Register now to remove this ad

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Yankee Prospect Thread

There is speculation that C.Adams will get the start on Saturday against the Red Sox. Wow. Of course, the Yankees would first have to put Adams on the 40 man roster but they do have a spot.

Sheffield can't go on Saturday--I believe he pitched Thursday night. In contrast, Adams is scheduled to pitch in AAA on Saturday.

It is also possible that the Yankees will go with a bullpen game on Saturday. Nothing official yet, but Lynn and Cessa definitely aren't pitching on Saturday.
    Last edited by Fan_since_Boggs; 08-03-2018 at 12:57 AM.

I've been on the road traveling with family, but I did scratch my head over the Yankee deals.

Adam Warren for slot money. 1.6 WAR since 2017 (2.45 ERA and 1.02 WHIP)

How much did you guys lose in farm depth with the Lynn and other deals?

Not much in farm depth. We dealt off lower level guys. What fucking baffles the shit out of me is why Sheff is still in the minors. The guy is left handed, which the Sox don’t do well against, he’s been entirely dominant and is gaining nothing from the minors. Chance has been inconsistent at best in AAA this year, yet he’s coming off his best start (7.1IP 0ER). I don’t think it’s a good matchup for a kid who’s developed command issues

High A Tampa Yankees lost in extra innings while throwing a no hitter. How crazy is that.

On the bright side, Deivi Garcia continued to dominate, throwing 7 IP, 0 H, 0 BB, 12 Ks

Quote Originally Posted by bkzwhitestrican View Post
    High A Tampa Yankees lost in extra innings while throwing a no hitter. How crazy is that.

On the bright side, Deivi Garcia continued to dominate, throwing 7 IP, 0 H, 0 BB, 12 Ks
    That is crazy. It's the kind of thing that makes baseball the best sport in the world.

Deivi Garcia, Clarke Schmidt and Roansy Contreras are jumping up prospect lists. They made Tate and the other pitchers expendable.

Sheff goes another 5 scoreless. That brings his total up to 107IP. The kid hasn’t gone past 130 IP his MILB career. My bet is they’ll let him go 5-6IP per start for his next 3 starts then get him a start or two in the playoffs which should get him over 130IP. Then he’ll head to the AFL where he’ll get another 20-30 IP which should allow him to get up to the 150-160 mark on the year. This would put him in the 180-190 category for next season, which should squarely put him into our rotation plans. With Lynn and Happ in the rotation and the rest of the guys seeming healthy, I think they’re sticking with Sheff’s development

Sheff goes another 5 scoreless. That brings his total up to 107IP.

Wow, 107 scoreless innings. He should be in the bigs!

(LOL)

I’m perplexed by the BA ranking of our system then the write ups. They don’t jive. We have one of the deepest systems in baseball. We have low minors guys breaking radar guns. High velocity kids at young ages, so many it’s insane per Josh Norris. Yet because we graduate Torres and Andujar, we drop to 17th? MLB pipeline has us at 10, which I think is a bit more reasonable.

BA has separated itself out by listing farm systems as listing farm systems with the most proximal impact. I get that, but say that outright. Don’t just slam a farm for having graduated players and having a really deep lower level pool that hasn’t had the chance to move up yet. Either way, the pundits are saying what I’ve been saying here. The depth is ridiculous and part of the reason why we parted with some prospect who were at the upper levels so we could make room for those guys coming up

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    I’m perplexed by the BA ranking of our system then the write ups. They don’t jive. We have one of the deepest systems in baseball. We have low minors guys breaking radar guns. High velocity kids at young ages, so many it’s insane per Josh Norris. Yet because we graduate Torres and Andujar, we drop to 17th? MLB pipeline has us at 10, which I think is a bit more reasonable.

