Register now to remove this ad

Page 173 of 400 FirstFirst ... 73123163171172173174175183223273 ... LastLast
Results 2,581 to 2,595 of 5994

Thread: A Realistic View at 2018: Part II

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    I knew you were going to say something like that after today's game.
    I've been waiting far too long to be able to say it.

I hope it's not just a tease.

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    For the last two games his fastball has reached 100 mph. His pitches overall tend to be anywhere from 80 to 100. Throws his slider at the speed he wants. I'm not sure I understand the part about ramping up slowly though. He is certainly throwing the ball harder than we have seen him throw that is for sure. Someone suggested a few days ago on a thread here that if the playoffs started today that they might start E-Rod over Chris Sale. Anyone remember that? I'm fairly sure that it was a statistically based assumption due to the fact that in games started E-Rod has a better record and that the team tends to support him with more runs. Personally, I consider that a ridiculous assumption. Chris Sale is an ace, a true gamer. Your ace gets the ball as often and when he wants it as long as he stays healthy. I realize that some here think that his body is not built for the long haul. My retort to that is that we are all built differently and when was the last time Chris Sale was injured. Talk to him yes of course so that you know when and if he needs breaks. He is a professional and I think he knows what he can and cannot do. Red Sox fans I think just need to sit back and enjoy what we have in one of the best pitchers in the game today. Now since I am being realistic, we also have 2 of the very best hitters in the game playing for us in JD and Mookie. Enjoy them while we have them.
    Not just for Sale but for all starters. Early conversation was not to push/over work them during Spring Training. That is what I meant.

Sale is still much better pitcher than E Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    We are now 13-2 in ERod starts. We were bound to lose one more eventually.

Let's get 'em today!

From Red Sox Stats about last night's game:

The Sox were 1 for 7 with a single on hard hit balls tonight, the Mariners were 7 for 17 on weak hit balls. One of those nights.

Baseball is indeed a funny game.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    That we did and we finally supported Sale. Best of all JBJ had 3 hits and it looked like he had his swing more under control. Lets hope this is the start of a more effective offensive showing from him. We don't need much offense from him, just not an automatic out.
    JBJ has been hitting the ball hard for a while now with nothing to show for it before today.

I think good things are coming for him offensively.

Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    That was a safe prediction because it's true. JBJ's been hitting the ball well lately anyway. Kimmie pointed out that .079 BAPIP of JBJ's a couple of days ago. It's just that today the balls weren't hit right at someone.

Sometimes all you need is one break to turn things around. The liner of the 1B glove early in the game may have been that break.
    Not only his BABIP, but he leads MLB in hard hit balls rate for the month of June:

Hard Hit Rate in June
    1 66.7% Jackie Bradley
    2 65.9% Christian Yelich
    3 62.0% Justin Upton
    5 60.0% Aaron Judge

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Not only his BABIP, but he leads MLB in hard hit balls rate for the month of June:

Hard Hit Rate in June
    1 66.7% Jackie Bradley
    2 65.9% Christian Yelich
    3 62.0% Justin Upton
    5 60.0% Aaron Judge
    From the other view....

Last 30 days

161 players with 90+ PAs/Lowest Soft Hit%
    1. Freeman 3.7%
    3. Trout 5.6%
    4. Seager 6.3%
    6. Moncada 7.3%
    9. Votto 7.9%

16. JBJ 9.8% (Lowest on the Sox)
    35. JMart 12%
    70. Beni 15.4%
    88. Moreland 16.7%
    89. Bogey16.9%

That was a safe prediction because it's true. JBJ's been hitting the ball well lately anyway. Kimmie pointed out that .079 BAPIP of JBJ's a couple of days ago. It's just that today the balls weren't hit right at someone.

Sometimes all you need is one break to turn things around. The liner of the 1B glove early in the game may have been that break.
    I've been watching a lot of his AB's lately and he's had just horrendous luck. He's been hitting the ball very hard, but every time he either gets robbed, or at its right at someone. I'm still confident in JBJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonbay44 View Post
    I've been watching a lot of his AB's lately and he's had just horrendous luck. He's been hitting the ball very hard, but every time he either gets robbed, or at its right at someone. I'm still confident in JBJ.
    I am confident that he will not finish the season hitting .178, but he is still going to stink.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

It would be nice to have a right handed hitting outfielder that mashes lefties, but not if it means Bradley is not on the team.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Not just for Sale but for all starters. Early conversation was not to push/over work them during Spring Training. That is what I meant.

Sale is still much better pitcher than E Rod.
    Of course he's better--miles better. The biggest difference to me is attitude--not just in the games but in preparing to pitch throughout the season and throughout the year. I think deep down ERod is lazy. He actually has a pretty good repertoire and, when it's right, the best changeup on the team. But he doesn't seem to bring the same pitches to every game, he seems to be gaining weight, he's lazy about covering 1B, etc, etc.

JBJ's hits were all line drives.

I'm hoping this is the start of the long awaited hot streak, and that maybe he turns it into a longer one than he's ever had.
    he's been hitting the ball very hard for awhile now. unfortunately they have been outs for the most part. his babip is crazy low for the exit velo.
    other names i have posted under: none

thats a BINGO
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    It would be nice to have a right handed hitting outfielder that mashes lefties, but not if it means Bradley is not on the team.
    Good post Larry.

Legend
    Angels have to go to KC today for a make-up game. Good thing about this is Tyler Skaggs is Pitching tonight, we miss him.

From the other view....

Last 30 days

161 players with 90+ PAs/Lowest Soft Hit%
    1. Freeman 3.7%
    3. Trout 5.6%
    4. Seager 6.3%
    6. Moncada 7.3%
    9. Votto 7.9%

16. JBJ 9.8% (Lowest on the Sox)
    35. JMart 12%
    70. Beni 15.4%
    88. Moreland 16.7%
    89. Bogey16.9%

Good stuff. So JBJ has the highest hard hit rate and one of the lowest soft hit rates in baseball, along with the unsustainable BABIP.

Something has to give soon.