Register now to remove this ad

Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Hanley Ramirez Option Tracker

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by MADSTORK View Post
    Just remember this name next winter “Harper”
    Luxury tax penalties will likely prevent the Red Sox from pursuing Bryce Harper while paying David Price, J.D. Martinez and Dustin Pedrioa, ultimately replacing Chris Sale, Craig Kimbrel, Rick Porcello, Hanley Ramirez, Drew Pomeranz and Joe Kelly, and negotiating extensions for Mookie Betts, Xander Bogaerts and Jackie Bradley, and arbitration salaries for Andrew Benintendi, Rafael Devers and others.

Trying to get Hanley hurt? The conspiracy theory is absurd. Isn't the manager's job to try to get the team to win as many games as possible? One way to do that right now is to play Hanley. (as in tonight).
    Last edited by jad; 05-09-2018 at 08:37 PM.

Hanley boosting the OPS tonight!

So the Red Sox are going to let the option vest? Hanley now has an OPS+ of 97, AND THUS, he is a below average offensive player. His WAR is basically 0, meaning they could release him and it wouldn't matter. He had a great April (an inflated BABIP) but looks washed up in May. I like the idea of releasing Hanley when you activate Pedroia. Moreland becomes the every day 1B. Nunez essentially takes on Moreland's bench role with Pedroia at 2b.

Nunez and Swihart get practice reps at 1b. Against lefties, Nunez probably plays 1b and Moreland sits.

They can't let his option vest, right?
    Last edited by Fan_since_Boggs; 05-23-2018 at 11:11 PM.

The reality is that Hanley is in a slump and sucks. He needs a few days off. The option is almost earned at this point. Cora should have sat him a few games ago and let Mitch Moreland eat at the adults table. Hanley has all the ability and strength in the world but has never become a dominant player

Red Sox cannot keep this team together for very long. Maybe 1 more year. They need to win it all in 2018 or the budget cuts will be coming. Still eating the Panda's awful contract and Castillo's no show performance.

The option is almost earned at this point.
    Hold it, correct me if I'm wrong, Hanley needs 497 PA and he currently has 187. I wouldn't call that "almost." He still isn't half way there.

Hanley's 2018 OPS is now lower than his 2017 OPS. So much for the injury-free bounceback season.

This is definitely an issue for Cora and the team now.

And it is just a tiny bit perplexing that Cora keeps penciling him in, especially with Moreland's numbers.

Oh well. Even with a sensational 34-15 record, it wouldn't be the Sox without some sort of drama going on.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Fan_since_Boggs View Post
    Hold it, correct me if I'm wrong, Hanley needs 497 PA and he currently has 187. I wouldn't call that "almost." He still isn't half way there.
    With 30.25% of the season gone, Hanley has completed 37.6% of the plate appearances necessary to fulfill the contract requirements. I wouldn't mind if he were delivering at least some part of his part of the bargain, but if he stays mired in the current slump for too long his $22.7 million salary for this year will be ridiculously high, let alone having it vest for next year. Nothing we can do about 2018, that is a sunken cost. My solution is to give him extra rest and see if that helps pull him out of the slump and if not, the rest would act to reduce PA's and leave open a choice on the part of the Sox. I am hoping that Hanley regains his April form and that the Sox are a better team for it.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    With 30.25% of the season gone, Hanley has completed 37.6% of the plate appearances necessary to fulfill the contract requirements. I wouldn't mind if he were delivering at least some part of his part of the bargain, but if he stays mired in the current slump for too long his $22.7 million salary for this year will be ridiculously high, let alone having it vest for next year. Nothing we can do about 2018, that is a sunken cost. My solution is to give him extra rest and see if that helps pull him out of the slump and if not, the rest would act to reduce PA's and leave open a choice on the part of the Sox. I am hoping that Hanley regains his April form and that the Sox are a better team for it.
    I never understood the philosophy that we should go into the season with the intent of limiting Hanley's PA so his option doesn't vest. If Hanley hits as well as he did during April he'd be a key to winning the division. Now that he's gone into a slump it may be time to rethink this.

As you said, resting Hanley for a few games would be a win situation in two ways. It would limit his PA's as well as finding out if that rest would create a resurgence in his offense. If that rest doesn't bring about that resurgence the problem takes care of itself. If Hanley does come back strong after the rest then September could be interesting as the FO tries to limit his PA's as well as win the division.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    If he does not start to hit and hit well for us, an obvious issue is going to be created. He has become according to most reports somewhat of a leader for the kids in the clubhouse. I'm happy for him and I think that it says a lot about the person he has become. A good guy who is fun to be around. The but is - if he doesn't hit, you can't possibly pay him more then you pay Martinez if he has nothing to offer. Once again, if he doesn't start to come around, someone is going to have to sit down with him and explain how the economic facts of life work I guess. If Cora continues to play him and he doesn't produce, then maybe someone will have to sit down with Alex as well. I was and still am for giving him a good chance but he needs to start coming around. We might very well need the rbis from the 3 hole that he is not giving us.

Hanley isn't going to hit like it's April again. He's going to reach the plate appearances. We'll be stuck with him next year. And a lot of you people were fine with that before the season. Oh well.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Hanley would get at best a 3M on the market. This team can't be that dumb to keep playing him.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Hanley isn't going to hit like it's April again. He's going to reach the plate appearances. We'll be stuck with him next year. And a lot of you people were fine with that before the season. Oh well.
    I was fine with it under the assumption he would only reach the number if he was being a truly productive member of the offense, OPS'ing at least .800.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I was fine with it under the assumption he would only reach the number if he was being a truly productive member of the offense, OPS'ing at least .800.
    My thoughts were, it's tough to make the case to sit someone as they near the plate appearances goal in a pennant race no matter what. That's why I wanted to DFA in the offseason so that you could find a replacement and not have to worry about $20M next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")