BA has separated itself out by listing farm systems as listing farm systems with the most proximal impact. I get that, but say that outright. Don’t just slam a farm for having graduated players and having a really deep lower level pool that hasn’t had the chance to move up yet. Either way, the pundits are saying what I’ve been saying here. The depth is ridiculous and part of the reason why we parted with some prospect who were at the upper levels so we could make room for those guys coming up
    I think the ranking is fair. We have tons of highly talented prospects who are Single A or lower. We don't really have many impact prospects at higher levels. There's Sheffield. Mike King has kinda burst onto the scene this year as well. But other than that our top higher level guys have had down years or have been injured.

https://nypost.com/2018/08/13/its-be...is-underrated/

This is the article I am referencing where the NY Post interviewed Norris and Callis. I don't know how you can say a farm system is among the deepest in the game then rank them in the bottom half. I don't get that comment. I understand that proximity is important, but making that comment is confusing

Here is Callis' quote “I still think they have one of the deepest systems in baseball,” said MLB Pipeline’s Jim Callis

How do you say that then rank them 17th? I don't understand it

Here is a Norris quote. “They have so many guys who throw mid- to upper 90s, it’s kind of insane,” Norris said
    Hal sucks

One trade that seemed to have worked out in our favor was the Garrett Cooper and Caleb Smith deal to the Marlins for Michael King and INTL money. King was drafted out of BC in the 12th round and initially was sitting in the 80s. He has since elevated his velo into the 92-94 range topping out at 96. He throws a hard sinker as well as 2 good secondary pitches and solid command. He squarely fit into the mid to back end of a rotation pile. Well, things have changed this season. The Yanks made their tweaks and he's been unstoppable. The Yanks got him after he finished his A league debut in 2017. All he has done is rip his way through the minor leagues and is now clearly in the prospect picture in NYY and around MLB. His cumulative effort on the year is 155.1IP 115H 31ER 27BB 148K for an ERA of 1.80, a WHIP of 0.91, 8.6K/9IP, 1.6BB/9IP and a stupid 5.5K/BB. Add in that his groundball rate is elite and you have a guy who is clearly in the rotation picture or the trade picture for next season. Considering he spent all year in the SAL in 2017 and has rocketed up to AAA is amazing. Also, consider his last start in AAA, he threw 6 perfect innings with 6K's. His AAA line is just stupid. 1.09ERA, 27/4 K:BB, 0.64WHIP in 5 starts. Keep an eye on him.

Another name to keep an eye on is Deivi Garcia. He turned 19 3 months ago and is all the way to High A. He started in extended and saw a promotion to long season A ball in June. He did very well in the SAL, striking out 63 in 40.2IP and working to a 3.76ERA and a 1.01 WHIP. After some moves, the vacuum pushed him to High A, where he has just taken off. 5 starts. 1.27ERA, 0.95WHIP, 11.1K/9IP 2.6BB/9IP. This is a kid who started the year sitting in the low 90s and topping out at 96. Now he is sitting in the mid 90s. His curveball is just deadly and his change has come along. His command and poise at a young age is rare and he is cementing himself as a true top 100 prospect. Expect to see him at the back end of the end of season top 100 prospect lists.
    Hal sucks

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    https://nypost.com/2018/08/13/its-be...is-underrated/

This is the article I am referencing where the NY Post interviewed Norris and Callis. I don't know how you can say a farm system is among the deepest in the game then rank them in the bottom half. I don't get that comment. I understand that proximity is important, but making that comment is confusing

Here is Callis' quote “I still think they have one of the deepest systems in baseball,” said MLB Pipeline’s Jim Callis

How do you say that then rank them 17th? I don't understand it

Here is a Norris quote. “They have so many guys who throw mid- to upper 90s, it’s kind of insane,” Norris said
    Most organizations, and certainly Baseball America, rank prospects on the likelihood of being impact players.

I think their point was that the Yankees have a large quantity of players who might make an impact, the quality of that impact from many of them might not be so great. A future utility infielder, for example, is a future major leaguer. While this is a good thing to have, it doesn't really increase the impact from the farm substantially.

