Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Start of a Season

All-Star

Start of a Season

Well the excitement for me of a new season is here. I thought it would be fun to make a thread talking about things we are excited for this summer and revisit it when the World Series is over with.

I'm really excited about running outdoors again and at night. I'm pumped to go on vacation this summer and hit up some new amusement parks. I'm on night shift right now but come end of June I'll be back to days.

I'm really excited to see how some of the Yankees grow as hitters too. Those lazy afternoon days watching a baseball game with the window open and my neighbor cutting his grass.

Anyone have any plans this summer they are looking forward to?

Going back to Maine for the 13th out of the last 14 summers I've been away. (The one time I missed going, we went to Europe for 7 weeks.)

I hope to catch a Sea Dogs game and a Sox game or two.

I'll be at the Astros - Sox games in May-June.

I'm so excited that baseball starts in 2 days!

As far as summer plans, I'm a teacher, so I get the summer off.

Taking a vacation to Lake Gaston this year, and plan to spend a good bit of time relaxing on the beach.

And watching baseball.

I'm excited for baseball, NBA playoffs, warm weather, and it not being dark at 5 pm.

Super, Duper Moderator Youk Of The Nation's Avatar
    I'm only excited about baseball, I hate my life and everything about it. But yay baseball!

Seriously though, I love baseball season but I hate the season. I've always preferred the cold months, the snow, and the dark, 70-100 degree days of blinding sunlight are so not my thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by YANKEESRULE View Post
    Yea got hand it to the Sox, they just could not go queitly into the night. Well, they are just post-poning the inevitable.
    - From the 2004 ALCS Game 4 Gamethread. A reminder that no game is over until the final out is recorded, and things will always get better. Misspellings unchanged as a reminder that Yankees fans are just terrible.

Well, a couple of friends will come to my place to watch the opening day games as we always do every year. This time I think We will make a BBQ and cook hamburgers, french fries, hot dogs, etc., and drink tons of beer and tequila LOL! Weather these days in Mexico City has been great, so a BBQ is the best way to go.

Unlike other recent years, this year there will be 15 games in one day. It will be a marathon LOL. It starts at 10:30 am —CHC vs MIA— and the last two games start at 20:00 hrs. This year I bought both MLB extra innings package and MLB.TV suscription, so I’m ready to feed 4 TVs, an iPad, and a computer in my living room and don’t lose any detail of the season this year —specially this opening day LOL. Also and as some of you know, I like to bet, so this time for this opening day I’m planning to place a bet of 7 lines called Golliat at Bet365.net. My fantasy team is also ready to compete this year in the talksox league.

Said that, I think I’m ready to go. Can’t wait LOL!
    Last edited by iortiz; 03-28-2018 at 02:41 AM.
    Tiburones Rojos de Veracruz & Boston Red Sox

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    In the words of Don Corleone when he slaps a crying Johnny Fontaine: "Act like a man!" No, offense ladies.

Quote Originally Posted by Youk Of The Nation View Post
    I'm only excited about baseball, I hate my life and everything about it. But yay baseball!
    And don't ever forget that your invisible friends here love you.

I used to take the day off along with several other friends and brothers-in-laws, have a cook out and watch game 1. After moving to mexico in 2004 and then the Houston area in 2007, there hasn't really been an opening day tradition.

Opening day has to be one of the best days of the year, to me. Of coures, it's better when the feeling is we have a strong chance to compete, and I'm thank that we've been in that category in March since the mid to late 90's. We're almost at 2 decades of at least having a decent chance at the start of each year.

Quote Originally Posted by iortiz View Post
    Well, a couple of friends will come to my place to watch the opening day games as we always do every year. This time I think We will make a BBQ and cook hamburgers, french fries, hot dogs, etc., and drink tons of beer and tequila LOL! Weather these days in Mexico City has been great, so a BBQ is the best way to go.

