Register now to remove this ad

Page 213 of 400 FirstFirst ... 113163203211212213214215223263313 ... LastLast
Results 3,181 to 3,195 of 5994

Thread: A Realistic View at 2018: Part II

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    7. Extra motivation after a disappointing year? I think this might also be a thing. I read an article about Bogaerts working extra hard this offseason to add some muscle.
    Holt did, too.

Good news. The Red Sox are willing to go past the highest luxury tax threshold.
    https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/...-rotation.html

John Henry has so much money -- why not? And losing 10 spots in the draft isn't a big deal. In many cases, the players available at 33 are the same players (in terms of talent and upside) who are available at 43.

True, this would reduce the Red Sox's draft budget, but they have to go all in this year. At the end of the day, with a draft budget reduction of around $400,000, we are talking about maybe one fewer hard-to-sign draftee in the Red Sox system. In many cases, that $400,000 is wasted anyway on players who never develop.
    Last edited by Fan_since_Boggs; 07-18-2018 at 12:39 AM.

Oh good. I’ll simply just pretend we drafted a pitcher at 33 that never developed. Keep with tradition.

For the 2nd year in a row a deep starting rotation has been hurt badly by injury. Never did I imagine they would have to be considering trading prospects from a depleted farm system for a starter. I sure hope they don't do that, they already need to spend prospects on a set up man.

Johnson's doing fine. We have Velazquez ready when needed, and Wright should be back soon.

I'd wait until nearer the deadline to see how things are looking. (There's also waiver wire deals, if needed.)

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Johnson's doing fine. We have Velazquez ready when needed, and Wright should be back soon.

I'd wait until nearer the deadline to see how things are looking. (There's also waiver wire deals, if needed.)
    Our need for another SP entirely depends on how ERod is doing, and last I heard it wasn't encouraging news from Cora. I would not be depending on Johnson and Velasquez to lead us to an ALE title.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by FredLynn View Post
    Our need for another SP entirely depends on how ERod is doing, and last I heard it wasn't encouraging news from Cora. I would not be depending on Johnson and Velasquez to lead us to an ALE title.
    Or Beeks.

I could see a deal for James Shields happening this month...

We should all remember this in March of 2019 if our pitching staff looks to be nine deep. Shit happens, and it happens frequently. Especially to pitchers, it seems.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by FredLynn View Post
    I'm not. I'm depending on them holding the fort until Wright, Pom and ERod return.

If it looks like 2 or those 3 will not return, then I go looking. I'm not sure we know enough now to do that.

We have limited trade resources. If we can find a starter for cheap, I'm all for it, but good ones aren't cheap.

I still think building the pen is our number one priority.

Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    We should all remember this in March of 2019 if our pitching staff looks to be nine deep. Shit happens, and it happens frequently. Especially to pitchers, it seems.
    I'm thinking we're looking pretty good this year, despite the injuries. I think we have handled them nicely. Wright should be close to ready to step in for ERod.

We started this year with 9.

Sale
    Porcello
    Price
    ERod
    Pom

Wright
    Johnson
    Velazquez
    Haley (Beeks passed him during the season)

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    I preached that all February and March. It only matters if Dombrowski listens, not you people. (Many of whom told me to please stop, only less politely. And to be fair, it's not like any of you could do anything about it.)...

Legend
    64 games left 33 games are with teams over .500 at this point.
    Last part of season should get interesting.
    Last edited by OH FOY!; 07-18-2018 at 09:17 AM.

As I have said before, I would not go over the luxury tax limit for what will likely be only a marginal upgrade.

Our team, even with the pitching injuries, is fine. More than fine, they're pretty doggone good!

There's a good chance that Dombrowski will come up with something creative that none of us have thought of.

There's a good chance that he will just add a strong pen arm.

I'm good with that.

I'm not. I'm depending on them holding the fort until Wright, Pom and ERod return.

If it looks like 2 or those 3 will not return, then I go looking. I'm not sure we know enough now to do that.

We have limited trade resources. If we can find a starter for cheap, I'm all for it, but good ones aren't cheap.

I still think building the pen is our number one priority.
    Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I preached that all February and March. It only matters if Dombrowski listens, not you people. (Many of whom told me to please stop, only less politely. And to be fair, it's not like any of you could do anything about it.)...
    The old adage about never having enough pitching is the absolute truth. My thinking is that you always stockpile as many arms as you reasonably can, even if it doesn't seem like they'll be needed or that they'll make any positive contribution to the team. You just never know. And really, what's the harm in doing that?