Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 139 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: The Alex Cora Managerial Decision Thread

The Alex Cora Managerial Decision Thread

This is a thread where I will be discussing moves this guy makes. Farrell was an idiot, obviously, but Cora in game 1 is already making questionable decisions.

Chris Sale was rolling today, through 6 innings, he had allowed only 1 hit and was only at 92 pitches, he was pulled from the game.. Um, why? the game was FAR from over.

Now, lets fast forward to the 8th, its pretty clear early that Kelly doesn't have it. he is all over the place, shitting the bed with explosive diarrhea, cora allows Kelly to walk the bases loaded before finally pulling him, not to bring in our lockdown closer kimbrel, but to bring in a guy carson smith, who hasn't really pitched in meaningful innings since 2015. smith looks wild the whole time, walks in a run, as this is happening, cora still doesn't warm up kimbrel, and of course, smith gives up the KO, a 3 run triple to span.

awful managing game 1.

This is troubling especially since Cora mentioned he would not be using his closer just in the ninth but based on game situation. If ever there was a time for Kimbrel it was the eighth after Kelly loaded the bases. Someone else could have handled the ninth

But righties can get lefties and vice-versa.

It says so in Cora's iPad.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

I too like to blame Cora for shitty Joe Kelly.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I blame Bennie Boy.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Legend
    It's a very long season - these are the sorts of decisions I would get angrier about later in the season. In reality the team has to be able to show they can hold a 4 run lead. Seriously, if you can't win a game like this without going to a postseason strategy, that is a problem of its own.

In reality - while Cora will say he will use the closer at the best time, during the slog of the season that really means the odd 4-6 out save. Do you put Kimbrel out for a 5 out save on Day 1? Carson Smith HAS to be entrusted for this job. It's a maddening loss. But it's baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I never said Kelly wasn't bad, he sucked lex steele sized dicks. that doesn't mean cora gets out of this blame free for the carson smith move. kimbrel or a lefty should be facing span, not carson smith who had moments ago just walked in a run with the bases loaded...

Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post
    It's a very long season - these are the sorts of decisions I would get angrier about later in the season. In reality the team has to be able to show they can hold a 4 run lead. Seriously, if you can't win a game like this without going to a postseason strategy, that is a problem of its own.

In reality - while Cora will say he will use the closer at the best time, during the slog of the season that really means the odd 4-6 out save. Do you put Kimbrel out for a 5 out save on Day 1? Carson Smith HAS to be entrusted for this job. It's a maddening loss. But it's baseball.
    oh, I agree. this was pathetic effort by the bullpen, and is a larger issue than cora.

but kimbrel easily could've game in when bases were loaded (4-1 game and 1 out), if he gets out of it, depending on pitch count, let kimbrel get last 3 outs, or bring in someone else for 9th if he exerted too many pitches. .

"Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post

I don't bring Kimbrel in until the 9th, period. His arm will fall off otherwise.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenCurry30 View Post
    oh, I agree. this was pathetic effort by the bullpen, and is a larger issue than cora.

but kimbrel easily could've game in when bases were loaded (4-1 game and 1 out), if he gets out of it, depending on pitch count, let kimbrel get last 3 outs, or bring in someone else for 9th if he exerted too many pitches. .
    You're not wrong ... and if this were late August, I'd be totally with you. But in terms of managing the roster - the human stuff, not just the analytic stuff - you almost have to ride or die with Smith there, at least on opening day. I can see both points of view here. I just sigh, shrug, and take some reassurance that Bogaerts actually hit the ball hard today.

They're trying to cut back on Sale a little so he doesn't hit a wall in September like he almost always does, around 90 pitches opening day, I understood taking him out. Cora left Kelly in too long I agree, but that's not why I'd be mad if I cared enough to actually get mad. The more things change the more they stay the same, I've been saying this for years: 1. Joe Kelly is basically useless. He throws a million mph, but his ball does NOTHING even in the times he can manage to control it. He either implodes the game himself, or sets it in motion for someone else to finish up. DFA the ex-Cardinal, I've never liked him. 2. Bend over and grab your ankles against a terrible team at Tropicana, it's what we DO. Same crap, different day. Tomorrow night I'll probably get my fire pit out, listen to some audio books and completely ignore this BS. I've done it before I'll do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by StephenCurry30 View Post
    I never said Kelly wasn't bad, he sucked lex steele sized dicks. that doesn't mean cora gets out of this blame free for the carson smith move. kimbrel or a lefty should be facing span, not carson smith who had moments ago just walked in a run with the bases loaded...
    You realize that Kimbrel can’t pitch 162 games and can’t be warmed up immediately?

To me, the relievers lost the game. Hard to say how Cora will manage a pen after one game.

Deity
    I'm as mad as I can be at Cora, but it is way, way too early for a thread like this. I think games in March are important, but you manage a little differently in early games.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    I'm as mad as I can be at Cora, but it is way, way too early for a thread like this. I think games in March are important, but you manage a little differently in early games.
    Actually, there is no rational basis for blaming Cora for the 8th. A manager cannot be expected to compensate for the monumental ineptitude displayed by both Kelly and Smith. Kelly gave up 3 walks and a hit, but Smith gave up a walk, a single, and a triple with the bases loaded. Bringing in your ace closer in the 8th inning of the first game of the season is simply the wrong move.

These are the facts and the facts are undisputed!

Kelly Barnes Hembree average WHIP last 3 seasons 1.5 = 5million total payroll (Kelly 3.8). Gregerson despite a down year in 17, 0.9WHIP, 2 year deal 11 million. Reed 3 yr WHIP average 0.99 signs for a difference of +3.5 million? I understand Relievers are inconsistent from year to year but the 3 stooges in Boston have been a train wreck. That is not the fault of Cora, its the fault of DD not addressing the BP needs.

Where Cora is at Fault today is not his bullpen moves, its what Pitcher he decided to use minus Kimbrell and CSmith who I will give a pass to today only. Cora needs to find his identity as a Manager. His own Identity! If Pitchers that were not used today get shelled then so be it. Walden Maddux Poyner? Don't be afraid to use them. Lets try to find a diamond in the rough or make the GM go out and make a move for better talent than what we have seen the last few years with the stiffs DD has put in uniform.