Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 400 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: A Realistic View at 2018: Part II

I know this thread is about 2018, but looking forward: maybe Poynder or Maddox can fill in as a top set-up man once we promote Smith or Thornburg to closer after Kimbrel's probable departure.

Replacing Pom and Porcello with $28M between their contracts will not be easy. Can we still win without all 3? Of course we can, Is it probable we will be as good? I'd say, "no."

If Poyner has a few rough starts, how soon until people are comparing him to Cla Meredith? https://www.fangraphs.com/statsd.asp...e=&season=2005

Legend
    For me hard to compare LHP to RHP. His Minor stats pretty impressive. 84 K's in 60 innings last year. Figure might struggle a bit, hell of a jump. Just have patience.
    Last edited by OH FOY!; 03-26-2018 at 10:34 AM.

The good thing is, we have pretty good minor league pen depth and a few guys coming off the DL soon.

MLBTR....

By Connor Byrne | March 26, 2018 at 9:56am CDT

The Red Sox made an attempt to extend franchise cornerstone Mookie Betts during the offseason, but the right fielder isn’t interested in signing a long-term deal at this point, Rob Bradford of WEEI reports. Betts revealed to Bradford that he discussed the extension process with teammates who have signed them, saying: “I talked to some people about it, how the process went. But I didn’t really ask details about what they got or what was offered. It was more just about how the process went. It can be a tough process. You’re dealing with a lot of money.” Betts will make a lot of money in 2018 even without a new deal – $10.5MM after a resounding victory over Boston in arbitration – and will be under team control through at least 2020. The 25-year-old’s current salary is the second-highest award ever given to a first-time arb-eligible player, and Betts should rack up a couple more significant paydays via that route if he continues without an extension.

@SoxProspects

Marcus Walden and Bobby Poyner, the two big surprises on the opening day roster, were named Pitcher of the Year for the @PawSox and @PortlandSeaDogs, respectively, in 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    @SoxProspects

Marcus Walden and Bobby Poyner, the two big surprises on the opening day roster, were named Pitcher of the Year for the @PawSox and @PortlandSeaDogs, respectively, in 2017.
    I guess those awards actually mean something!

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Do we really want to be the biggest spenders in MLB for 3-4 years in a row, some by a wide margin?

I remember hating the Yanks for "buying championships."
    Bingo!

Aside from hating the Yankees for 'buying championships', it's just not a very good way to run a business.

Farm system. It's all about having a strong farm system.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I'd rather have Betts than Harper.
    Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Bingo!

Aside from hating the Yankees for 'buying championships', it's just not a very good way to run a business.

Farm system. It's all about having a strong farm system.
    Even teams like the Dodgers and Yankess have seen that the current system all but demands a re-set every 3 years, at most, especially if you are over the $40M threshhold.

3 years for us is after the 2020 season. (Even after year two years seems more prudent, but that would all but slam the window shut after 2019.)

Deity
    Now, I'm confused. I thought you wanted us to stay near or over by $40M plus, when you said, "Starters will require real money but it's doable."

If we want to keep the window open, we will become the Yankees we hated for decades.

If we don't keep spending $4)M or more over the limit beyond 2019, we will see a steep decline in competitiveness, IMO.

I'd love to see us stay competitive forever, and that's why I prefer a more balanced approach, but we're at where we are now, and our options are limited.

I don't think Henry will be the biggest spender for more than 3 years. That's why I'm a "cliff dweller". I wouldn't mind seeing him spend and spend, but I'd feel like a hypocrite, if I didn't point out the paradox us Sox fans might face.
    This is kind of a tough post for me because I know that some will disagree pointedly and I will probably question to myself of course if they are actually being honest or taking the high road and trying make themselves sound good. When King George started to do his thing, the game changed. My Red Spx friends as well as myself were very upset with what he did. After I while, even though we hated the change we were seeing, it became fairly apparent that our anger had as much to do with jealousy as anything else. You are right about one thing Moon, I will not be a hypocrite when it comes to this one. This is as much new school as anything I have seen in ml baseball. Big market teams with a lot of money to spend who continually make money while spending do in fact buy wins. I am a Red Sox fan and I want them to be competitive every year which I think they will be. It is why I absolutely do not buy into this cliff theory that many here are trying to sell. As long as John Henry owns this team, I doubt that we ever stumble over any cliff. Call me old school for sure because I truly do miss the old days when teams grew their own for the most part and brains in my estimation played a greater role in overall team development. I also loved the fact that in many instances players spent their careers playing for one team and loyalty was earned and respected. Sadly I don't see us going back and I am not angered by any team's moves anymore nor am I jealous of them. I believe that we are at the top of the food chain and I am ok with that. Now understand that this is just my idea of a rant and it is just a silly opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    This is kind of a tough post for me because I know that some will disagree pointedly and I will probably question to myself of course if they are actually being honest or taking the high road and trying make themselves sound good. When King George started to do his thing, the game changed. My Red Spx friends as well as myself were very upset with what he did. After I while, even though we hated the change we were seeing, it became fairly apparent that our anger had as much to do with jealousy as anything else. You are right about one thing Moon, I will not be a hypocrite when it comes to this one. This is as much new school as anything I have seen in ml baseball. Big market teams with a lot of money to spend who continually make money while spending do in fact buy wins. I am a Red Sox fan and I want them to be competitive every year which I think they will be. It is why I absolutely do not buy into this cliff theory that many here are trying to sell. As long as John Henry owns this team, I doubt that we ever stumble over any cliff. Call me old school for sure because I truly do miss the old days when teams grew their own for the most part and brains in my estimation played a greater role in overall team development. I also loved the fact that in many instances players spent their careers playing for one team and loyalty was earned and respected. Sadly I don't see us going back and I am not angered by any team's moves anymore nor am I jealous of them. I believe that we are at the top of the food chain and I am ok with that. Now understand that this is just my idea of a rant and it is just a silly opinion.
    You make total sense, and yes part of those feelings from the past were likely based in jealousy, but I do think I'm not alone in thinking there is more joy in winning a ring without outspending the next team by $20M+.

I just don't want us to become the team every other fan hates, because we keep buying our way to the top.

I don't mind us becoming extra big spenders, and we've been big spenders for a long time, I'm just hoping we can find a way to stay competitive without having to be a top 3 spender for the next decade.

Deity
    I don't disagree with you here at all.

You make total sense, and yes part of those feelings from the past were likely based in jealousy, but I do think I'm not alone in thinking there is more joy in winning a ring without outspending the next team by $20M+.

I just don't want us to become the team every other fan hates, because we keep buying our way to the top.

I don't mind us becoming extra big spenders, and we've been big spenders for a long time, I'm just hoping we can find a way to stay competitive without having to be a top 3 spender for the next decade.
    Here's the conundrum, though. If you're the #3 team in revenue, but the #7 or 8 team in spending, say, doesn't that mean the owner is profiting at the expense of the fans?

With cap penalties as they are, the current model doesn’t allow for ridiculous over expenditures. You guys cannot keep up this level of spending, so your touchy feely side can align its chakras within the next few seasons. In the end, nobody gives a shit about what you spend, only about who holds the trophy