Register now to remove this ad

Page 162 of 400 FirstFirst ... 62112152160161162163164172212262 ... LastLast
Results 2,416 to 2,430 of 5994

Thread: A Realistic View at 2018: Part II

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Do you disagree that Devers was called up before he was ready?
    Defense-wise, yes. Offense-wise, no.

All-Star
    The Sox are 14-1 in Christian Vazquez' last 15 starts.
    Our two catchers are solid; and they have been so for some time. Even if they each end up hitting around .200, that's fine.

As we look forward, do we have a bullpen that we can count on to get us critical outs at critical moments of games, or is the 7 to 6 loss to Seattle the true face of our bullpen?

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    If you look up errors by 3rd basemen in a season, I believe Brooks made 3 in an entire season and several others were in the low single digits. Devers has been making far to many errors for a ML starter and many of them are the result of his carelessness. I hope he improves but may wind up at 1st base for the Sox in future years if he doesn't make marked improvement defensivel
    That’s why I said I am in no way comparing them. Somebody said Devers had a rough day defensively; all I was pointing out is even the best have tough days once in a while. I think Devers can be a serviceable third baseman but that probably will be his ceiling.
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough

Do you disagree that Devers was called up before he was ready?
    he was/is ready
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Devers IS getting better defensively. That should be obvious to anyone watching him closely.

He just has not gotten better enough, quickly enough, to suit some.

Yawn.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

I've been one of Devers defense harshest critics. I'm happy with his growth on D. He still has a way to go, but he's done better than I expected.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    If you look up errors by 3rd basemen in a season, I believe Brooks made 3 in an entire season and several others were in the low single digits. Devers has been making far to many errors for a ML starter and many of them are the result of his carelessness. I hope he improves but may wind up at 1st base for the Sox in future years if he doesn't make marked improvement defensivel
    Meh. So far, June 18, the Sox have the 4th lowest ERA in MLB and, better still, the fewest unearned runs in MLB--12. That's 12 unearned runs out of 263 runs total. it's also 12 unearned runs in 73 games played. I have not yet examined whether any of those unearned runs affected a gameout come or whether any of Devers's errors affected a game outcome.

So it seems to me that Devers isn't hurting the team as much as you want us to believe. This might also explain why Cora keeps playing him.

Plus I personally do see improvement. Also, there are several on talksox, moonslav among them, who say errors are not the best measure for overall fielding.
    Last edited by Maxbialystock; 06-18-2018 at 04:24 PM.

I'm not worried about Devers. He simply needs to play.

I'm more concerned with injury/ineffectivenss of Pom, JBJ offensively, Pedey getting 100% and Thornburg finally making contribution for the Sox.

Of all the problems, Devers is not a concern. He needs to be given opportunity to play. He's 21. What are we going to do? Invest money in some has been? Or block Devers completely? Playing in AAA does Devers absolutely NOTHING.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post

I'm more concerned with injury/ineffectivenss of Pom, JBJ offensively, Pedey getting 100% and Thornburg finally making contribution for the Sox.

Of all the problems, Devers is not a concern. He needs to be given opportunity to play. He's 21. What are we going to do? Invest money in some has been? Or block Devers completely? Playing in AAA does Devers absolutely NOTHING.
    All correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Emp9 View Post
    Defense-wise, yes. Offense-wise, no.
    That is my opinion as well.

Quote Originally Posted by fxkatt View Post
    Our two catchers are solid; and they have been so for some time. Even if they each end up hitting around .200, that's fine.
    I have absolutely no problems with our two catchers.

Deity
    Agree with Nick and Bellhorn4. Devers needs to stay in Boston and 3B is a good spot for him because we have Moreland for 1b.

However, I'm not at all worried about Pom's health because I don't want him back in the rotation--at least, not until he develops a usable changeup. JBJ hitting is indeed a concern. Thornburg at this point is a big "meh" in my book. Pedey could really help--I still believe in him--but I honestly don't see him coming back this year. He missed, what, two full months after the entire offseason to recover, and could only play 2 games?

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Meh. So far, June 18, the Sox have the 4th lowest ERA in MLB and, better still, the fewest unearned runs in MLB--12. That's 12 unearned runs out of 263 runs total. it's also 12 unearned runs in 73 games played. I have not yet examined whether any of those unearned runs affected a gameout come or whether any of Devers's errors affected a game outcome.

So it seems to me that Devers isn't hurting the team as much as you want us to believe. This might also explain why Cora keeps playing him.

Plus I personally do see improvement. Also, there are several on talksox, moonslav among them, who say errors are not the best measure for overall fielding.
    Just because Errors or ER are never charge it doesn't mean it hasn't hurt the team. There are so many hits that are not taken away by Devers and Nunez this year. For example, a game in Toronto, Porcello did not allow the ball to be hit out the infield in an inning and still get charge with 3ER. Devers and Nunez were all over that.
    Last edited by Station 13; 06-18-2018 at 04:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post

Good post Nick. This does not make me shudder.