Register now to remove this ad

Page 77 of 139 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987127 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,155 of 2071

Thread: The Alex Cora Managerial Decision Thread

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Here's another one from me:

You can pitch 5.2 shutout innings and not get a QS.

But if you were able to get one more out, even if you gave up 2 or 3 runs in the process, you'd get a QS.

As with many stats there's an arbitrary nature to it...
    Of course it's arbitrary. You gotta draw a line somewhere. I like that standard because it requires a starter to go 2/3 of a game and to limit the damage to 3 runs, which I agree is an ERA of 4.5 but is earned by facing the same lineup a minimum of twice and sometimes three times, which is no mean feat. At the same time, you don't have to be a 10 K complete game ace to get a quality start.

Yesterday ERod did go 5.2 and gave up 0 runs, but he also loaded the bases in the 6th, had thrown 110 pitches, and badly needed someone to come in and bail him out. I loved what ERod did and said so on the game thread,but I'm also fine with that not being an official quality start.
    Last edited by Maxbialystock; 05-21-2018 at 12:48 PM.

Personally I'm never too upset when the 4 and 5 starters go 5+. Their job at that spot in rotation is simply not to be overmatched and give the team a chance to win, if you can get more from the 4th and 5th guy than that, it's pretty much gravy in my mind.

Far as I'm concerned, Eddie did his job. He kept the scoreboard clean so that Cora could use the lower options in his bullpen to finish the game rather than taxing the key relief arms, and pushed into the 6th inning. For a mid-echelon starter, that's exactly Eddie's job description. The fact that he hung up 5 zeros is a bonus that made the game easier for the offense. I'll take it.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    Personally I'm never too upset when the 4 and 5 starters go 5+. Their job at that spot in rotation is simply not to be overmatched and give the team a chance to win, if you can get more from the 4th and 5th guy than that, it's pretty much gravy in my mind.

Far as I'm concerned, Eddie did his job. He kept the scoreboard clean so that Cora could use the lower options in his bullpen to finish the game rather than taxing the key relief arms, and pushed into the 6th inning. For a mid-echelon starter, that's exactly Eddie's job description. The fact that he hung up 5 zeros is a bonus that made the game easier for the offense. I'll take it.
    Agree completely He needed a whole lot of pitches to get those 17 outs, but he more than did his job--and the lineup did theirs, ditto the bullpen.

Since this thread is about Cora, I also think he managed this game beautifully. I would never have started JBJ, but the little sucker came through in part because his manager gave him another shot. He also left ERod in just long enough and brought in Hembree--again, not my choice-- got 4 outs and preserved that goose egg for ERod. Then Poyner and Barnes to finish off the shut out.

Nothing wrong with Cora's performance so far. He's been solid, and put the team in a position to make the most of their ability to this point. I wasn't really concerned about Cora at the outset, although I did want a more experienced field manager at the time Cora was hired (I wanted DeMarlo Hale). I'm very satisfied with the work he's doing.

No knock on Farrell, who is, I've said all along, an average manager at worst, and one who did some good work for us and had to take it hard on the chin when the FO misfired in 14 and 15 but was a good soldier about it -- but Cora does seem to be a few ticks better than average, so the team did improve itself by moving from Farrell to Cora.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Patience is a must.

But on the other hand, Bradley is 5 for his last 56. Give me 56 at-bats against MLB pitching and I can come within 5 hits of that total. Even the struggling Vazquez has over twice as many hits in his last 56 at bats...
    Bradley has been extremely feeble and difficult to watch at the plate, there's no denying that. Fortunately, the Sox are keeping pace with the Yankees, so we can afford to be a little more patient with him.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I'm really not a fan of QS. It's fine for what it is, but I agree with a lot of the criticisms of it.
    As you say, it's fine for what it is. IMO, if someone pitches a quality start, then you know he kept the team in the game and gave them a chance, despite what the ERA of 6 runs in 3 innings might look like.

Game scores would be a better measure.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    As you say, it's fine for what it is. IMO, if someone pitches a quality start, then you know he kept the team in the game and gave them a chance, despite what the ERA of 6 runs in 3 innings might look like.

