Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Michael Chavis Suspended for PEDs

There is too much money in the game and the temptation is too great.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

It’s a shame. Hopefully he learns from this and uses it to his advantage down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    It’s a shame. Hopefully he learns from this and uses it to his advantage down the road.
    He will probably continue to use the additional muscle mass (built with PEDs) to his advantage.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    I am no great fan of Michael Chavis (and no fan of steroids), but this matter may point up the difficulty of monitoring every substance that enters the body.

From medical prescriptions to over-the-counter supplements to protein shakes, a player places great trust that the provider is not dispensing a banned substance.

On one hand, Chavis may have knowingly consumed a banned substance in hopes of enhancing his performance.

On the other hand, as Chavis contends, the top prospect may have no idea how the banned substance turned up in his urine.
    I guess I'm too skeptical, but I never believe it when the athlete says that he doesn't know how the substance got into his urine. If I were in a similar situation, I'd be darn sure before I put anything into my body that would be even remotely 'iffy'.

Deity
    Are these banned substances so common players ingest them every time they eat a Big Mac or drink Country Time lemonade? Maybe I'm wrong but I have to think most if not all are isolated enough that any ingestion is intentional...

Deity
    I think the SOB is guilty and am glad they caught him.

Legend
    Whatever the reasoon, intentional or not, he is out for 80 days and that will put his career on hold likely for all of this season as far as the Sox team is
    concerned. It sounds like travis is their backup plan for a hitter should someone underperform or get injured. With Pedey coming back in a month or two, we may not need anyone so it is not a huge loss at this point.

It is not hard to see what happened. His career was going nowhere, he started juicing, and the HR production spiked. He finally looked like a legitimate prospect. But now we know that such things were a mirage, a result of PEDs. He has lost all of his trade value and is basically back to being a non-factor again. He is an irrelevant prospect until he returns and proves he can hit without juicing. Problem is, Chavis probably can't hit without juicing--HR power was his only tool.

All-Star
    I think there are a lot of factors that weigh into whether a player is covering up or is honestly surprised at test results. I have little faith in the accuracy and broad sweep of these drug tests, and assume that 25% are false. There is close to a 10-20% inaccuracy with almost all medical tests, esp. of this nature. Add in the countless legal supplements aimed at all athletes which have untested substances and thus have a good chance of setting off a positive result. (and yes, even meat loaded with growth hormones)

So how do we know. There are physical signs, performance signs, player history... etc, with steroids, the facial changes are key. But this approach is hardly foolproof.

In any case, I hope Michael C can continue to get in a lot of work on the side, whatever that is, because the penalty is extreme for a first time offender. It sounds like something that murderous Philippines president would deal out.
    Last edited by fxkatt; 04-07-2018 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jad View Post
    If I were a young player, I would likely consider that the possible gains are worth the risk.
    The money and temptation are too great. If you are buried in the minors, you have nothing to lose.

Sux. Little else to say.

The money and temptation are too great. If you are buried in the minors, you have nothing to lose.
    I agree with this; and Chavis fits this profile perfectly. His minor league career was going nowhere--he had nothing to lose.

The Red Sox system has been hit pretty hard over the last two seasons, beginning with the unfortunate and sad passing of D.Flores. And now we learn that Chavis was juicing. Thus, the Red Sox system, which was trending in the wrong direction anyway, lost two of their better prospects without getting anything in return.

He will probably continue to use the additional muscle mass (built with PEDs) to his advantage.
    He may, but he would need the testosterone to keep the muscle mass long term. It has been built, but it needs to be sustained
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    He may, but he would need the testosterone to keep the muscle mass long term. It has been built, but it needs to be sustained
    If the muscle mass is not unnaturally large, he could sustain it without help.