Register now to remove this ad

Page 118 of 400 FirstFirst ... 1868108116117118119120128168218 ... LastLast
Results 1,756 to 1,770 of 5994

Thread: A Realistic View at 2018: Part II

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Me, too.

I'm very happy with Cora.

Maybe JBJ's hit today will be the start of something good.
    Ever the optimist

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Cora said something today about how he's not going to give up on his slumping players on May 20. He realizes that it's still a small sample size. I have confidence in Cora to handle the players' playing time correctly.
    We have a slumping player batting third in the order. He is 35 years old and by all means a good clubhouse presence. What I have noticed is that he is having more trouble getting around on the fastball these days. Cora can stay with him but maybe a better choice is to give him additional rest with Moreland playing well. If he is n the decline due to his age, regular extra rest may be what is needed to get him back to being a solid contributor when he does play.

What a strange season. We have a few players playing out of this world and carrying the team offensively and we have half the lineup either in a slump or having disappointing, in some cases disastrous, seasons. They need more balance, they need the last 4 spots to play up to expectations or this will start to fall apart because obviously Mookie and JD can't keep this pace up forever.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    Ever the optimist
    JBJ has almost always had a hot streak or tow that brings his season OPS to a respectable level. I see no reason to not expect it to happen again.

Of course, it may not, but the odds favor it happening vs it not happening.

Those who believe he will end up being below .600 on the season are being pessimists.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaz Fan Since '67 View Post
    What a strange season. We have a few players playing out of this world and carrying the team offensively and we have half the lineup either in a slump or having disappointing, in some cases disastrous, seasons. They need more balance, they need the last 4 spots to play up to expectations or this will start to fall apart because obviously Mookie and JD can't keep this pace up forever.
    I think if you look at most seasons, you'll find a couple players carrying their team from month to month- not always the same two either.

I'm not sure why this season seems so different. Did anyone really expect every player to meet expectations over the first quarter of the season?

Yes, it seems a bit shocking that 2-3 players are way below expectations (JBJ, Vaz and Leon or Nunez), but with all of these guys, it's not really all that surprising.

I'm not really surprised by Betts or JD either. I know some posters were suggesting maybe 2016 was the best Betts would ever give us, but the kid hasn't even reached prime yet. I always felt we might see better or even much better.

Things will even out a little as the season goes on. Some different players will carry us for a while as HRam and Bogey did early on.

And, BTW, yes Betts and JD can come pretty close to keeping up this pace forever. They are really that good!

Will they? Who knows, but I do think someone else will take up the slack, if they decline.

I see it more optimistically. 32-15 is not strange, 32-15 is great. It indicates a lot of all-around strength.

There are some guys who need to get it going a bit, we know that.

But look at the box score from yesterday's game. Every single guy in the lineup reached base by hit or walk.

Legend
    They play 51 games with 4 days off till All-Star break after today. This is a tough stretch of playing a lot of games with little time off till All-Star break. This is when injuries hurt. This is good time to see how Cora Manages the team, for days off for rest, and the Bullpen. Not to overwork them.
    Pedey coming back will help a lot.
    Last edited by OH FOY!; 05-21-2018 at 09:19 AM.

Deity
    Meh. I see six good bats--Betts, Beni, Hanley, JD, Bogie, Devers, and Moreland--with just Hanley and Devers a little below where they should be and will be. The bottom third is a problem, but Pedey will help and Vazquez/Leon won't stay this bad. Heck, JBJ might even turn things around--a long shot, but possible.

And don't forget that pitching. I've griped about the rotation, but right now ERod, Porcello, Sale, and Price have all just had good starts if not "quality" starts (6 innings, 3 runs). Only Porcello worries me now. And the bullpen is looking better.

Deity
    JBJ has almost always had a hot streak or tow that brings his season OPS to a respectable level. I see no reason to not expect it to happen again.

Of course, it may not, but the odds favor it happening vs it not happening.

Those who believe he will end up being below .600 on the season are being pessimists.
    Then I'm a pessimist. But of course I always have been although right now I am not pessimistic about the team as a whole. But give me time. The best case for JBJ is that Cora appears to think what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Meh. I see six good bats--Betts, Beni, Hanley, JD, Bogie, Devers, and Moreland--with just Hanley and Devers a little below where they should be and will be. The bottom third is a problem, but Pedey will help and Vazquez/Leon won't stay this bad. Heck, JBJ might even turn things around--a long shot, but possible.

And don't forget that pitching. I've griped about the rotation, but right now ERod, Porcello, Sale, and Price have all just had good starts if not "quality" starts (6 innings, 3 runs). Only Porcello worries me now. And the bullpen is looking better.
    If Vaz/Leon start to hit and Pedey takes over 2b full time, I think the hand-wringing about JBJ goes away.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Then I'm a pessimist. But of course I always have been although right now I am not pessimistic about the team as a whole. But give me time. The best case for JBJ is that Cora appears to think what you think.
    JBJ looks bad right now, but he looked bad all the other years during his cold streaks.

What makes this year feel different?

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    If Vaz/Leon start to hit and Pedey takes over 2b full time, I think the hand-wringing about JBJ goes away.
    If everyone else on the team was hitting over .300, and JBJ was hitting .175, there would still be piles of posts about what to do with JBJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    If everyone else on the team was hitting over .300, and JBJ was hitting .175, there would still be piles of posts about what to do with JBJ.
    I think the pile would be a little shorter.

JBJ looks bad right now, but he looked bad all the other years during his cold streaks.

What makes this year feel different?
    I think him being overmatched by 90mph heaters in the middle of the zone has people a little worried.

Not worried about Jackie at all. He's steaky, we all get that. If he's regressed, he's still a rock solid 4th OF and we can assemble a hell of an outfield without him. I don't see any reason to be all that alarmed.

Personally I think he catches fire in June and July and carries the team for a month and a half like he does every year, and the skeptics get to spend the middle of the season eating their words before the annual September slump
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.