Register now to remove this ad

Page 88 of 139 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098138 ... LastLast
Results 1,306 to 1,320 of 2071

Thread: The Alex Cora Managerial Decision Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    i would like to see that stats of a manager using a closer the day after throwing 30+ pitches with a 4 run lead vs a lower tier offense in a mid june game.
    Kimbrel threw 23 pitches the game before, not 30+.

All-Star
    Players have to learn, That means making mistakes, Were you immune?
    A player makes a mistahe, runs into anout. So? What does that have to do with Cora making a bad decision?
    As far as I am concerned he has done one hell of a job! JD has fit in, Betts and Benintendi have blossmed.

This looks like a "team" to me. It never did under Farrell.

Quote Originally Posted by SoxHop View Post
    I'm with you on this one. Sounds suspect. Who else was available though? Maybe Johnson who would have been fine for a 4 run lead.
    A 4 run lead is suspect IMO.

When Velazquez loaded the bases in the 7th with one out, how comfy-cozy were you feeling?

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    A 4 run lead is suspect IMO.

When Velazquez loaded the bases in the 7th with one out, how comfy-cozy were you feeling?
    Not to bad actually. It was a good time to bring in Kelly and close it out the 7th. Heck, they probably could of left Velazquez in there and we still would have won.

I can't keep up with bullpen workloads. But I would have been fine seeing Workman or Hembree come in in the 9th last night.
    In the town where I was born
    Lived a man who sailed to sea
    And he told us of his life
    In the land of submarines
    So we sailed up to the sun
    'Til we found a sea of green
    And we lived beneath the waves
    In our yellow submarine

The bottom line is, it's very common for managers to use their closer with a 4-run lead. Obviously they're not too concerned about whether it's a 'non-save' situation. They want to nail the damn thing down.

The bottom line is, it's very common for managers to use their closer with a 4-run lead. Obviously they're not too concerned about whether it's a 'non-save' situation. They want to nail the damn thing down.
    Well. Maybe someone should take away the panic button from them. I get that it's a gray area, but again, Kimbrell isn't available tonight.
    In our yellow submarine

Well. Maybe someone should take away the panic button from them. I get that it's a gray area, but again, Kimbrell isn't available tonight.
    There's also probably a 50% chance he won't be needed tonight. So that plays into it too.

There's also probably a 50% chance he won't be needed tonight. So that plays into it too.
    I'm throwing this back at you. You think using Kimbrell in that situation was a good idea, and better than other options?
    In our yellow submarine

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    i would like to see that stats of a manager using a closer the day after throwing 30+ pitches with a 4 run lead vs a lower tier offense in a mid june game.
    Cora probably figures the Sox are due to pound the crap out of the O's in the next game.
    “The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead.
    It's only difficult for other people.

It works the same way for stupid."

Deity
    Love the discussion about Kimbrel. He stubs his toe, and Cora gets blamed for sending him out there in the first place. We already know Kimbrel shouldn't be used when men are on base. Ditto the 8th inning. Now apparently it's consecutive games. Also with 4 run leads. That's the beauty of having an $11M reliever--finding that perfect niche for him and absolutely, positively not placing too many demands on him.

Quote Originally Posted by SoxnCycles View Post
    Cora probably figures the Sox are due to pound the crap out of the O's in the next game.
    lol. that sounds great to me!
    unfortunately it always seems like whenever Sale pitches we are in a 1-0 or 2-1 ballgame......which is always a great time to have your lights out 9th inning closer available.
    other names i have posted under: none

I'm throwing this back at you. You think using Kimbrell in that situation was a good idea, and better than other options?
    Absolutely.

Kimbrel is a relief pitcher. He pitched in relief. You are seriously overthinking this.

Kelly or Barnes can take a save situation from time to time. Taking appearanes in the 9th when the closer can't go is part of the setup role. That's why you have depth of quality relief, so if your most reliable guys are gassed, you have other arms you can fall back upon.

The REd Sox are uniquely well suited to survive a situation where the closer can't go. Not many teams boast 2 other closer quality relievers, and we have them. Either Barnes or Kelly could be someone's closer in 2-3 years and would be up to the task. We have an incredible back end to our bullpen right now, and they're more than good enough to allow the manager to spread the load.

This is not actually a problem. 2006 when Papelbon blew out his shoulder and the next best reliever we had was the corpse of Mike Timlin, THAT was a problem. This is an inconvenience at worst.
    Last edited by Dojji; 06-13-2018 at 01:44 PM.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Absolutely.
    Because we needed a shutdown inning with a 4 run lead?
    In our yellow submarine

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    Kimbrel is a relief pitcher. He pitched in relief. You are seriously overthinking this.

Kelly or Barnes can take a save situation from time to time. Taking appearanes in the 9th when the closer can't go is part of the setup role. That's why you have depth of quality relief, so if your most reliable guys are gassed, you have other arms you can fall back upon.

The REd Sox are uniquely well suited to survive a situation where the closer can't go. Not many teams boast 2 other closer quality relievers, and we have them. Either Barnes or Kelly could be someone's closer in 2-3 years and would be up to the task. We have an incredible back end to our bullpen right now, and they're more than good enough to allow the manager to spread the load.

This is not actually a problem. 2006 when Papelbon blew out his shoulder and the next best reliever we had was the corpse of Mike Timlin, THAT was a problem. This is an inconvenience at worst.
    I get it. It's not the end of the world. But again, who's batting 4th or 5th isn't the end of the world. This board is about argueing inconveniences.

Chances are we won't need Kimbrell tonight. But if that happens, and Workman has to come in and blows it. Well......... Kimbrell with a 4 run lead is going to look super duper suspect.
    In our yellow submarine