Register now to remove this ad

Page 96 of 139 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798106 ... LastLast
Results 1,426 to 1,440 of 2071

Thread: The Alex Cora Managerial Decision Thread

Scott has a career 0.7 WHIP against LHB. That's pretty good. He was a good bet to come in and get a few outs. It just didn't work out.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by fxkatt View Post
    Well, there's no hind-sight for some of us, because we called it before any walk was given (on the game forum). No manager would bring in the newly arrived Scott in this context. None. Esp right after a day off (i mean how much rest does this effing team need?) and just after tying the game at 2-2 in the top of the 8th. It's time for the your shut down guy, who 85% of the time (Kelly) will come through. Scott needs to come in for the first time in a blowout or in the 5-6th innings.
    I looked at the game thread and the comments when Scott went into the game were mixed, beginning with Station13 asking who the heck this guy was. Several pointed out Scott is experienced and good against lefty bats. Someone said it was the bottom of the order.

To me there is a huge difference between preserving a win and hoping to win as is the case in a tie game.

Also, you refer to Kelly as the shut down guy, but he's the one who gave up the walk, the double, and the triple without getting a single out. How shut down is that? In fact, Scott actually pitched better than Kelly in last night's game. He only gave up a walk and an HBP, plus he got an out.

Since Scott and Kelly both stunk only Kelly stunk worse, who would you have sent out to pitch the 8th in a tie game? How about Kimbrel who hadn't pitched since last Thursday?

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    I looked at the game thread and the comments when Scott went into the game were mixed, beginning with Station13 asking who the heck this guy was. Several pointed out Scott is experienced and good against lefty bats. Someone said it was the bottom of the order.

To me there is a huge difference between preserving a win and hoping to win as is the case in a tie game.

Also, you refer to Kelly as the shut down guy, but he's the one who gave up the walk, the double, and the triple without getting a single out. How shut down is that? In fact, Scott actually pitched better than Kelly in last night's game. He only gave up a walk and an HBP, plus he got an out.

Since Scott and Kelly both stunk only Kelly stunk worse, who would you have sent out to pitch the 8th in a tie game? How about Kimbrel who hadn't pitched since last Thursday?
    sounds like cora screwed up.
    other names i have posted under: none

Legend

I think Cora sent out guys who should have done better. That's all he can do. The players then are responsible for the results.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    Nope, Sorry. One can always blame the offense for not scoring enough runs but this one's on Cora. As you said, "Scott left the game with the score tied, 1 man out, runners on 1st and 2d". The thing you left out is that situation was one of Scott's own making by walking those two hitters. It's hard for me to blame Scott because he never should have been put in that position. This one's on Cora.
    Meh. Scott pitched better in the 8th than Sale did in the 6th and way, way better than Kelly in the 8th. If you blame one of those guys, you have to blame all of them--and the lack of hitting. Scott is 28 and has been pitching in MLB since 2016. He's been good against lefty bats and was sent out there to do his job, nothing more and against the bottom of the order at that. On top of which, we weren't preserving a lead but simply hoping to score again and maybe win.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Station 13 View Post
    So the best thing for a team trying to win is to run out a LOOGY who just been on the roster that day in a tie game in the 8th on the road? Who proceeded to put on two base runners, their 9th hitter and Mauer. The bullpen was well rested, having enjoyed Sunday blowout win and off day on Monday.

Hitters won't always have a good night. But the game was tie. Cora have to use his best to win. That's not a time to run out Robby Scott.
    Scott is no babe in the woods. He's been here before and he's good against lefty bats and was going against the bottom of the order. Plus he actually pitched better--with those two walks but also an out--in the 8th than Sale did in the 6th and a whole lot better than Kelly (a walk, a double, a triple, and no outs) did in the same darn inning. If you blame Cora for sending Scott out for the 8th, you also have to blame him for sending Sale out in the 6th and Kelly out in the 8th.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    sounds like cora screwed up.
    You're darn right he screwed up. Sale had no business pitching in the 6th--he was done after the 5th--and Kelly had no business pitching in the 8th. When will Cora learn to make good judgments about the pitching staff?

For that matter, he also removed Scott in the 8th right after he got that out. The Twins got all their hits last night off righty pitchers and exactly 0 hits off of lefty pitchers.

You're darn right he screwed up. Sale had no business pitching in the 6th--he was done after the 5th--and Kelly had no business pitching in the 8th. When will Cora learn to make good judgments about the pitching staff?

For that matter, he also removed Scott in the 8th right after he got that out. The Twins got all their hits last night off righty pitchers and exactly 0 hits off of lefty pitchers.
    You will see Sale pitch into the 6 th inning again this season. I’ll guarantee that. I’ll also guarantee that you will not see Scott start the 8th inning again with a 1 run lead when Barnes/Kelly are available. Even Cora knows it was a bad decision.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

meh. managers are judged on their W-L. Maxbialystock says so. so that L (as all L's are) is on Cora.
    other names i have posted under: none

I know what Scott did. He did exactly the same thing Sale did in the 6th inning--put the first two guys on before getting an out. I believe both of them, Scott and Sale, got an HBP in the process of putting two men on base. Then Sale did exactly what Kelly did and gave up a double to bring in those two runs and put the Twins up, 2-1.

Also, to me there's a world of difference between a tie game and a 1 run lead for the good guys. In the latter, I'm for pulling out all the stops to preserve the lead and get the win. With a tie game, you are gambling that you will score again.
    Wow. I didn't realize that. Who would have thought that after a stint in Pawtucket Scott would come back and be equal to CHRIS FREAKIN' SALE! Who do we bump out of the rotation now?

Get real. Bringing in Scott in that situation was a mistake and many of us saw it at the time. Scott may have done well against ML hitters last year and he may have done well against AAA hitting this year but this is the bigs in 2018. Your goal in a tie game is to not give up any more runs so you can win it with one swing of the bat. Bringing in Scott with NO ML experience this year was not the way to achieve that goal. Especially with a rested bullpen.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

This has actually been a pretty good discussion.

Ok Cora....You had to let Cruz hit his 2nd HR today before you took Wright out of the game? Wasn't it kind of obvious to take him out earlier? Pathetic....I think I've seen enough........

Quote Originally Posted by Dalas21000 View Post
    Ok Cora....You had to let Cruz hit his 2nd HR today before you took Wright out of the game? Wasn't it kind of obvious to take him out earlier? Pathetic....I think I've seen enough........
    I just about never bitch about in game calls, but that was horrible.

Deity
    I'm through defending Cora. Tonight was the dumbest job of managing I can remember. Wright showed how bad he was in the first inning. Cora has an extra pitcher right now, so there should be no hesitation on getting someone warm in the 2d inning, and Cora let it ride until the 4th. Stupid, stupid, stupid. This is especially galling because the Sox actually took the lead back in the 1st, so this game was winnable. Going into the 4th it was still winnable and Cora refused to warm anyone up until it was too late.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I just about never bitch about in game calls, but that was horrible.
    It was, and it was horrible before Cruz came to the plate. Cora is showing his rookie colors tonight and I think in some prior games when I defended him.