Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where to bat Pedroia in the lineup?

Where to bat Pedroia in the lineup?

With Pedey's imminent return to the club and assuming Cora wants him starting at 2B, which hole in the lineup should he occupy? Does this warrant putting him back in the #2 spot and moving Beni down in the lineup or perhaps putting Pedey in #'s 7, 8, or 9 to shore up the bottom of the lineup? Pray tell what say the knowledgeable members of our merry band of forum followers.

I think you guys need a lineup reshuffling anyway. Hanley cannot stay at the #3 slot. I’d assume you’d see a lineup as follows

1. Betts
    2. Pedroia
    3. Martinez
    4. Benintendi
    5. Bogaerts
    6. Moreland
    7. JBJ/Hanley
    8. Devers
    9. C black hole

Betts
    Beni
    Mitch
    JD
    Xander
    Pedey
    Devers
    Vaz
    JBJ
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Even with no power last year, Pedroia was on base 37% of the time. He can hit and run, he can make contact, he works pitchers and he gets on base. That’s what you want in front of JD and not behind him

Talkin talkin talkin lineup talk...

Since Benintendi is hitting right now and Pedroia will be rusty even after the rehab stint, I'd consider putting him in the 9 hole as sort of a second leadoff hitter (leaving Beni in the 2 slot). If Pedey's getting on, having Betts and Beni hitting with a guy on base should lead to more runs. If he's not, it's no different than what is happening right now.
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by illinoisredsox View Post
    Since Benintendi is hitting right now and Pedroia will be rusty even after the rehab stint, I'd consider putting him in the 9 hole as sort of a second leadoff hitter (leaving Beni in the 2 slot). If Pedey's getting on, having Betts and Beni hitting with a guy on base should lead to more runs. If he's not, it's no different than what is happening right now.
    Nice. A would be manager with some flair. Not sure Cora will do it, however. I am so used to him batting 2d, but think that would be a little bold right now, plus Betts and Beni are pretty close to the best 1-2 combo in MLB.

Betts
    Beni
    Pedroia
    JDFREAKIN'MARTINEZ
    x-BO
    Han/MM
    devers
    vaz/leon
    JBj
    other names i have posted under: none

btw - all those trying to move JDM to 3rd obviously aren't down with stats. stats say you bat your worst* hitter in the 3 hole.

*of the top 6
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    btw - all those trying to move JDM to 3rd obviously aren't down with stats. stats say you bat your worst* hitter in the 3 hole.
    Negative oWAR Pedroia!

I don't see Mitch keeping his hot hitting going much longer so it's a toss up between him and Pedroia for me. I think Pedroia will come back and play his darndest and get that uni so dirty that everyone falls in love with that wee man all over again. Then he'll dive headfirst into 1b and have a bad wrist for the playoffs or some shit.

Only 3.7 years left to go on that Pedroia contract guys!

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Negative oWAR Pedroia!

I don't see Mitch keeping his hot hitting going much longer so it's a toss up between him and Pedroia for me. I think Pedroia will come back and play his darndest and get that uni so dirty that everyone falls in love with that wee man all over again. Then he'll dive headfirst into 1b and have a bad wrist for the playoffs or some shit.
    No. He does have a crazy high BABIP considering his hitting profile. Since he is still hitting line drives/groundballs/flyballs at roughly his career rates, it should unfortunately normalize for him at some point...

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Only 3.7 years left to go on that Pedroia contract guys!
    Extend him now!!! Give him the Wakefield contract!!

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    I think you guys need a lineup reshuffling anyway. Hanley cannot stay at the #3 slot. I’d assume you’d see a lineup as follows

1. Betts
    2. Pedroia
    3. Martinez
    4. Benintendi
    5. Bogaerts
    6. Moreland
    7. JBJ/Hanley
    8. Devers
    9. C black hole
    I want to disagree with that lineup, but I can't figure out a better way. Except maybe flipping 7 and 8, but that's just nitpicking and probably inconsequential...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    No. He does have a crazy high BABIP considering his hitting profile. Since he is still hitting line drives/groundballs/flyballs at roughly his career rates, it should unfortunately normalize for him at some point...
    He's pulling the ball much more than he did last year. Maybe last year he kept trying to hit up the monster for doubles?

He's swinging at more pitches in the zone and still maintaining his contact %. Not bad.

He had a .310+ BABIP in 14 and 15. Maybe he can do it again, but I just wouldn't count on it.