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Yanks v Sox, rivalry renewed

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    The AL East is back to being the toughest division in MLB... IMO.
    Agreed. That's not the same as saying an AL East team is favored to get to the World Series.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    The sox advantage is that their starting pitching, if it reaches its potential, could be scary. Sale and vintage Price would be sick. The question is whether vintage Price still exists
    It will all depend on how healthy our rotation can stay. If healthy, look out.

Walker really adds to this lineup. Torres might end up better, but Walker has been a steady force offensively for his whole career. He’s a high OBP guy capable of swatting 20HRs and play reasonable defense at a premium position. Walker should outperform Nunez offensively

Walker really adds to this lineup. Torres might end up better, but Walker has been a steady force offensively for his whole career. He’s a high OBP guy capable of swatting 20HRs and play reasonable defense at a premium position. Walker should outperform Nunez offensively
    Your offense looks sick, no question. I think our main hope for finishing ahead of you guys is that your rotation underperforms.

The Yankees lineup is stacked no doubt, but if the Sox lineup rebounds and guys and JDM has an effect in the middle guy like Bogaerts, Betts, Benintendi, JBJ, and Devers could potentially help us rival that with depth 1-9 no easy outs.

The Yankees have a ton of talent in their rotation but a 37-year-old Sabathia has one wondering who the innings eater is on this team??? Everyone seems too young or too inconsistent to instill confidence in a healthy rotation going forward. Their bullpen should mititage this a bunch though.

If the Yankees rotation stays healthy, and the Sox lineup rebounds, I think it's 2003 all over again with two 100 win teams in the east. Bank it.

Provided good health on both sides, there is really no question who will be better. Even if Betts rebounds and Bogaerts finds it, etc, the ceilings on the Yanks side are just better and the floors are higher.

The innings eaters on the team are going to be spread out. With Gray in the fold, the Yanks return 5 starters who each reached 148IP or more. Sevy led the group with 193 and that is only because they skipped him a few times. He was on pace for 210-220 prior to their maintenance plan. I also think a healthy Gray is a horse. He was 200IP plus for 2 seasons before breaking down in 2016 which had a carryover effect into the beginning of 2017. Once he returned full force, he didn't miss a beat. I think he is going to be a good bet for 200IP in 2018. The other thing NY finished with was health, which the sox did not. Price was injured and ERod had surgery as did Wright. Now Pom is down with an injury. Right now, the Yanks depth and health has to be taken into account when comparing the two. Also, assuming a need to reach into the depth, I doubt anyone would consider the sox to have near the depth of the Yankees. The Yanks are going to have 5 starters with big league stuff who are ready at AAA. German, Cessa, Sheffield, Acevedo and Adams. All 5 will be big league starters in their careers, they just happened to be buried in this depth. Consider the Yankees dealt off what would have been the 6th starter down there (Mitchell) and got the Padres to eat $13 mil to do it. The arm machine is ridiculous
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Your offense looks sick, no question. I think our main hope for finishing ahead of you guys is that your rotation underperforms.
    At the end the difference will be in the rotation, if Price performs as his former self you are the winners no question, but I have the feeling that Cashman is lining up the pieces for a big trade in the summer. I'd love to get MadBum, doubt it but if the Giants tank we have the pieces to pull a blockbuster.

We not only have the pieces, we have the redundancy. Outside of the catchers position, we have prospect after prospect who can cover all spots on the diamond and all parts of a pitching staff. We can deal from any of those areas if we need to
    Hal sucks

The Yanks are going to have 5 starters with big league stuff who are ready at AAA. German, Cessa, Sheffield, Acevedo and Adams. All 5 will be big league starters in their careers, they just happened to be buried in this depth.
    They still have to prove it. Cessa, for one, hasn't put up good numbers at the big league level so far.

I think Cessa ends up a high leverage reliever. He has a deep repertoire, but he loses command at times and becomes a Juggs machine. When he was coming out of the pen, he was throwing 100mph with a sick breaking ball. They will likely keep him stretched out as he is on the 40 man and see what he can do as their 6th starter out of the gate.
    Hal sucks

I think Cessa ends up a high leverage reliever. He has a deep repertoire, but he loses command at times and becomes a Juggs machine. When he was coming out of the pen, he was throwing 100mph with a sick breaking ball. They will likely keep him stretched out as he is on the 40 man and see what he can do as their 6th starter out of the gate.
    I have the feeling Cessa is a minor tweak away to become a very good ML pitcher, top 90's FB and a plus curve. I really think he will end up in the rotation probably this year.

I also think he will be a very good big league pitcher, I just see it out of the pen. His 4 seamer is flat and he cannot seem to locate his 2 seamer, so when he needs to go through a lineup a few times, he gets burned. In short spurts, the 4 seamer is 100mph and the 2 seamer high 90s. Very difficult for the batter to center and the curve can be really good. Rather than tweak him for 7 innings a game, having him drop his change and focus on FB-curve for 3 hitters would make him really good. I have him on my Chad Green watch for this year. I think the kid could be that kind of reliever
    Hal sucks

I also think he will be a very good big league pitcher, I just see it out of the pen. His 4 seamer is flat and he cannot seem to locate his 2 seamer, so when he needs to go through a lineup a few times, he gets burned. In short spurts, the 4 seamer is 100mph and the 2 seamer high 90s. Very difficult for the batter to center and the curve can be really good. Rather than tweak him for 7 innings a game, having him drop his change and focus on FB-curve for 3 hitters would make him really good. I have him on my Chad Green watch for this year. I think the kid could be that kind of reliever
    I have no doubt he can become a very good RP (Green style) but still need to push him for the SP role really need a top flight pitcher in the rotation.

Walker is a good pick up for the Yankees. While it may have worked out, relying on a rookie to fill a key position is risky. Walker gives the kids some more time.

The Yankees offense is crazy good.

That said, the Sox offense is pretty darn good in its own right.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I ain't afraid of the Yankees.

Normally I'd say yes but Nunez at Fenway is magic with his swing my bet push with comparison of the two ...hell of a pickup for you folks and always thought he was underrated.