Game scores would be a better measure.
    To me, the starter with a larger number of quality pitches to use has a better chance of getting through the lineup multiple times. That is especially true if the starter also has good command of his pitches and can throw them at any point in the count. E-Rod has his fast ball, multiple versions of his changeup and does throw a slider. He is a nibbler though so the pich numbers build up quickly. Many hitters today adjust on the fly and can sit on one pitch if they know it is coming and have seen it before. Relievers can get by with less since they may only go one inning. I

Deity
    Bradley has been extremely feeble and difficult to watch at the plate, there's no denying that. Fortunately, the Sox are keeping pace with the Yankees, so we can afford to be a little more patient with him.
    That's really the bigest reason.

For all the complaining that Bradley or Bradley and Vazquez are costing this team wins, you'd think the Sox had won a lot less than 68% of their games...

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    To me, the starter with a larger number of quality pitches to use has a better chance of getting through the lineup multiple times. That is especially true if the starter also has good command of his pitches and can throw them at any point in the count. E-Rod has his fast ball, multiple versions of his changeup and does throw a slider. He is a nibbler though so the pich numbers build up quickly. Many hitters today adjust on the fly and can sit on one pitch if they know it is coming and have seen it before. Relievers can get by with less since they may only go one inning. I
    The thing that's so frustrating with ERod is that far too often, he gets ahead 0-2 on a batter, then the next thing you know, the count is 3-2. Why doesn't he attack the 3rd strike the same way he attacks strike one and strike two?

The thing that's so frustrating with ERod is that far too often, he gets ahead 0-2 on a batter, then the next thing you know, the count is 3-2. Why doesn't he attack the 3rd strike the same way he attacks strike one and strike two?
    Srsly
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    That's really the bigest reason.

For all the complaining that Bradley or Bradley and Vazquez are costing this team wins, you'd think the Sox had won a lot less than 68% of their games...
    Yup. If one didn't follow the sport outside of reading some of these threads, they'd be shocked to see how well the Sox are doing.

Deity
    Yup. If one didn't follow the sport outside of reading some of these threads, they'd be shocked to see how well the Sox are doing.
    And they would wonder why Cora still had his job because on talksox he does nothing right. Well, nothing that actually gets mentioned. His gaffes begin with the lineups and go downhill from there.

Major Leaguer
    I heard the other day the redsox are 14-1 in the last game of a series this year. Is this just a statistical anomaly or a credit to Cora keeping them rested? Or is it a matter of staying focused when it matters. I know every game counts the same, but the last game always has a little added significance, either avoid a sweep, win the series or complete a sweep.

Here's another Rookie Manager mistake IMO (of course).
    it is obvious to everyone on the planet except for Rookie Cora that HanRam is struggling big time at the plate.
    1) Rookie Cora continues to bat him in front of JDM (perhaps drop him down in the lineup for a bit????)
    2) Rookie Cora continue to start HanRam vs RHP when a LHB + better defensive first baseman is sitting on the bench (MM).
    3) Hanleys AB's are so bad right now most managers would sit him against both RHP & LHP for a bit.
    4) not only do we have an excellent option at first base (MM) to replace hanley - by allowing hanley to continue to get AB's Rookie Cora is almost guaranteeing Hanley's option vests. perhaps the reason is that Cora is intimidated by the veteran Hanley? Perhaps the reason is Hanley has a secret deal to give Cora 1/2 of his 2019 vested $$$$?

whatever the case...Cora is managing this particular situation like a....Rookie Manager without a Clue.
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    Here's another Rookie Manager mistake IMO (of course).
    it is obvious to everyone on the planet except for Rookie Cora that HanRam is struggling big time at the plate.
    1) Rookie Cora continues to bat him in front of JDM (perhaps drop him down in the lineup for a bit????)
    2) Rookie Cora continue to start HanRam vs RHP when a LHB + better defensive first baseman is sitting on the bench (MM).
    3) Hanleys AB's are so bad right now most managers would sit him against both RHP & LHP for a bit.
    4) not only do we have an excellent option at first base (MM) to replace hanley - by allowing hanley to continue to get AB's Rookie Cora is almost guaranteeing Hanley's option vests. perhaps the reason is that Cora is intimidated by the veteran Hanley? Perhaps the reason is Hanley has a secret deal to give Cora 1/2 of his 2019 vested $$$$?

whatever the case...Cora is managing this particular situation like a....Rookie Manager without a Clue.
    He has his reasons for doing it. We just don't know exactly what they are yet.