Unlike other recent years, this year there will be 15 games in one day. It will be a marathon LOL. It starts at 10:30 am —CHC vs MIA— and the last two games start at 20:00 hrs. This year I bought both MLB extra innings package and MLB.TV suscription, so I’m ready to feed 4 TVs, an iPad, and a computer in my living room and don’t lose any detail of the season this year —specially this opening day LOL. Also and as some of you know, I like to bet, so this time for this opening day I’m planning to place a bet of 7 lines called Golliat at Bet365.net. My fantasy team is also ready to compete this year in the talksox league.

Said that, I think I’m ready to go. Can’t wait LOL!
    Wow. I wish that I could be there with you and your friends! I would bring a bottle of real bourbon and would dutifully man the grill!
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    And don't ever forget that your invisible friends here love you.
    Yup.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I used to take the day off along with several other friends and brothers-in-laws, have a cook out and watch game 1. After moving to mexico in 2004 and then the Houston area in 2007, there hasn't really been an opening day tradition.

Opening day has to be one of the best days of the year, to me. Of coures, it's better when the feeling is we have a strong chance to compete, and I'm thank that we've been in that category in March since the mid to late 90's. We're almost at 2 decades of at least having a decent chance at the start of each year.
    I used to live very near Kenmore Square and Fenway. I just took the T from Newton Corner and I was there!

I first attended an opening day at Fenway in 1968 or 1969, I believe. The start of the season was postponed because of a strike. Not sure which year it was, actually. But it was against Cleveland. I don't recall who won but I do remember my hair catching on fire as I lit-up my pipe! My friend Keith stood up and started smacking my head and yelling to me that my head was on fire! This all happened in box seat behind the plate.

Skipping school and going to opening day at Fenway was sort of a right of passage back then. As I recall, teachers and school administrators did not give two shits about our truancy. They followed the Sox too!

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    I used to live very near Kenmore Square and Fenway. I just took the T from Newton Corner and I was there!

I first attended an opening day at Fenway in 1968 or 1969, I believe. The start of the season was postponed because of a strike. Not sure which year it was, actually. But it was against Cleveland. I don't recall who won but I do remember my hair catching on fire as I lit-up my pipe! My friend Keith stood up and started smacking my head and yelling to me that my head was on fire! This all happened in box seat behind the plate.

Skipping school and going to opening day at Fenway was sort of a right of passage back then. As I recall, teachers and school administrators did not give two shits about our truancy. They followed the Sox too!
    Classic! Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Classic! Thanks for sharing.
    I was hoping that you would get a kick out of it Moon!!!

I bet you and all the "aged " members of the board have many such stories.

Just in case anyone is wondering how my hair caught fire, I was smoking either Borkum Riff or Amphora in my Dr. Grabow pipe and using the new-fangled Bic Cricket butane lighter to spark-up. I had really long hair which was blown into the flame with the gusty Fenway breeze. My eyebrows were gone and there was a big black fused knot of hair in the front of my squash. "Tony, Tony, you head is on fire!!!!!"

Hahahahahahaha!111!!!!

What a dumb fuck I was!

Super, Duper Moderator Youk Of The Nation's Avatar
    According to Baseball Almanac, they didn't play Cleveland on Opening Day in 68 or 69. Closest was 72, and there was a strike in 72, could that be it?
    Quote Originally Posted by YANKEESRULE View Post
    Yea got hand it to the Sox, they just could not go queitly into the night. Well, they are just post-poning the inevitable.
    - From the 2004 ALCS Game 4 Gamethread. A reminder that no game is over until the final out is recorded, and things will always get better. Misspellings unchanged as a reminder that Yankees fans are just terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    Wow. I wish that I could be there with you and your friends! I would bring a bottle of real bourbon and would dutifully man the grill!
    Heeey Spud, that would be great! you always will be very welcome. If sometime you visit Mexico City, let me know. I will invite you a bottle of the best tequila made in Jalisco, and a box of cigars from my birth place —Veracruz, Mx.
    Tiburones Rojos de Veracruz & Boston Red Sox

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    In the words of Don Corleone when he slaps a crying Johnny Fontaine: "Act like a man!" No, offense ladies.