But it does allow for one more minimum wage player on the team, increasing the available budget. However, this is likely not taken into consideration when measuring the impact of the farm, and it should not be.

The Yanks have had, on the whole, a bad farm season year. This is in stark comparison to the major league squad, where we will likely have 1 and 2 in the ROY voting. Consider that, if the Yanks do have 1 and 2 in the ROY voting, they will have had 4 players in the top 2 over the past 3 yrs. They also had #6 last year in Montgomery, not too shabby. But I digress

They've got a really strange farm now, with all the moves made. We've got one real blue chip offensive prospect who's season was wrecked by a broken wrist in Florial. Other than that, we've seen more guys tank than rise. On the tank side, Thairo Estrada has missed almost the whole year recovering from a gunshot wound in the offseason. Tyler Wade continues to prove he will be a utility guy and maybe a third tier MIF at the big league level. Dermis Garcia showed he at least belonged in long season, but his K rate only marginally improved and his power took a small step back. The most likely guy on the offensive side to be a big league starter is Kyle Holder, and that's because he has the best glove maybe in the entire league, but he can barely hit his weight. Hoy Jun Park continues to show amazing OBP capability and speed, but the hit tool is lacking. The offensive list goes on and on. They clearly added to the farm in a big way with Cabello, Salinas, Seigler, Rosario, Rojas, Garcia, Breaux and Green, yet they're only in short season. So I get the proximity component in the rankings on the offensive end. They've got guys with the talent, but aside from Dom Thompson-Williams, nobody really took the reigns offensively in the long season leagues. DTW, btw, has been awesome with a near .900OPS and 3 steals away from a 20/20 season.

But on the pitching end, we have everybody. I would venture to say we have the deepest pitching system in the minors, and it aint close. Also, we brought in a ton of pitching talent in 2017 both via INTL and draft modes. From Sheffield at the top to now Swanson, King, Abreu, Loaisiga, Adams, D. Garcia, Schmidt, Stephan, Otto, Lehnen, German, Acevedo, Whitlock, Contreras, Sauer, Nelson, Green, Depaula, etc etc etc. The list is deep. Nobody can match the velocities or the stuff of our pitchers.
    Hal sucks

Well, this past week was interesting as the regular season ended today.

Dermis Garcia launched 2HR today. He played the entire season as a 20 yr old and while his first half was awful, his second half OPS was .827 and he hit 15HR's in 88 games. The kid has power, we will see if he can harness it next year likely in the FSL

Albert Abreu finished 2018 on a good note, debuting in AA and throwing 5 hitless innings. It's been somewhat of a lost year for Abreu, initially missing time with an appendectomy then having shoulder fatigue, but he finished well. He is still a top 100 prospect and the plan is to let him get through an offseason healthy and likely debut in AA next season

Domingo Acevedo had two month long DL stints this season, one arm related, another from a concussion sustained from a BP line drive. Acevedo was supposedly big league ready and even spent a day on the big league roster, but this year was mostly a wash due to injury. He will head to the AFL to add to his innings.

Deivi Garcia got the call to Trenton to finish out the season. He tossed 5 hitless innings in his last start of the year at a new level. He hasn't even turned 20 yet and won't do so until 6 weeks into the big league season next year. The kid is incredible, and is clearly on the radar for the big club except for his innings. He's only at 74IP as most teenagers get capped in the 80 range. If one considers the 30-40IP rule per season, he won't be ready for even a partial season big league load until 2020.

Michael King finished the year strong, beating Pawtucket with a brilliant 6IP 1ER outing. The kid has been nothing short of spectacular. He's allowed more than 3ER in a start once in 24 starts this season. He's allowed 3ER twice. The other 21 outings have seen him allow 2 or less earned runs. That is absolutely fantastic. He's also shown that he gets better with each promotion. If he starts out hot in AAA in 2019, he will likely have a spot on the big league club
    Hal sucks